Quarles leaving Maryville?

rebeldozer44

Thes iz all goodur points.......GQ likes playin' golf and bein' with hiz boys....Knott shore on tha 4th ov July picknick fer GQ........Butt momma coodun't heer a church bell rang when'st she gits intwo her picknick baskit.......

SdB........If'un GQ did az good az E.T. Bass then eye feel good.... :popcorneater:

+1

There are six (6) levels of college football with those being NCAA D1 (FBS & FCS), NCAA D2, NCAA D3, NAIA and Junior College. Which level would fit GQ the best. Like I stated in a previous post I feel that he would start at the bottom in most NCAA D1 programs, possibly be the OC at a NCAA D2 school but he would be qualified to be the HC at a NCAA D3 school. When comparing X's & O's he would be fine but what get's most guys is they don't want to stay at the office from 6:00am-11:00pm most every night of the week. Add recruiting to the list as all college assistant coaches are given a geographical area that they are responsible for and that takes tons of time. Would GQ want to be at a July 4th picnic with his family and take calls from recruits. If you are going to be successful that is what must be done. I am not saying that GQ couldn't do it but he may very well not want to work 24/7.

I agree the hours are tough for college coaches however I'm also sure that Quarles has worked plenty of daylight to late night types of days in his coaching career. He had to put in some time along the way for Maryville to have such an edge over the competition.

During the off season I mentioned that he could go to the next level and be successful and I had a lot of people thinking I was daring him but I was just thinking out loud that he had done just about everything you can possibly do at the high school level. I got a lot of people arguing that he would never leave and he couldn't succeed at a higher level. During the same week I just happened to be listening to Jimmy Hyams on radio and he was ask his thoughts and he flat out said he could make it at the next level but his sources have told him he has not only turned down one SEC school but a couple which I didn't know about. GQ is on everyone's radar and he has had many chances to leave. My personal opinion is that he will be here at Maryville until his kids are through the system which will be another twelve years. He is a great x's and o's coach and no matter what others do to copy his system he keeps getting better. He has two real good coaches in Ellis and Gaylor that would be very hard to replace if they ever left. He also has a few younger coaches that will be the future and I hope they take it all down while he is here. I don't think Jefferson County will stand a chance of getting GQ to come back because it would be a major step backwards and he's smart enough to know that. Eventually the day will come when he steps down but I believe having a job where you have no stress because of the system you have built under you would be to hard to leave for that fact alone. Maryville is one of the very few communities in the entire state where the feeder system has as much to do with the strength of the program and that my friends would be another reason I can't see him leaving for another high school job. It's fun to win football games but it's also fun to watch a team develop and get stronger as the year goes forward. No doubt in my mind that Blackman and Oakland would have beat Maryville had they played them in the first two games of the year in 2014 but when it's playoff time things come together and I've seen it time after time. Right now I would tell anyone we don't get past the 13th game because both offensive and defensive line was wiped out from graduation and you have two new QB's that have the tools to succeed but their development will come in time and not the first game which could be very helpful to Fulton at the first of the season. The other jolt that could be very expensive to Maryville is the possibility of the Kicker/Punter not returning to the team which would be big because the kid is most likely the best in the state at both positions. Maryville has always started slow most times in the past for the same reasons but seems to pull it together by playoff time so again we will see.

Barney, you don't realize the prestige associated with living in patriot hills. The opportunity to live in an exclusive neighborhood and ressurect the hometown football team may be too much to turn down. From what I'm hearing they are offering the baseball job to Gaylor if GQ comes home. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see GQ coaching the patriots "within 2 years"

Jefferson County High School is like a sardine can and they have let the place get in such awful condition that the roof fell in on the vocational building due to lack of proper upkeep which would have killed a bunch of kids had it fallen during the school year. The place is a rat hole and I can't see leaving the penthouse for the outhouse.

• Upvote 1

Jefferson County High School is like a sardine can and they have let the place get in such awful condition that the roof fell in on the vocational building due to lack of proper upkeep which would have killed a bunch of kids had it fallen during the school year. The place is a rat hole and I can't see leaving the penthouse for the outhouse.

Its been said that Jefferson county government is "more corrupt than the memphis school system". And 6 weeks ago everyone would agree there's no way George quarles leaves maryville, especially for JCHS. Many patriot fans wished it would happen, but no one thought it actually would. Until rebels baseball was handled worse than when ut fired fulmer, or even what has gone with ut basketball. But when the botched firing happened Jefferson boosters were ready to pounce. If I was a maryville fan I would want to know who opened this can of worms. Who is maryville's "jimmy cheek"?

Its been said that Jefferson county government is "more corrupt than the memphis school system". And 6 weeks ago everyone would agree there's no way George quarles leaves maryville, especially for JCHS. Many patriot fans wished it would happen, but no one thought it actually would. Until rebels baseball was handled worse than when ut fired fulmer, or even what has gone with ut basketball. But when the botched firing happened Jefferson boosters were ready to pounce. If I was a maryville fan I would want to know who opened this can of worms. Who is maryville's "jimmy cheek"?

Some of the people that you know can't say much because they are involved with some or parts of the program and can't name names. When Denny Garner lost the election last year for school board we lost a very valuable asset that kelp an eye out for the sports program. Just like the Supreme Court when one good egg goes out and one bad egg takes it's place things change. I knew as soon as that happened it wouldn't be no time before bad things would creep into the sports programs and I'll be dang if I wasn't right. Maryville School System is one of those Politically Correct Systems that hides around the corner when  something happens or they dress something up to hide what they really want. Case point is when you attend a football game at Maryville they announce stadium rules such as no animals, No boom boxes, no smoking of chewing, no laser pointers, no cow bells, and the biggie, No FLAGS ON POLES. They don't want the kids bringing Rebel Flags to the ballgames so they dress it up with all this B.S. to avoid saying what they really want. The fans have heard that announcement so many times that some get up and repeat as it's being announced  like the National Anthem.  I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy an away game so much better than to go up there and listen to that nonsense. We don't go anywhere else and listen to that kind of garbage.

Edited by BarneySox2007

m8ml9l.jpg

Barn, I like the sarcasm. Enjoyed meeting you Friday. Hope you're at the next LC I'm able to go to. I know you guys have a good pulse on rebels football, but I would never ask to name names. But if I was a maryville fan after all this has happened and caused all these rumors to start swirling around I would ask myself, who is maryville's "jimmy cheek"?

Barn, I like the sarcasm. Enjoyed meeting you Friday. Hope you're at the next LC I'm able to go to. I know you guys have a good pulse on rebels football, but I would never ask to name names. But if I was a maryville fan after all this has happened and caused all these rumors to start swirling around I would ask myself, who is maryville's "jimmy cheek"?

The school board is the Jimmy Cheek when it comes down to it. I don't like to name people either until I can get more concrete evidence on the main culprit I'll stay quiet. Maryville has a good system overall but there have been many times in the past I've seen some dirty things done. The biggest gripe I have about the entire program is that the man that is solely responsible for building a winning traditions name is no where to be seen on that whole campus and that is Ted B Wilson.  You talk about dirty, that is dirty as it get's. This man won three championships when Maryville had less than 500 kids going to school there and that was when only eight teams from each class went to the playoffs and you had three classes. He was there when the feeder system was built which grows a good crop of players every year. You have a press box bearing the name of a mayor that objected to upgrades to the sports programs that announced the ball games when he was alive. That is the equivalent of Mayberry naming it's press box after Otis Campbell if you get my drift. The program back then had three coaches which included the head coach.  I know a lot of people think Maryville has always had things handed to it on a silver platter but that wasn't the case back when Wilson and Story were the coach's. They had a stingy Superintendent at the time that was so cheap that you were lucky to get a blown out light bulb replaced and the stadium they have now wouldn't have happened until a lady fell off the back of the old one and sued the city and they finally figured it out that a new place could be built cheaper than defending lawsuits from people getting hurt on the old one.