David Lipscomb Vs. Huntingdon

westTN2004

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man of Troy,

The record books will always show DL as second in 2A this year. I realize this is all a mute point because the Milan and DL teams from this year will never play but Milan did beat the team that beat DL in the Championship game. Milan had one loss and DL had one loss. Milan's loss was by 5 points and DL's loss was by 34 points. Both of these losses were to Huntingdon. I would have to say the Milan would probably beat DL head-to-head, but we will never know.

This is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own.

If you are a DL fan, good luck next year. I'm not sure how much DL is losing, but I believe the QB and WR will be returning. They should have a pretty good team again next year.

What was obvious was that they were MAYBE about the 6th best AA team in the state behind:

1. Huntingdon

2. Milan

3. Carver

4. Lewis County

5. McKenzie

mustang69,

How can you say that? Ya'll didn't beat Tyner! Did you? So you have no right to talk about us being the sixth best team in the State, because you like to make your little friends feel good! You did beat us, but you keeping trying to make it out that Huntington and Milan are the best teams in the State! I would have to agree that Huntington is the best team in the State! They are really good! But the rest are just your buddies, so ya'll like to stick together! That's all I have to say about your abnormally stupid remark!

What has Tyner go to do with anything? So what if you beat Tyner? Lipscomb beating Tyner doesn't really make me think a whole lot of Tyner. I'm just giving my opinion based on what I have seen on the field, there is no question in MY mind that MILAN would drub DL. CARVER lost two games, 1 to a 4A school and the other to MILAN and they have the same kind of speed that HTOWN had. Never mind the fact that LEWIS COUNTY drubbed DL in the preseason, it is my observation that if DL and LC had started playing last Friday and were still playing today DL still would not have scored on them. MCKENZIE would give DL all they wanted so I will give the edge on 5th to HTOWNS Carroll County neighbor. I'm not trying to offend just giving my observations. You should never consider Huntingdon to be "buddies" with any of the teams I have listed ahead of DL, but I give respect where it is due in my opinion. There are some classy posters on here from all of our competition however.

P.S. you need to let it go against 9yrold. champs....you are making an horses tail out of yourself.

Mustang 69,

The fine people of DL (and I don't mean this sarcastically) don't have the rich tradition of a Milan/Huntingdon rivalry that goes back before any of us on this board were even born. They don't know what it's like to play in front of 6,000 people in a non-region regular season game. I hope someday they will get to experience something that we may sometimes take for granted.

Edited by 9yr.oldchamps

Mustang 69,

The fine people of DL (and I don't me this sarcastically) don't have the rich tradition of a Milan/Huntingdon rivalry that goes back before any of us on this board were even born. They don't know what it's like to play in front of 6,000 people in a non-region regular season game. I hope someday they will get to experience something that we may sometimes take for granted.

9 yr old champs.

You have a good point (and there are many fine people at Lipscomb, Milan, Huntingdon...). While my kids go to Lipscomb, I grew up in West Tennessee. There is nothing like the game with the big rival, when both towns close up shop just after sun down and turn out for the big game.

I grew up a little southwest of Milan, but I have some great memories of Ripley vs. Covington when there were far more people than the stadiums could hold and you couldn't hear the signals because the crowd was so loud and the bands were playing. I know when Milan plays Huntingdon, Trenton, Humbolt,... the atmosphere is electric. Most teams in West Tennessee measure their season on how they can play against Milan. A lot of people up here just don't understand the tradition that Milan developed under Coach Tucker and that continues today.

There was a great crowd at this year's Lipscomb/Goodpasture game. It is the closest I have seen to a West Tennessee atmosphere. In 1988 when Lipscomb played Milan in the quarterfinals in Nashville, the Lipscomb fans were shocked when they arrived 10 minutes before kickoff and found Milan had filled the visitors stands (they are small) and over 1/3 of the homeside. Huntingdon did the same thing in the 94 playoffs.

Congratulations to Huntingdon.

Edited by tackle

Well after a couple of days to reflect here are my feelings on the game. Lipscomb did all they were supposed to do. They went out and won 14 games and played everyone in their region and in the playoffs. You cannot help what region you are in. They totally dominated the east side of the bracket. Convincing wins over a powerful but an under achieving Tyner team and an impressive win over a good young Alcoa team. Lipscomb honestly was never challenged much after the Goodpasture game and their fans, media, players and coaches were probably lulled into a false sense of security after all Lipscomb had won 20 straight games and had not been challenged by Mitchell last year so who would have thought that the west would have improved that much. Those who saw Milan and Huntingdon play were probably decieved because you had two strong teams playing on a muddy slow field.

It was clear to everyone in the stadium Friday night that Huntingdon's line of scrimmage took control of the game early and never let go. Also Huntingdon appeared to be lightening fast on the turf and Bell had a career night. If you control the line you usually win. If the teams played 10 times Huntingdon would probably win 8. Just like Oklahoma and Kansas State. Oklahoma was the better team but on that night they were dominated. Not that I am saying that Lipscomb was better because they were not. We all know that football is a funny game. Milan thumps Hunt. early and then gets beat late.

West Tn. folks say well Lipscomb was the number 6 team in the state and etc.....but here is the fact they were there and Huntingdon was there so the best team from the east played the best team from the West and on this night the west was better. If you look back over the last several years I bet you find that the east has more championships than the west.

So Milan fans quit trying to rationalize about how good you were and acknowledge that Huntingdon got the gold ball and Lipscomb the silver ball and you got to the final four and had a great season. Lipcomb has a state championship and a runner up and went 37-5 over a three year period.....Where were the great teams last year when Lipscomb blew out Mitchell. I am sure Lipscomb was thinking if Mitchell was the best you had to offer then it would be a cake walk....Congratualtions to Huntingdon on a dream season and their state championship.....and don't forget the names Tyner and Alcoa.......the beast of the east will be back.....

9yr.oldchamps,

I don't understand how you can say that?

ManofTroy, let me explain a little better by some examples.

I have used this example before on another thread but here it is. I will present 3 of Henry Co's losses this year to 5A schools and also to Milan. I usually don't put much stock into comparing scores, however, this one seemed like a reliable trend to go by.

HC 0 - Franklin 40 (5A semifinalist)

HC 12 - Brentwood 37 (Defending 5A champ)

HC 7 - Dickson Co. 35 (5A playoffs)

HC 6 - Milan 35 (2A semifinalist)

Milan 24 - Huntingdon 6 regular season (week 7)

Huntingdon 34- Milan 29 in the semi's

Huntingdon 48 - DL 14 (with the starters taken out of game with 7 minutes to go)

There's no doubt in my mind that Milan would've rolled right through Lipscomb this year. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for your program and you guys would probably roll through us next year(if both teams were to play), but it wouldn't have happened in 03'. Milan is the second best team this year in 2A.

Statistics are for losers....Officially Huntingdon state champ, Officially Lipscomb Runner-up. Officially Milan either 3 or 4th place. That is the way the record book will always read...so get over it 9 year champ....and show up in Murfreesboro next year to walk the walk.....Except the east will rise again and with Lipscomb, Goodpasture, Alcoa, or Tyner will take home the gold ball.....I mean face it you could not even beat a bad Mitchell team last year to get there....Huntingdon improved all year and your 24-6 win over them turned out to be a fluke.