TSSAA

pujo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Judges...can we accept that answer......Ohhh, I'm sooo sorry Bill73. but that's not an answer that added anything to the board...We have some lovely parting gifts for you on your way back to the middle school playground..."

Guys, TSSAA voted for the logical decision. I know some of you guys from smaller schools want a title so badly that you are willing to do anything for it...but would you sacrifice competition to win a title? Would you be willing to remove all the good teams that are out there so that you win a "championship?" By your posts on here, it looks as if that is exactly what you are doing...you want the road to Murfreesboro paved with patsies, not good competitive teams. Right now the road is a tough one to travel, and all these streetlights emitting green light of envy don't help things much...Play teams and play them the best you can...if you lose, then you know you gave your all- and that, my friends, is what sports and more importantly competing are all about.

We have had record breaking teams for several years now and the private schools have had their way with us. In four years we have only lost 5 games, 4 of those to private schools in the play-offs. Its unfortunate, but we have to deal with it. Even when it affects the kids who work their butts off all year and then realize they have to go through 4 private schools to win a state title. Lets be realistic, those are almost impossible odds, especially for small town teams like Collinwood, Cloudland, Wayne Co. etc. But our kids dont give up. I dont hold this against the players or parents, I have had the honor of meeting some of them and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out they are as friendly and compassionate as anyone, this is in the hands of administration. We have to keep our heads up and keep on going. Win or lose I am going to support my two brothers and the rest of the players, no matter what team they are on. Yes, I would like to see a championship title in the CHS trophy case. We dont have one for football.

I think they are more concerned with pavement.

"We went down there to USJ, and they had more blacktop on their campus than we have in the whole city of Collinwood," Luker said.

I think someone in the state highway dept. must have heard that because they just repaved the entire town. Seriously the whole town.

"Judges...can we accept that answer......Ohhh, I'm sooo sorry Bill73. but that's not an answer that added anything to the board...We have some lovely parting gifts for you on your way back to the middle school playground..."

Guys, TSSAA voted for the logical decision.  I know some of you guys from smaller schools want a title so badly that you are willing to do anything for it...but would you sacrifice competition to win a title?  Would you be willing to remove all the good teams that are out there so that you win a "championship?"  By your posts on here, it looks as if that is exactly what you are doing...you want the road to Murfreesboro paved with patsies, not good competitive teams.  Right now the road is a tough one to travel, and all these streetlights emitting green light of envy don't help things much...Play teams and play them the best you can...if you lose, then you know you gave your all- and that, my friends, is what sports and more importantly competing are all about.

We have had record breaking teams for several years now and the private schools have had their way with us. In four years we have only lost 5 games, 4 of those to private schools in the play-offs. Its unfortunate, but we have to deal with it. Even when it affects the kids who work their butts off all year and then realize they have to go through 4 private schools to win a state title. Lets be realistic, those are almost impossible odds, especially for small town teams like Collinwood, Cloudland, Wayne Co. etc. But our kids dont give up. I dont hold this against the players or parents, I have had the honor of meeting some of them and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out they are as friendly and compassionate as anyone, this is in the hands of administration. We have to keep our heads up and keep on going. Win or lose I am going to support my two brothers and the rest of the players, no matter what team they are on. Yes, I would like to see a championship title in the CHS trophy case. We dont have one for football.

GreenMan, the answer is obvious. What is the main problem facing 1A publics regarding their ability (or lack thereof) to compete with 1A privates? It's the privates' ability to get students from basically anywhere, right? Whereas most 1A schools don't have the advantage of the open zones of which Volunteergeneral is so enamoured. The answer is to simply make Wayne county an open zoned school district. Granted, one of the teams would suffer, but then one team would be on a more leveled playing field with the metropolitan privates. Just think of how good you'd be if you had the best players in Wayne county on one team. Same goes for all rural counties with two or more schools. School zoning, to the best of my knowledge, isn't controlled by TSSAA.

For those of you unaccustomed...Wayne county has around 17,000 people living in an area of around 734 square miles, which is around 23 people per square mile. There are 3 high schools. All are 1A in all sports. Clifton doesn't have a football team.

For comparison, Davidson county has around 565,000 residents living in an area of around 502 square miles which comes to approximately 1,135 people per square mile. There are 6 1A privates, 1 2A private (2 if you count Goodpasture), 0 3A schools, 7 4A schools, and 4 5A schools. Father Ryan and MBA are in D2.

On a sidenote...does anyone realize how scary a private school strategically located on the north side of Murfreesboro would be? There are 6 5A schools in Rutherford county. Relatively no competition from other privates for athletes....er....I mean... students for 25 miles. Middle Tennessee Christian doesn't count because they don't play football (or any sport, as far as I know).

FYI - The vote today was on the Collinwood proposal. The next meeting will deal with re-alignment and re-structure of regions (my guess is that the 2x multiplier will be in place, though it'll be the highest multiplier in the nation.)

Grandmaw said it best: "Patience is a virtue, never fuss about a paint job til it's dry."

You didn't expect them to get something done this quick did you?

Let's hope the idiots are smart enough NOT to invoke a multiplier. All they would be doing then is moving the problem up a class or two.

Guys, TSSAA voted for the logical decision. I know some of you guys from smaller schools want a title so badly that you are willing to do anything for it...but would you sacrifice competition to win a title? Would you be willing to remove all the good teams that are out there so that you win a "championship?" By your posts on here, it looks as if that is exactly what you are doing...you want the road to Murfreesboro paved with patsies, not good competitive teams. Right now the road is a tough one to travel, and all these streetlights emitting green light of envy don't help things much...Play teams and play them the best you can...if you lose, then you know you gave your all- and that, my friends, is what sports and more importantly competing are all about.

So why are the privates complaning, move up and give your kids this valuble lesson, I feel the privates are the ones who are afraid of having to face equal competition. Why do you think they are the ones dominating this whole debate. They don't want to face comparable compitition. Is it not so funny how they are so concerned about the small publics learning a valuble lesson.

Guys, TSSAA voted for the logical decision.  I know some of you guys from smaller schools want a title so badly that you are willing to do anything for it...but would you sacrifice competition to win a title?  Would you be willing to remove all the good teams that are out there so that you win a "championship?"  By your posts on here, it looks as if that is exactly what you are doing...you want the road to Murfreesboro paved with patsies, not good competitive teams.  Right now the road is a tough one to travel, and all these streetlights emitting green light of envy don't help things much...Play teams and play them the best you can...if you lose, then you know you gave your all- and that, my friends, is what sports and more importantly competing are all about.

GreenMan, the answer is obvious. What is the main problem facing 1A publics regarding their ability (or lack thereof) to compete with 1A privates? It's the privates' ability to get students from basically anywhere, right? Whereas most 1A schools don't have the advantage of the open zones of which Volunteergeneral is so enamoured. The answer is to simply make Wayne county an open zoned school district. Granted, one of the teams would suffer, but then one team would be on a more leveled playing field with the metropolitan privates. Just think of how good you'd be if you had the best players in Wayne county on one team. Same goes for all rural counties with two or more schools. School zoning, to the best of my knowledge, isn't controlled by TSSAA.

For those of you unaccustomed...Wayne county has around 17,000 people living in an area of around 734 square miles, which is around 23 people per square mile. There are 3 high schools. All are 1A in all sports. Clifton doesn't have a football team.

For comparison, Davidson county has around 565,000 residents living in an area of around 502 square miles which comes to approximately 1,135 people per square mile. There are 6 1A privates, 1 2A private (2 if you count Goodpasture), 0 3A schools, 7 4A schools, and 4 5A schools. Father Ryan and MBA are in D2.

On a sidenote...does anyone realize how scary a private school strategically located on the north side of Murfreesboro would be? There are 6 5A schools in Rutherford county. Relatively no competition from other privates for athletes....er....I mean... students for 25 miles. Middle Tennessee Christian doesn't count because they don't play football (or any sport, as far as I know).

926, has there ever been talk about combining the 3 schools? I know there are some counties where there is only one high school, Stewart Co. comes to mind. Yet in Wilson Co, you've got 3 large high schools and Watertown, 1A. Would that be an option? Economically, does it make sense to have 3 high schools in Wayne Co., given its' population?

In four years we have only lost 5 games, 4 of those to private schools in the play-offs.

Then maybe your coaches should quite scheduling the easiest teams around and start playing some tougher teams. Boyd has lost 9 or 10 games in the last 3 years because they play tougher teams outside of their region games. If your team only lost 5 games in 4 years, they were intentionally playing patsies. Maybe if you would play some of those private schools during the regular season, you would be better prepared in the playoffs.

if there was such a person/family that is so warped that they base educational decisions strictly on high school football (as laughable as that sounds, given that it leads to something more for about 1 and 50,000 players), why would they NOT go to Oakland or Riverdale? They have some of the best coaching in the state (in Riverdale's case, maybe the best coach in the state). They churn out D-1 prospects and NFL players, and always compete for championships. That argument makes no sense. What competitive advantage would a private HS in Rutheford County have (in sports)?

Edited by MBAalumnus

No! The 1A privates are the ones who want the road to championships paved with patsies. If they really wanted competion they would do like BA did and play up as high as they felt they could compete. 36-3 privates vs publics the last two years in the 1A and 2A playoffs is proof of that!

Edited by GregC

Play teams and play them the best you can...if you lose, then you know you gave your all- and that, my friends, is what sports and more importantly competing is all about.

I totally agree with your logic. Why don't you 1a privates move up to 5a (for better competition) and play the likes of Riverdale on a yearly basis. Play them the best you can (just like CPA did Riverdale(Riverale is rebuilding this year)). Afterall isn't that what sports and competing is all about? ;) You don't need to beat them...just competing is good enough. Or better yet...just practice harder and get better coaches and parental involvement. You ought to make up that 52 point difference in no time. Of course Riverdale will likely be 20 or 30 points better next year than they are this year. You might want to get about 80 points better to compete.

Edited by Antwan