Vote

nolesfan

Smithke...It`s sad but there are some people who wouldn`t think things are fair until the private school couldn`t win a game. Milan a 2A school beat us (JCM) a 4A school this year. Infact they kicked our butt. JCM made it to the 3rd round of the 4A playoffs this year. If Milan were a private school then people would complain. Yet they are a public school so that`s ok.

Milan is a 2A school and they have a much larger zone than JCM which is a 4A school. Is that fair?

Why do 1A schools think they should get relief when inequities abound throughout the system?

If we are going to fix something then let`s fix it throughout the system.

I understand what the 1A schools are saying but your gripe is not against private schools. It`s against the inequities that the TSSAA affords a lot of schools both public and private. Private schools have extra leverage from an open zone and the TSSAA allows public schools to have the same thing if their local school system allows it.

Quit barking up the private tree. That isn`t your problem. Nashville just gave open zone staus to several schools there. Does that improve their opportunities for a succesful program? You bet it does.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milan a 2A school beat us (JCM) a 4A school this year. Infact they kicked our butt. JCM made it to the 3rd round of the 4A playoffs this year. If Milan were a private school then people would complain. Yet they are a public school so that`s ok.

Milan is a 2A school and they have a much larger zone than JCM which is a 4A school. Is that fair?

Are you saying we have an unfair advantage over JCM because of open school zones?

this is to no one in particular, but just how is it that a public school like Riverdale can win championship after championship, and a school with similar enrollment #'s like McGavock can't make it out of the first round of the play-offs (that's an exagerration)? Shouldn't the McGavock community protest that it's unfair that Riverdale gets a good HC in Gary Rankin and they don't? Is there something in the water in Rutheford county?

this is to no one in particular, but just how is it that a public school like Riverdale can win championship after championship, and a school with similar enrollment #'s like McGavock can't make it out of the first round of the play-offs (that's an exagerration)? Shouldn't the McGavock community protest that it's unfair that Riverdale gets a good HC in Gary Rankin and they don't? Is there something in the water in Rutheford county?

I think you're on to something here. :P

Every private school that I am associated with and every magnet school that I am associated with selects their sports participants form the hallways of the school. It may make you feel better to think that these schools hand pick sports stars from around the area, but it just isn't so. Take the coaching staff at ANY top-notch program and put them ANYWHERE else and the program will get better. The support, participation and interest will increase and the team will advance farther and farther as time progresses.

Is there an advantage to having a large area to draw students from? Probably, but that fact alone won't cut it. The multiplier would eliminate that advantage.

I've said sooooo many times before- I have close ties to many different types of schools and the good sports programs all have the same things in common, the type of school has very little to do with it.

Quote: (an excerpt from local news TV coverage after the Lipscomb/Tyner game) " Lipscomb couldn't have won that game on paper- they were outmanned at most every position. But they did what most championship teams do- they execute to near perfection and are well-disciplined, fundamentally sound. "

Think about it!

Edited by 37421

Every private school that I am associated with and every magnet school that I am associated with selects their sports participants form the hallways of the school. It may make you feel better to think that these schools hand pick sports stars from around the area, but it just isn't so. Take the coaching staff at ANY top-notch program and put them ANYWHERE else and the program will get better. The support, participation and interest will increase and the team will advance farther and farther as time progresses.

Is there an advantage to having a large area to draw students from? Probably, but that fact alone won't cut it. The multiplier would eliminate that advantage.

I've said sooooo many times before- I have close ties to many different types of schools and the good sports programs all have the same things in common, the type of school has very little to do with it.

What is the process of getting into your halls though???????

Put the entire coaching staff at MBA, Brentwood Academy, Boyd, Baylor, McCallie at Red Boiling Springs, Clay County, Lookout Valley, Rockwood, and Tennessee Prep and see how many state championships they win there. If it is just bad coaching at these public schools.

No disrespect to the public schools mentioned.

Take the coaching staff at ANY top-notch program and put them ANYWHERE else and the program will get better. The support, participation and interest will increase and the team will advance farther and farther as time progresses.

you nailed it. Which is why, in my obnoxious way, I'm saying that this system needs to be dramatically overhauled so that quality coaches can move freely within the system. How is it possible that the Ezell Harding head coach, who took a dormant program and turned it into a state champion in a few years (he was an assistant at Nashville Christian not too long ago), be DENIED a prominent head coaching job in metro Nashville? Those schools should have bent over backwards to give him a job!!! A top young mind who--GASP--actually wants to leave a top private program to coach in the metro system and he is told, "sorry, you don't have any seniority so no thanks." It's unreal!!!

kicking the private schools out just hides the real problems...a free market solution would have the public schools kicking the privates' rears every year...

I find it hard to believe that the TSSAA asked for everyone's input and preference and then did exactly what they wanted to do instead! I for one, am not happy about this! What do others think?

I can speak for the 2 West TN council members. They voted the way they wanted to. This was after they had polled every school in their districts. A total of 53 schools were polled and a grand total of 11 said they wanted a split. Now do you think they were wrong in not voting for a split?

If the Board of Control doesn't vote in a multiplier, I think the small schools should raise Heck. This is a sad day for public schools across Tennessee. It is not fair to any of these small schools. Just look at the record of the private schools in tennessee since 2000 vs public schools. There are only two private schools in AA football and they dominate every year. When will the public school football coaches say enough is enough? Edited by caesar