Knoxville Area Coaches

PLACALL

jjwsiv, didn't say I wasn't worried about CARTER did I? The honest truth is Gibbs needs a change and it's way overdue. I know several people that have graced the hallways of Gibbs and they all keep commenting how coach Carroll can't get the job done. What has he done since they moved Gibbs out of the cupcake conference in the beginning of the 90s?

The same could be said about carter.

With the athletes they have how is it possible that they only win 3 or 4 games a year?

Edited by redbyrd84

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part the "athletes" at Gibbs simply do not see the need nor do they want to play for the current football staff.

That's the problem, alot of kids today have this notion that someone owes them something. What an excuse!! I would have played football for anyone!!!!!! I loved the game and no one was going to stop me from playing no matter what, I didn't want to work, I didn't want to buy a car, I didn't want to specialize in one sport. I wanted to put on my #32 and play every Friday night.

I played for a coach in college that I couldn't stand, but I played because I love football and that man no matter what he said was never going to run me off!!

I just find that unless there is a major, and I mean major conflict, would quitting be the response that I would suggest for my child.

Anyway, I do have a response that I'm going to post later that I think many programs can relate to.

That's the problem, alot of kids today have this notion that someone owes them something. What an excuse!! I would have played football for anyone!!!!!! I loved the game and no one was going to stop me from playing no matter what, I didn't want to work, I didn't want to buy a car, I didn't want to specialize in one sport. I wanted to put on my #32 and play every Friday night.

I played for a coach in college that I couldn't stand, but I played because I love football and that man no matter what he said was never going to run me off!!

I just find that unless there is a major, and I mean major conflict, would quitting be the response that I would suggest for my child.

Anyway, I do have a response that I'm going to post later that I think many programs can relate to.

Where did you play college ball?

We have to coach a different kind of kid today. That I see is the problem. If you can't learn to deal with today's kid then maybe you need to change. It would be nice to have all those kids like we had 20 years ago, that played no mattter what, but we don't. Either learn to deal with today's kid or get out. Apparently Fulton, AE, Central, and Maryville, and many others have it.

High School Coaches all over the country work very hard and the general public do not even have a clue as to what they do. Alot of what they do is above and beyond the call of duty and what is written in their job description. It is usually appreciated by the students, faculty and community.

However, this does not entitle them to remain in their position if they are no longer effective or have not proven that they can handle the job after a number of years on the job. The work and effort that is done in any job in any profession should be appreciated by ones peers and others affected by the hard work.

Maybe the coaches in our area that are so hard working but could not build and maintain a reputable football program after 25 years in their position should step aside and let someone else try to do what they could not accomplish. The hard working coaches could stay and remain as assistant coaches or could be hired to do the field work or other jobs that they have done so well over the years at their present school or at another school.

In the business world a person who works hard but has not proven themselves after 25 years to be good at their job is usually asked to step aside or is given a job more suitable to their abilities. Not everyone in life has leadership abilities.

Gibbs football has been on a downward spiral for the past ten years. They finally got into a decent conference and have struggled ever since. What must be done? Well, in college when a coach is not winning, he is replaced. Also, in high school, if a coach is not winning then he is replaced. However, the Gibbs coaches have the best job security in America. They can curse the players, yell up at the crowd during the game trying to start fights with fans, and even portray the entire program negatively. If one is interested in a good job, where you can do whatever you please, look into Gibbs. This nonsense has to stop because so many players have to deal with this year in and year out at Gibbs. Therefore, when is the madness ever going to end? Ask JJWSIV about Gibbs, he is obviously the self-described historian of Gibbs football. He isn't aware that he is not the only one to ever play for Gibbs and the subpar coaching staff. Again, many have suffered and the suffering will only continue until something is done.

First off, I don't even know why I waste my time typing and reading these post because most of you have not one clue about Gibbs.

Second, until any of you have either Superintendent of Knox County Schools or Principal of Gibbs High School as your title, I don't believe that your opinion even matters.

Next, it must feel good to have all the answers to all the ills of the world as most of you do and being the first to cast the intitial stone. This site used to be very good when people discussed x's and o's, games, and prep sports instead of digressing into the rumor mill and slanderous attacking of coaches, players, teams, and other site members that it has become. Too bad I already spent my $12, wish I could get it back and spend it on something worthwhile. But I will tell you this, I will support the Gibbs Eagles, Randy Carroll and his staff and players for the rest of my life.

I love prep sports because it is the last level of athletics where players play because they love it and coaches coach because thay love it. The same issuses that are affecting college and pro sports is trickling down into high school athletics and IT IS A SHAME. Because it is about more than that. But very few people on this site realize or acknowledge that. I feel sorry for coaches today, because they are subjected to such experts that have an armchair knowledge of the game and what is involved. Talk about the ultimate monday morning quarterback. I sure as heck don't see anyone stepping up to the plate. It is easy to sit back and spout off on this board about how much you know, and what you would do, or what should be done. I bet not one of you so-called experts that are attacking Randy Carroll could stand the heat for one year. But then you don't have too because you're sitting on the sideline watching. In fact, most of you aren't even on the field.

And what is the worst part is when people comment on a situation when they have no knowledge of the situation.

To heck with it, I could go on and on, but what would be to point??? You can have it because it has become a drain on my time. It used to be fun to visit this site but it is no more. It's sad because I really liked the information that could be found and the news about other regions of the state.

Most of you have it all figured out anyway. We should all be so lucky!!

I am not at all putting Randy Carroll down, so please don't take this the wrong way. Why has Gibbs not been succussful the last 10 years. They will soon be moving up to 4A football, as well as AAA basketball, baseball, track, etc. What is the current coaching staff doing to make sure they are going to win in region 2-3A next year. Do they have a chance against Fulton, AE, Anderson Co., Kingston, Lenoir City,or Scott Co? Will they be able to compete with Region 3-4A in 2005 against, Knox Central, Halls, Powell, Clinton, Carter, and maybe even Maryville, or Knox West? I know that Randy Carroll works hard, and his staff does as well, but until you are competitive in your region then people are gonna be on your tail. Good luck to Randy Carroll, and his coaching staff. I hope you get it done.