Why I only like Maryville....

MaryvilleRebels

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, really it wasn't about Maryville being better than everyone or about entertainment. It was about balance, and i don't really see why some teams don't have it? I mean it kinda seems that the entire state of Tennessee is attempting to be like Nebraska, no one is going for a balanced attack. Hillsboro would have beaten Maryville last year had they been a bit more balanced. I mean some teams don't seem to adjust to the weaknesses of other teams, I don't know if this is all high schools, but I haven't seen many that prefer to pass than run, and I haven't seen many balanced attacks. Its a simple observation.

Your view is extremely myopic and comes from seeing only your little corner of the world for a brief period of time. There are MANY teams across the state that are balanced offensively, that throw the ball a lot, some run spread offense the entire game. For example, in Region 6-5A (which I know you don't ever see), you have one team that runs a spread entirely, one team that runs a wishbone, one team that is 80-20 run vs. pass, and the rest of the teams (5) run multiple set, multiple attack football. Any one of those 5 teams will run balanced schemes and multiple personnel sets depending on down, distance, time, and score.

Coaches will coach either what they know, or if they are smart-enough, play to their teams' strengths. I would say MBA was a multiple attack. Take Hillsboro for example-their QB can't throw a lick and they have limited numbers, so why in the world would you run a spread offense there? You do what your athletes can do to be successful.

How do you know that Hillsboro doesn't have a QB that can throw the football well? Maybe he is put in another position because he's not as mobile as the qb they have? Also, I have seen a lot of East Tennessee football, from 1A to 5A, and really I can only think of a few balanced teams. 1..Greenback, they are a little more leaning towards the pass. 2. Maryville, we lean towards the run, but can mix it up when we please. 3. Alcoa very balanced. Now there are some teams, Fulton is pretty balanced and I know these teams seem to be from just Blount county and really close, but thats the way it looks. I mean, I see Mo-West...running team, some pass, but not that successful at it. Hillsboro, Riverdale, Cleveland, Germantown, Central..all these teams rely HEAVILY on the run. Now I don't see how they could just not have a QB that can pass the ball and one reciever that can catch it. A running attack is fun to watch when it is done impressively, but when its two running teams and its a defensive battle its horrible. Not only that, but if one team has a better defense, as Hillsboro did, and the other team gets behind, they are forced to pass. When they are forced to pass, its horrible. Its like they can't do it at all. Last year, Hillsboro's qb threw the ball maybe 3 times, I don't think he completed a pass, he also had one interception. Now he threw like a girl (no offense), but he looked like he had never once practiced throwing the ball or anything to that effect. I've seen little kids throw the baseball for the first time...thats what he looked like throwing the football. I don't understand how someone can be 18, have played football for atleast 4 years and not know how to throw a football decently. Now, I am sure that he is not the only QB that has this problem, why doesn't Hillsboro work on getting a qb that can throw atleast decently and is mobile enough to run the wing-t? Personally this thread is just pretty much whining about the wing-t, its invading most the high school playbooks and I for one don't like it.

Hillsboro doesn't throw the ball because, most of the time, it doesnt have to. Why put the ball in the air? Ints can happen, sacks can happen, WRs can get laid out. Why do it? Running the ball can be far more effective. It wears down a defense. It demoralizes a defense. There is not a worse feeling in the world than by getting slapped around for a 5-7 yard gain every play. The D-unit starts to wonder if it can EVER stop the team thats in front of it.

And who cares about Hillsboro LAST year. There is a big difference between last year's Hillsboro team and this years Hillsboro team, someone take a wild guess of what that is.

Something you'll notice about the teams that were listed that had a really heavy running game, 2 of them have state rings this year. Is a heavy running game really that bad?

Come on now! Maryville is awesome....BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE FALCONS! They passed alot as well as running. THe QB passed for 4 touchdowns, tying a state record....so I believe there was some passing. The Fulton game was VERY exciting....especially if you were there. But, I watched it again today on film and it was just as exciting. I think all of the hard hitting by the Fulton D is what made this game interesting.

I missed the Fulton game. Also, I don't really think that its a problem if u successfully run the ball, but when u get down if u don't throw the ball at all what can u do? Hillsboro had the problem last year against Maryville. I also didn't watch Hillsboro much this year, and they didn't need to pass the ball in the state championship game. Also, sure I might have listed 2 that have state rings, but in a state where everyone is running the ball its common knowledge, playing the odds, that you're going to get some teams that run and win state titles. Also, running is pretty risky too, a running back could fumble a qb could fumble, bad exchange, bad blocking. A passing game might not be quite as physically testing, but it will get in your head when u are doing everything to stop the other team from passing on u and its not working. I said Hillsboro last year because it was an extreme case of an all running team finally being down late in a game and having a qb that couldn't throw the ball.

I also said Fulton was balanced.