David Wolke

alan

Whittemore was truly an exceptional QB at the high school level but didn't get much of a look coming out of high school. KY as high on him; was down to him and Lorenzen and we all knew which way that went. Knock on him was his size-seems like every program wants minimum 6-4 and the big arm. His grades were adequate, however, the alternative school situation was for "indiscretions" during a soccer trip to South Carolina, not grades. That passed during the summer before his senior year. Before he signed with Kansas, the only suitors he had were New Mexico and MTSU. He is a true example of not giving up on your dream. While his college career has been plagued by injuries, when he was healthy he was a difference-maker. He is absolutely revered at Kansas, and virtually every coach he played against wished they would have recruited him; which is a nice compliment if it wasn't so self-serving on their parts. Wolke will get a chance somewhere-it's then up to him how he handles it. What we think is great at our level of high school rarely stands up with the big programs. Good luck to David-

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

It is amazing to me that schools like Notre dame could be looking at Wolke when he didn't even make 1st or 2nd team All Mid State here in TN. Maybe he will be able to thumb his nose at all of us and sign at a big school.

Thanks for the info on Whittemore. I wasn't sure where he went. I couldn't believe that he didn't go more local ... SEC? They missed out on a great one. He really would have fit in well at KY>

As I said earlier I am not claiming to be any smarter than anyone I am just older and have seen a lot of QB's over the years. I think recruiters see what I do in he has great physical skills.

One other wild card is the coach at Notre Dame was the coach that recruited Luke Powell at Stanford and since he certainly wasn't recruited and offered by a lot of local schools and turned out well (He was one of Willinghams favorites) I think it may give Wolke more credibility.

I have heard recruiters have great memories and if coaches mislead them they tend not to come back to that HS program again and likewise if they find a good player they give you some credibilty.

Guest region4fan

There is no denying that Powell was a great one who was not recruited. He has sure made Rutherford County proud at Stanford. Is he planning on pursuing a pro career? I heard he is a really smart kid and got all kinds of offers in Academics. What a credit to his school and family.

I saw him rated as one of the top 75 quarterbacks nationally on a recruiting service that's about as accurate as they get, ahead of some guys that have already committed to mid-major Division 1-A schools. I don't think there's much doubt he'll get a chance to play, at least at the Conference USA or Sun Belt type level and maybe higher.

chs you posted he will go division 2 a best you never said anything about playing time. He will be no different than every other QB recruited if he can play he will.

I have seen a lot of high school football players and QB'S over the last 30 years or so Is he the best------------------------------------------no several I have seen were better overall , however as far as pure passing skills and arm strength he is right up there at the top. As I have said before it will come down to can he get to a college with a good QB coach and get into a system that suites him?

The best high school QB I have ever seen was Bill Whittemore at Brentwood.

He was the most accurate thrower and read defenses like a pro.

The most underated Lance Phillips for Brentwood Academy won 2 state titles and went undefeated the last 2 years. Plus I have know him since he was 8 or 9 so I may be biased. He is now a youth minister and has matured into a great young man

The most underated in college Wes Counts (Region 4 can take it fom here on him)

2 of the best high school QB'S I have seen play in person while in high school

Robert Fraley - Franklin County Played at Alabama and may be remembered more recently for being in the plane that crashed with Payne Stewart he was an extremely successful agent

Whit Taylor - Shelbyville played for Vanderbilt and was the last Vandy QB to beat UT. Was a winner even in high school

No one will know who these players are but Mike and Rick Lanning both played at Lawrence County High School were great QB'S. Mike claim to fame now is he has 2 daughters that play basketball at Riverdale they come from a very athletic family.

Well enough rambling its time to go out for one last day and get into the crowds at the mall. I justed wanted to make the point I have seen a lot of QB'S over the years so I have some basis for my opinions.

Did you ever see Kelly Holcombe, who played at Lincoln County and who is now playing on Sundays?

Guest region4fan

Well I sure saw Holcomb when he played for LINCOLN COUNTY, and everyone from Oakland, Riverdale, etc. do too. He was thrilling to watch and a total player. BUT....LC had a pretty impressive team to back him up. There is no mistaking that he was a great QB.

BUT.......I still say that Whittemore was the best that I have seen. He did not have the best team to back him up.In fact they were just mediocre. He flat out challenged you to bring it on........and when you were throwing him down he completed a perfectly thrown 60 yd touchdown pass. It was totally amazing!! a PLAYMAKER!

I guess that I judge QB's by that standard..the Whittemores, The Edmistons, the Holcombs, and Wolke doesn't even come close to being in their league. He has the physical skills...........the height, the build, the arm........but not the daring or the passion.