PLAY UP OR SHUT UP

FairInMyFavor

Maryvillerebel makes a good point about the primary advantage 5A has being in depth due to having a larger number of players. However there are a number of 2A teams with more depth and 4A and 3A teams with more than some 5A due due their respective programs having lots of participation due to success or lack of participation due to having a loosing program. I think any reclassification certainly shouldn't be for more that a year or so. For instance if Henry Co (region 6 5A) moved down to a 4A region I don't think most of the teams in that 4A region would object as long as the went back to 5A as soon as they had a year where they were not last place in that 4A region. If they started to win they would have more players coming out and would then have an "unfair" advantage in depth.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you 5A types be content competing vs. other 5A teams/schools without constantly insulting the small groups, simply because you want bigger to be better.

Most times its the small school barking about how they can beat the 5a school...In the last few days numorous Fulton and Hunington fans have expressed the opinion there schools would destory Germantown.

In GENERAL, the 5A state champion is in my mind the best team in the state. There are exceptions though, but they normally either come from D-II AAA or 4A. I just can't see a team like HuntingDon being able to compete week in and week out in a 5A region. They don't have the depth. That's only to be expected. You can't take anything away from anyone who is crowned state champion. They are the best in their class- that can't be argued.

And FBem... I'd gladly pit my Rebels against Maryville, Hillsboro, Melrose, Cleveland. So there's one 5A school that wants to go there.

I agree! High school football year round sounds good to me!

if aint broke dont fix it. 5a yes they might be considered the best, but year in and year out I would put Maryville, Austin East, and Fulton up against any 5a school, I am not saying every year, but in a 5 year span, I would bet 2-3 of the championships would go to one of these 3 teams.... It could bew worse we could be like bigger states like Georgia, Fla, etc and have upto 6A, and they are thinking of going to 7A

I believe that TSSAA has a great system as we speak. I believe that the pre-season scrimmages between teams from different classifications are alot of fun for the players and the fans. For example, Maryville scrimmaged Oak Ridge, Austin East, and Dobyns-Bennett, and a dominant 6a team from georgia. These games are great building blocks fro teams to see where they stand.

One thing I would like to change is the way the playoff brackets are handled. I believe that home-field advantage for the semi-finals should favor the team theat won the regular season meeting. If they have not played, then the best overall record, region record, and so on.

DID ANYONE BESIDES ME WATCH THE STATE FINALS. THE 5A TEAMS WERE JUST BETTER FOOTBALL TEAMS. DON'T GET ME WRONG EVERY TEAM THERE WAS GOOD AND DESERVED TO BE THERE. BUT THE 5A GAME WAS THE BEST. I AM A BIG BLOUNT COUNTY FAN AND THINK MARYVILLE WOULD DO GREAT IN THE 5A CLASS. BUT I DON'T THINK THEY COULD DOMINATE LIKE THEY HAVE IN THE PAST IN 4A.

SOME OF THE LOWER CLASSIFICATION TEAMS THINK THEY COULD COMPETE IN 5A. BUT YOU NEED SIZE, DEPTH, SPEED, AND GOOD COACHS TO COMPETE AT THAT LEVEL. YOU HAVE TO PLAY HARD EVERY WEEK NOT JUST 4 OR 5 BALLGAMES

AND THEN GO TO THE PLAYOFFS.

Why can't you 5A types be content competing vs. other 5A teams/schools without constantly insulting the small groups, simply because you want bigger to be better. 

Most times its the small school barking about how they can beat the 5a school...In the last few days numorous Fulton and Hunington fans have expressed the opinion there schools would destory Germantown.

My point exactly. It's the smaller schools that I hear trying to make their case that they are the best. I'm not suggesting that 3A or 4A be forced to move up...and let's forget that term "move up" altogether. Instead of moving up, down, or crosswise, just let all the teams who want to compete for the title of the "Best of the Best" in a playoff brackett all by themselves and let them slug it out. They could forego their regular playoff schedule to jump into this fire.

SOME OF THE LOWER CLASSIFICATION TEAMS THINK THEY COULD COMPETE IN 5A.

Don't kid yourself and think it couldn't have happened this year. I usually don't put much into scores but I found an example that seemed to show a decent trend to go by.

four losses for 5A Henry Co.

1. HC 0 - Franklin 40

2. HC 7 - Dickson Co. 35

3. HC 12- Brentwood 37

4. HC 6- Milan 35

Milan 24 Huntingdon 6(regular season)

Huntingdon 34 Milan 29(semi final game)

Huntingdon destroys David Lipscomb in 2A finals 48-14(with starters on the bench with 7 minutes to go).

Year in and year out a 2A team can't compete because of depth issues, but sometimes there are exceptions, and 2003 was one of those years. Milan and Huntindon only had 3 players between both teams that played both ways.

yes , i watched ALL the games and i would bet that all of the teams would have had their hands full with Huntingdon !! that running back was made for that artificial turf and would have been hard for any team to stop . what was even more surprising was the lineman Huntingdon had , they were very quick with good size .

As I said all the teams at the state finals were great teams and deserved to be there. Hunington has a great running back and it would be hard for any team to stop him. But in a 10 game sched playing 5a schools week end and week out takes a toll on any good back. Most of these schools have size and depth. There is a difference running against 160 pound linebackers as to 215 to 225 pound linebackers as in the bigger schools.

5a is not the stength of a team! It is the size of the school. I'm not going to pursuade CQ to move up, nor should anyone else, he KNOWS what is best. Maybe 5a is more prestigious, but I guess it is really someone's opinion. Normally 5a schools have more money maybe?

I agree, 5A dont mean a thing except you have more people in your school. Greenbrier (3A) beat a 5A team Beech 48-28 earlier this year. Just because your 5A doesnt mean your good at football