Best coach in East Tennessee

cmslinebacker889

redrage the quote was I think from the news-sentinel. It may not sound like Jody now, but I coached against the Lake City teams he played on, and sat in the teachers lounge many times and talked with him when at Horace Maynard and can assure you it was made, and was a direct quote from him. It made many people in Union County angry, because at the time he seemed more interested in the cheerleaders than a very young BB team that he knew was not very good and he seemed to put very little effort into, and there was no need to slap those kids in the face as he left. I can't recall the exact record, the 22 losses may be off somewhat, but the three wins is very close if not on the money.

The good team you recall was the one of the teams I was talking about, the big redhead was Jimmy Cox, but they played for Lewis Morris, not Jody Wright, he was only there for one year I believe and his record was terrible. They did play Fulton either under coach Morris or coach Chandler a couple of years in a row and were competitive with the Falcons.

As for your comments about being competitive without talent I agree to a certain extent, but the talent Fulton has year in and year out would make a good coach out of a lot of us. I am also sure that coach Wright has matured as a person and a coach from those early days of coaching as we all do, and I have nothing against him, but am simply stating the facts.

As far as UCHS and their record this year I have not seen a Patriots game in over two years and have no answer to why their record was not better, unless they were maybe not as talented as most observers thought, or possibly had a young inexperienced coach as well.

BTW if you know Jody ask him what his record was at Horace Maynard.

Edited by Big Daddy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many coaches in East Tennessee can say that they have been to the state 4 out of 5 years? Kent Smith is the only one I can think of. Two yaers ago they went to state and lost 5 out of the top 7 players on the team to graduation. What did he do the next year? Made it to the finals of the state tourney. He did this with only two returning players with any varsity time at all. This year when every team has been chomping at the bit for Bradley, he has led them once again back to the state. Talent? He has developed the talent that is there, kept them focused, and has them ready for the state. Not only is he a coach on the floor, but his players average 3.5 in the classroom. He is definitely the best all-around coach I have ever seen.

Tnwareagle,

I think Dan Wadley at Temple has been to the last 4 state tourneys in Class A (including this year, winning the last 2), This may very well be his best coaching job yet with how young his team is this season. Kent Smith has done a great job at Bradley and I was not taking anything away from him. Just adding something to the discussion. Both men are class acts.

Ken Wright- Gatlinburg Pittman

Brad Flatford- Cosby

Randy Moore- Seymour

Winning doesn't mean your a good coach, its winning vs good teams with average players. These guys have consistantly got it done at their schools even in what was supposed to be "rebuilding years".

Edited by SBAT

Hands Down Fulton High School's Jody Wright.

When you think he's lost his touch and he's going to have a down year he pulls one out like this year. 5th that is NEXT TO LAST in district 3-AA and now they are one win away from Mufreesboro. AMAZING! His teams are discilpined they play with heart, and they do whatever it takes to win a game. All these things come from coaching.

exactly, the man is a great coach. i wish he would come to central, he plays in the football teams golf tournament in june ,you better believe i will be recruiting him.

Coach Crowder from Rhea Co. has done a great job the last 3yrs hope he sticks around.

Your vote for best coach is about as good of choice as your pick for best QB. Way off base!! Your coach intentionally threw a game in the district tourney (according to friends in the area, did not see it myself) just so he would not have to meet Bradley until the region final. It worked out because you are in the 'Boro, but the best coach does not intentionally lose games!!!

I would say that we basketball fans in Southeast Tennessee have become a little spoiled with all of the success that we have had out of Region 3 at all levels. This week 5 out of 6 of the Region 3 sub-state participants will be chasing the gold ball. Bradley Central and Rhea County in AAA, McMinn Central in AA and Grace Academy and Tennessee Temple in A. Here's hoping that they bring home 3 gold balls from the 'Boro.

I agree with the assessment by tnwareagle about Coach Kent Smith at Bradley Central. He can take his and beat yours or take yours and beat his. He is a dedicated coach who turns boys into men, both on the court and off.

I also have to salute Coach Crowder at Rhea for rebuilding the Golden Eagles over the last couple of years. 19 years since they played in the state. Also, a great year for Doug Armstrong at McMinn Central. Maybe the Chargers will take it all in AA.

And a salute to Coach Wadley at Tennessee Temple, going for his 3rd consecutive state championship. And good luck to Coach Mattheiss at Grace Academy.

Now you see why we're spoiled about basketball in Southeast Tennessee. It's the expected norm, not the exception, to have several teams going for gold.

Good luck to all of the Southeast Tennessee guys!