TSSAA Legislative Council Meeting

FBMan

What disadvantages do private schools have?

The ego has stated some of these, cost of the school, students having to meet entrance exams, students having to provide own transportaion in most cases, limited enrollment, competition among other private schools as well as good public schools.(Yes there are alot of public school systems that provide a better education than most privates) limited amount of resources from the local, state, and federal government, teachers pay, job security, health insurance, retirement package, their ability to provide a range of education needs for students with special needs as well as those who are gifted, students having to maintain higher academic standards, budget restrictions, community support, inexperienced faculty, faculty turnover rate is higher than public, coaches supplement pay, all these as well as others are disadvantages that plague private schools.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ego has stated some of these, cost of the school, students having to meet entrance exams, students having to provide own transportaion in most cases, limited enrollment, competition among other private schools as well as good public schools.(Yes there are alot of public school systems that provide a better education than most privates) limited amount of resources from the local, state, and federal government, teachers pay, job security, health insurance, retirement package, their ability to provide a range of education needs for students with special needs as well as those who are gifted, students having to maintain higher academic standards, budget restrictions, community support, inexperienced faculty, faculty turnover rate is higher than public, coaches supplement pay, all these as well as others are disadvantages that plague private schools.

Whew! I didn't realize all of that. How do these institutions stay open? It's amazing they don't all shut their doors. I regret any negative thing I have stated on these boards concerning private schools. I just never comprehended what an uphill struggle they were up against. Thank goodness they are fortunate enough to dominate public schools in single A or they would have nothing. Please accept my condolences.

Whew! I didn't realize all of that. How do these institutions stay open? It's amazing they don't all shut their doors. I regret any negative thing I have stated on these boards concerning private schools. I just never comprehended what an uphill struggle they were up against. Thank goodness they are fortunate enough to dominate public schools in single A or they would have nothing. Please accept my condolences.

This is a funny response and above some people just can't realize sarcasm.

Advantages of a private school, parents more affluent which can provide for special coaching or instruction in the activity of their choice, generally more gifted students, better facilities and if not will work to get same by raising tuition or whatever other market factors they can employ, total parent interest and attention to schooling (probably a higher percentage of parents attend parent teacher conferences than in publics), generally better pay for coaching staff and other teachers (seen some argument to the contrary but did not say anything here is absolute).

After all, with the disadvantages listed above it would appear there would be no reason to send your child to a private. Then why do it when your tax dollars are making it easier to get your child and education?

After all, with the disadvantages listed above it would appear there would be no reason to send your child to a private. Then why do it when your tax dollars are making it easier to get your child and education?

Cus I actually wanted to be able to play on the football and basketball teams. I wouldn't have played if I had gone to that school...

Also I didn't feel like getting shot...the school is pretty bad, and my parents didn't want me to have to deal with that.

I bet most of the rural 1A kids couldn't have played sports for the school I was going to go to. They won 3 titles in basketball and football over the last 4 years.

Why thank you Tacoma. I guess I won't be reading any more of your posts since you have learned...good luck to you and your team...course I guess I'll know how ya'll did.

An Eye for an Eye.

Since Ego will not read this will someone tell him about it. I didn't realize I posted anything about a team. It was about a philosophy. An eye for an eye? Does that mean since private schools are winning everything that public schools will now begin to win everything?

Thanks CYJacket. At least you got it. However, I am worried about these private schools. If I ever have any kids, I guess I shouldn't consider a private education with all of those issues to deal with.

Cus I actually wanted to be able to play on the football and basketball teams.  I wouldn't have played if I had gone to that school...

Also I didn't feel like getting shot...the school is pretty bad, and my parents didn't want me to have to deal with that.

I bet most of the rural 1A kids couldn't have played sports for the school I was going to go to.  They won 3 titles in basketball and football over the last 4 years.

Was it a 1a school or some metro school where the choice of athletes are huge?

Did anyone get shot, stabbed, snake bit or pistol whipped at your school?

And in theses schools mentioned above as an example are they real, or just made up? Put a name to them if you can.

1a schools are small like privates. The violence usually happens in the larger, urban schools. In this respect I agree with the private schools. Larger schools have created more problems in public education than any small rural school ever has but they get the punishment.

I think ego if you came to school at Coalfield you would get to play, if you wanted. It also wouldn't cost much, maybe a few socks and a pair of athletic shoes. Plus, you could wear a neat uniform.

General, read his post. It was sarcastic in that with all those disadvantages why put up with the hassle of a private school?

Edited by CYJacket

Why thank you Tacoma.  I guess I won't be reading any more of your posts since you have learned...good luck to you and your team...course I guess I'll know how ya'll did.

An Eye for an Eye.

Since Ego will not read this will someone tell him about it. I didn't realize I posted anything about a team. It was about a philosophy. An eye for an eye? Does that mean since private schools are winning everything that public schools will now begin to win everything?

Thanks CYJacket. At least you got it. However, I am worried about these private schools. If I ever have any kids, I guess I shouldn't consider a private education with all of those issues to deal with.

An eye for an eye= Since you will be sarcastic, so will I.

You can write sarcastic messages, and so shall I. You are welcome to post whatever you wish Tacoma, I enjoy your posts, but if someone resorts to sarcasm or insults (which you didn't do) then they should be prepared to get them back.

Cus I actually wanted to be able to play on the football and basketball teams.  I wouldn't have played if I had gone to that school...

I bet most of the rural 1A kids couldn't have played sports for the school I was going to go to.  They won 3 titles in basketball and football over the last 4 years.

Was it a 1a school or some metro school where the choice of athletes are huge?

Did anyone get shot, stabbed, snake bit or pistol whipped at your school?

And in theses schools mentioned above as an example are they real, or just made up? Put a name to them if you can.

1a schools are small like privates. The violence usually happens in the larger, urban schools. In this respect I agree with the private schools. Larger schools have created more problems in public education than any small rural school ever has but they get the punishment.

I think ego if you came to school at Coalfield you would get to play, if you wanted. It also wouldn't cost much, maybe a few socks and a pair of athletic shoes. Plus, you could wear a neat uniform.

General, read his post. It was sarcastic in that with all those disadvantages why put up with the hassle of a private school?

1-No it was not a 1A school...I wasn't zoned to a 1A school, I was zoned to the a 4A school.

2-I assure you, the school is very real...if you want to cross check whichever school has won 3 state titles in the last 4 years (I'm not even going to talk about the success they have in other sports)...I'm not going to bad mouth a school, if you want to PM and I will gladly tell you.

3-I certainly agree that the small schools are probably very safe...I'm just saying, I didn't go to a school I was zoned to, and gave reasons why I didn't.

4-If you had a kid, and he wanted to play sports...would you try and put money up so that he could play and be on a team...Look at 5A state power Germantown in football...I doubt I could have played there, so I'd rather go to a school where I knew I could play...perhaps Cordova, Bartlett, or Bolton...is that wrong? To want to go to a school where you might have a chance to play?

Sometimes life deals you things you don't like but they have to be dealt with anyway, how you choose is not for me to decide right or wrong. That being said, the very people that send their children to private schools also will gripe about the taxes paid and want these large urban schools because they are more "economical". The perferred route for me would be to fund education to the extent that no high school in the state has over 500-750 students. This would sharply curtail private enrollment and end this debate.

Several studies, one especially from Cornell University and several at the U.S. Department of Education advocate a small school agenda. It may be comming in the future.

Edited by CYJacket

Why thank you Tacoma.  I guess I won't be reading any more of your posts since you have learned...good luck to you and your team...course I guess I'll know how ya'll did.

An Eye for an Eye.

An eye for an eye= Since you will be sarcastic, so will I.

You can write sarcastic messages, and so shall I. You are welcome to post whatever you wish Tacoma, I enjoy your posts, but if someone resorts to sarcasm or insults (which you didn't do) then they should be prepared to get them back.

I thought it was funny. Couldn't you tell?