TSSAA Legislative Council Meeting

FBMan

Sometimes life deals you things you don't like but they have to be dealt with anyway, how you choose is not for me to decide right or wrong. That being said, the very people that send their children to private schools also will gripe about the taxes paid and want these large urban schools because they are more "economical". The perferred route for me would be to fund education to the extent that no high school in the state has over 500-750 students. This would sharply curtail private enrollment and end this debate.

Several studies, one especially from Cornell University and several at the U.S. Department of Education advocate a small school agenda. It may be comming in the future.

Thats a fantastic idea! When a school reaches an enrollment of say 1100 mandate that a new school be built within 2 years. Small systems could then look to a magnate school for Vocational focus or academic focus, etc...

You might even see a movement towards special focus high schools that require testing and minimum requirements to get into. This could also open up a transfer rule after your sophomore year if you qualify and desire a different focus.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes life deals you things you don't like but they have to be dealt with anyway, how you choose is not for me to decide right or wrong. That being said, the very people that send their children to private schools also will gripe about the taxes paid and want these large urban schools because they are more "economical". The perferred route for me would be to fund education to the extent that no high school in the state has over 500-750 students. This would sharply curtail private enrollment and end this debate.

Several studies, one especially from Cornell University and several at the U.S. Department of Education advocate a small school agenda. It may be comming in the future.

Thats a fantastic idea! When a school reaches an enrollment of say 1100 mandate that a new school be built within 2 years. Small systems could then look to a magnate school for Vocational focus or academic focus, etc...

You might even see a movement towards special focus high schools that require testing and minimum requirements to get into. This could also open up a transfer rule after your sophomore year if you qualify and desire a different focus.

Yeah but as always, the devil is in the details.

Yeah but as always, the devil is in the details.

Don't have to worry about the details!

Most good ideas are shelved when tax payers and politicians see potential price tags and once again shortchange "the future of America" to save a buck.

After all, with the disadvantages listed above it would appear there would be no reason to send your child to a private.

You are absolutely right, most public institutions will provide a better education overall than most small private schools. Except for some of the obvious choices like MBA, the Web School, McCallie, Baylor, and Christion Brothers, there really isn't any reason to send you siblings to a private school as far as education is concerned. However, there are other factors that may lend you to decide to try a private education, religious beliefs, smaller classroom size if the student is an average student who may need that extra attention,(If he is gifted or is learning disabled this should not be a factor, as most public schools are better equiped to handle these type students) the ability to participate in athletics where otherwise the choices are large metro schools where the student wouldn't make the team, may have some social problems adapting to a larger school, these are just a few of the reasons someone would consider a small private school. There is room for both private and public education, if our health care system was the same way, having the choice between public and private we would not have the problems we have to day in our health care.