TSSAA Legislative Council Meeting

FBMan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hillsboro`s coach stated in an interview early this season that they had several players who were not zoned for Hillsboro. They might be technically zoned, but they manage to attract kids that want to go there somehow. I`m glad you understood the crux of my post though Antwan.

You are correct...but I think the out of zone kids are at Hillsboro because they are taking courses not offered in their zoned school. Maybe someone else knows more.

You are correct...but I think the out of zone kids are at Hillsboro because they are taking courses not offered in their zoned school. Maybe someone else knows more.

Does it make a difference? Possibly they are taking certain course at Hillsboro because they want to play football there. I don`t know.

Maybe kids are at private schools because they want to focus on academics, or smaller classrooms they may offer, or a perceived safer environment or maybe for sports who knows? The fact is they are there....at both schools.

Does it make a difference? Possibly they are taking certain course at Hillsboro because they want to play football there. I don`t know.

Maybe kids are at private schools because they want to focus on academics, or smaller classrooms they may offer, or a perceived safer environment or maybe for sports who knows? The fact is they are there....at both schools.

I'll say it again...I think all public schools should be zoned. I don't know Hillsboro's situation. I do know they are zoned. I don't think it is a big factor that they have a few kids from outside their zone. They are a 4a school...not a 1a school. They don't have the pick of the Nashville area as the privates do.

Edited by Antwan

CYJacket...I agree that private schools have some advantages. I have said so numerous times in my 3000+ posts. I don`t know how you came up with I don`t think they do. But I think it`s wrong and hypocritical to try and kick private schools out when there are public schools with the same advantages. Just wanted to clear that up.

Now let me run this by you for thought...

In every class there are teams that have advantages (within the rules) that other teams don`t have. Whether it is support, money, open zones etc... advantages occur in every class. It just so happens that in 1A it seems to be private schools that are at the top. Why should we kick private schools out?

I don`t view teams as public and private in terms of competiton. I see teams that are very competitive most every year in every class. We got beat by Melrose this year in the playoffs. They are blessed with great athletes. They`re support is out of this world. They had as many fans if not more travel to Jackson for the game. That was also true for their game in Nashville against Hillsboro. They also can "attract" kids from all over Memphis. Why should I feel pity for the 1A rural schools? Their solution was to kick out the better teams in their class. Wouldn`t we all like to kick out a few teams in our class so we could satisfy our egos and do better?

The problem is that 1A schools seek pity relief and they want it solely for themselves. Why can`t we also kick out some 4A open zone teams like Melrose, Hillsboro, and Maryville?

If I'm mistaken my apologies. However, I drew the conclusion from our discussion about two weeks ago on this subject; reference the baiting statement; riff raff and little darlings.

Now, these advantages are enough to not make the playing field level. I can't name any publics that have the same advantages on a consistent basis. Can you?

BTW, you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Here in beautiful East TN. we will have a "Tender Tennessee Christmas."

Edited by CYJacket

Since you didn't charge me for your psychological misdiagnosis...I won't sue you for malpractice. 

Now thats funny, thats what I like about you Antwan, you always have great comebacks. I am just confused as to why you are so against Private schools. You have some great suggestions about zoning, multipliers, etc, but they are not realistic. You can't zone everyone, you know as well as I do that even in your county, the tax payers as well as administrators want open zoning, more students mean more money. the multipliers are a great idea, but it's not going to level the playing field. Your program and most of the programs in your region are very competitive. I am not sure what you are fighting for. My only conclusion that I can come up with as to why you would want a split is to eliminate competition. Although any one with common sense knows that even with a split it does not create a level playing field. 1a schools have advantages in open zones in metro areas. Lookout Valley although they are not competitive in football, they are very competitive in basketball and baseball. You give the example of Riverdale being successful because of coaching. This is true for a lot of good programs whether they are private or public. I have been a part of both private and public education, I have been a part of very successful programs in both. I for one love teaching and coaching in the Public setting, but I do not see all these advantages the privates have. I feel that Publics have far more advantages as long as the community and the school board understand the importance of the student athlete. As I see it there are those like you antwan who always see the glass as half empty, and there are those who see the glass half full. But for me I am a realist, I see that the glass is to big. Lets try to come up with a solution that is good for highschool athletics in general. Like I have said before put everyone back in, use a multiplier whether private, urban, or what ever, if it makes you and everyone else happy and fight it out by how many state trophies you want to hand out. This way small schools can't whine about the big ones not having to play the privates. Surely there is some common ground to agree upon and compromise.

Edited by Gov

I got an idea! Lets take every one school in the county high school and put them in their own division. Only let schools from multi-school counties in if they are zoned and they can prove without a shadow of a doubt that the students live in that zone, not with auntie or anyone else. Limit the private schools to the other division with the unzoned schools and the schools who let in out of zone/out of county players. (This means that some school systems minority transfer policies will push them out of the single school county/harsh zone division).

Now thats funny, thats what I like about you Antwan, you always have great comebacks. I am just confused as to why you are so against Private schools. You have some great suggestions about zoning, multipliers, etc, but they are not realistic. You can't zone everyone, you know as well as I do that even in your county, the tax payers as well as administrators want open zoning, more students mean more money. the multipliers are a great idea, but it's not going to level the playing field. Your program and most of the programs in your region are very competitive. I am not sure what you are fighting for. My only conclusion that I can come up with as to why you would want a split is to eliminate competition. Although any one with common sense knows that even with a split it does not create a level playing field. 1a schools have advantages in open zones in metro areas. Lookout Valley although they are not competitive in football, they are very competitive in basketball and baseball. You give the example of Riverdale being successful because of coaching. This is true for a lot of good programs whether they are private or public. I have been a part of both private and public education, I have been a part of very successful programs in both. I for one love teaching and coaching in the Public setting, but I do not see all these advantages the privates have. I feel that Publics have far more advantages as long as the community and the school board understand the importance of the student athlete. As I see it there are those like you antwan who always see the glass as half empty, and there are those who see the glass half full. But for me I am a realist, I see that the glass is to big. Lets try to come up with a solution that is good for highschool athletics in general. Like I have said before put everyone back in, use a multiplier whether private, urban, or what ever, if it makes you and everyone else happy and fight it out by how many state trophies you want to hand out.  This way small schools can't whine about the big ones not having to play the privates. Surely there is some common ground to agree upon and compromise.

My county is open zoned within the county...but if you live outside you cannot attend. It's simple why I am against the private schools that are in 1a and 2a.

They do have a distinct advantage over public schools of the same size. I think that is a given. If that is so...then something should be done to remedy the situation. The same is true for aid given privates. I think they have an advantage over non-aid given privates. Do you think they should be in the same class with each other? Do you think BA should be in the same class with Boyd, CPA, DCA, Ezell, etc.? They are as small or smaller than any of them.

I don't know where you coach/coached...public or private. That could be a factor in your opinions.

As for the glass...the publics have a shot glass...and the privates have a route 44.

Edited by Antwan

Lookout Valley although they are not competitive in football, they are very competitive in basketball and baseball.

Lookout Valley has lost ground to the private schools in Chattanooga every year for the last few years in baseball, softball and basketball. I think they made the state tournament in all three at least once in the last 10-12 years, but I don't see it happening any time soon. As for football, they lost to a first-year Temple team that can only improve.

Lookout Valley although they are not competitive in football, they are very competitive in basketball and baseball.

Lookout Valley has lost ground to the private schools in Chattanooga every year for the last few years in baseball, softball and basketball. I think they made the state tournament in all three at least once in the last 10-12 years, but I don't see it happening any time soon. As for football, they lost to a first-year Temple team that can only improve.

I don't understand what "lost ground" means here? Lookout Valley and the 1a privates have always been quite competitive in basketball and baseball, and they still are. Coach Dinger is a fine baseball coach as his assistant Coach Crownover. The only sport that LV is losing ground in is Football, and it isn't only to the privates in the area. It has become a Baseball and Basketball school of late.

p.s. Kudos to the kids and coaches at Valley this year...Football with a 13 man roster is as tough as it comes. Congrats for staying the course! You guys have a lot of guts and deserve respect.

[Lookout Valley has lost ground to the private schools in Chattanooga every year for the last few years in baseball, softball and basketball.

I don't understand what "lost ground" means here?

The only sport that LV is losing ground in is Football, and it isn't only to the privates in the area. It has become a Baseball and Basketball school of late.

p.s. Kudos to the kids and coaches at Valley this year...Football with a 13 man roster is as tough as it comes. Congrats for staying the course! You guys have a lot of guts and deserve respect.

So, is the fact that LV has become a "Baseball and Basketball school of late" because they want to, or because they're losing football players to the privates?

Kudos are certainly in order; but it's so easy to "congratulate" players on their "courage" when the offer an automatic checkmark in the "W" column.

Happy Valley and Hampton were always praising Unaka for their courage when they were pounding them into the ground every year. So Unaka dropped them in football; now HV (and especially) Hampton are relentless in their assault of the "cowardly" Rangers.

Any way the LV team could stop playing SP and Boyd until they get better? Or does it not look like they're gonna be getting better in the foreseeable future?

Baldcoach, I don't mean any of this to offend you; but it looks like LV is in a desperate situation with their football program. Looks like they need a couple years to re-group; if re-grouping is a possibility at this point.

[Lookout Valley has lost ground to the private schools in Chattanooga every year for the last few years in baseball, softball and basketball.

I don't understand what "lost ground" means here? 

The only sport that LV is losing ground in is Football, and it isn't only to the privates in the area.  It has become a Baseball and Basketball school of late.

p.s.  Kudos to the kids and coaches at Valley this year...Football with a 13 man roster is as tough as it comes.  Congrats for staying the course!  You guys have a lot of guts and deserve respect.

So, is the fact that LV has become a "Baseball and Basketball school of late" because they want to, or because they're losing football players to the privates?

Kudos are certainly in order; but it's so easy to "congratulate" players on their "courage" when the offer an automatic checkmark in the "W" column.

Happy Valley and Hampton were always praising Unaka for their courage when they were pounding them into the ground every year. So Unaka dropped them in football; now HV (and especially) Hampton are relentless in their assault of the "cowardly" Rangers.

Any way the LV team could stop playing SP and Boyd until they get better? Or does it not look like they're gonna be getting better in the foreseeable future?

Baldcoach, I don't mean any of this to offend you; but it looks like LV is in a desperate situation with their football program. Looks like they need a couple years to re-group; if re-grouping is a possibility at this point.

If the TSSAA puts in a multiplier by metro county population standards it will hurt Lookout Valley High School because it is the only 1A public school in the state that is in a METRO AREA.