TSSAA Legislative Council Meeting

FBMan

Antwan,

I would believe your statement "we don't want to play the privates because of their advantages"

IF...some of the 1A and 2A schools didn't have the same advantages.

Alcoa...Great school district, more football state championships than 95% of the teams out there...and oh yes, OPEN ZONED.

Tyner...Magnet, free, great football team, best football player in the state in Demonte Bolden...OPEN ZONED.

Someone also said that South Pitt is open zoned? I don't know, I've never been there, but if that is true, then you need to explain yourself.

We could also talk about all the Memphis City schools such as Mitchell High School in AA. They went to the state championship last year, have a brand new school, great football coach (former U of M player) and great facilities...their coaches make more money than 95% of private school teachers...in fact the only two private schools who pay their teachers what the city school teachers make are Hutchison and MUS (both D2 schools!!!)

Mighty Mighty Mitchell, Carver, and other really good 2A schools would move back down...it would just start all over...you'd be losing to schools that are open zoned.

I have said before...and I will say again...that public schools should be zoned. I also believe magnets should be considered the same as privates. The situation in Memphis is ridiculous. We wouldn't lose to them if they move back down...because WE are not a 1a school.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antwan what he is sayin is that prolly somewhere in neighborhood of 90% of the schools it wouldnt effect them. The only effect would be the names on the front of the jerseys of the school that where kickin their butts.

Isn't that true of 90 % of all schools in the state regardless of class? It sounds as if you are for one class too. I think all of those schools would RATHER have their butts kicked by public schools...with the same advantages and disadvantages. That is the whole point.

Antwan...you`re wrong. It is only a very few. It`s a nice list you presented, but in reality most of those schools are not good. They won`t succeed whether there are private schools or not.

If I`m wrong then please take a shot at explaining. If not then just drop it.

General, you are wrong in the 1a list alone I found 10-11 teams that are in contention in their region year in and year out. So yes they are very good, just small. The privates do have an advantage and we have discussed this ad infinitem in the past, so I won't go there.

Now, antwan, be advised that Powell Valley High School is now Cumberland Gap High School and combined with Forge Ridge High School.

I guess that makes one less team affected...huh?

Well the TSSAA can not tell the Memphis City School Board how to run themselves...

If your school is not 1A then it is 2A and many of the current 2A and 3A schools in Memphis would then drop down and eventually play your school...it almost seems as though you do not care about the Memphis schools because you don't have to play them at all since they are in a different classification? I know you aren't just looking out for you own school are you?

Antwan, I am sure that Lookout Valley doesn't want to play South Pitt just as much as they don't want to play Boyd. I think we can assumem most people don't want to play teams that are better, it doesn't matter whether they are public or private. As a matter of fact I would bet that Boyd would call off the horses much faster than South Pitt.

Well the TSSAA can not tell the Memphis City School Board how to run themselves...

If your school is not 1A then it is 2A and many of the current 2A and 3A schools in Memphis would then drop down and eventually play your school...it almost seems as though you do not care about the Memphis schools because you don't have to play them at all since they are in a different classification? I know you aren't just looking out for you own school are you?

We are a 2a school currently playing in 3a. We don't care who we play as long as they play by the same guidelines. I don't mind playing Memphis teams...that would mean we would be in the title game. We'll take that. By the way...isn't Memphis in Arkansas? :D

Antwan, I am sure that Lookout Valley doesn't want to play South Pitt just as much as they don't want to play Boyd. I think we can assumem most people don't want to play teams that are better, it doesn't matter whether they are public or private. As a matter of fact I would bet that Boyd would call off the horses much faster than South Pitt.

If that is the case...they are by themselves. You are totally missing the point. The same was said to us when we were put in a region with Portland and Trousdale instead of Lipscomb and Goodpasture. We definitely would rather play publics like us instead of the privates. Publics have down years...most good privates do not.

Edited by Antwan

Antwan...you`re wrong. It is only a very few. It`s a nice list you presented, but in reality most of those schools are not good. They won`t succeed whether there are private schools or not.

If I`m wrong then please take a shot at explaining. If not then just drop it.

General, you are wrong in the 1a list alone I found 10-11 teams that are in contention in their region year in and year out. So yes they are very good, just small. The privates do have an advantage and we have discussed this ad infinitem in the past, so I won't go there.

Now, antwan, be advised that Powell Valley High School is now Cumberland Gap High School and combined with Forge Ridge High School.

I guess that makes one less team affected...huh?

Hey, I'm with you. The split does need to happen. Powell Valley was in the Playoffs last year, their last year after who knows how long they were in existence, I know for 35 years or so. They eliminated Coalfield. This year, a private, with less than five years of football eliminated b-4 the playoffs Coalfield, a team predicted to win the region and a huge tradition in class a football. Then went to the playoffs, knocked off Cloudland, Midway, and Greenback all single a power houses in the east with rich traditions. The margin of score was low but a win is a win. Then who eliminated that private, another private. The final four in class a was all private schools. One of those had played football less than three years, knocks off all the powerhouses in their regional competition, an general says there is no advantage. It boils down to the money aspect of privates. The parents are generally more affluent. This allows for private coaching, and training camps. The school is more affluent because it does not have to compete for $$ with other county and city services allowing for money in facilities, coaching, and equiptment. Further, the privates realize that if a sports program is productive it is a good marketing tool that can be used to draw students from other privates or publics if a students parents are contemplating a move.

We definitley would rather play publics like us instead of the privates.

Once again you are talking about yourself, Just because you don't want to play private schools don't assume everyone else doesn't. I am not missing the point. If you are Lookout Valley there is no consolation for getting your brains beat in by a private school rather than a public. Most good publics don't have down years either. Good programs don't have many down years, it doesn't matter if they are private or public. When was the last time Cleveland High School was down or a Trousdale Co. How about Riverdale? Antwan, I think you are displacing your frustration for losing in general to losing to privates. Its not the privates you have trouble with its just losing in general. You may be rationalizing your losses by blaming it on private schools instead of taking the responsibility on yourself and your program. This is a very common mistake made by the coaching profession. There is no need to pay me for my psychological profile, it is a service that I am glad to provide for those on Coacht. I really enjoy your posts because you are very intelligent, creative, and have the ability to debate. But I feel that you are somewhat blinded by your hatred towards two private schools. You have let this hatred build to the point of self destruction. Try to look at this issue minus these two schools and you may find you have a different opinion.

Once again you are talking about yourself, Just because you don't want to play private schools don't assume everyone else doesn't. I am not missing the point. If you are Lookout Valley there is no consolation for getting your brains beat in by a private school rather than a public.  Most good publics don't have down years either. Good programs don't have many down years, it doesn't matter if they are private or public. When was the last time Cleveland High School was down or a Trousdale Co. How about Riverdale? Antwan, I think you are displacing your frustration for losing in general to losing to privates. Its not the privates you have trouble with its just losing in general. You may be rationalizing your losses by blaming it on private schools instead of taking the responsibility on yourself and your program. This is a very common mistake made by the coaching profession. There is no need to pay me for my psychological profile, it is a service that I am glad to provide for those on Coacht. I really enjoy your posts because you are very intelligent, creative, and have the ability to debate. But I feel that you are somewhat blinded by your hatred towards two private schools. You have let this hatred build to the point of self destruction. Try to look at this issue minus these two schools and you may find you have a different opinion.

There is no hatred on my part toward those two private schools. I do have great respect for especially DL. We did compete well with them and did beat DL in the two years we were in the same region. We beat Trousdale this year and Portland 3 times over the last two years. Trousdale was the 4th seed in our region (barely made the playoffs). I would call that a down year for them. Portland was an unbeatable powerhouse for several years preceding the time we were in 3a. They had an extremely long home winning streak. They had a losing season last year, and barely made the playoffs this year. Their coaching staff in next to none as is Trousdale's. What losing are you referring to? We were the #1 seed in our region the 1st year DL and GP were in our region. Again...what losing are you referring to? We won 10 games this year and missed the semis by 1 point. Last year we won 11 games and missed the semis by a touchdown (loss to Trousdale). So...my opinion is not based on not winning. We have won more than most. Again...that is not the point. The point is that those two privates have an unfair advantage. When was the last time either was down. I can answer that. It's been a long time. Evidently the tssaa agrees since they are seriously considering a multiplier.

You also use Cleveland as an example. A few years ago they were down. The only team that has not had a down season in the last several that you mentioned is Riverdale. Their coach is a Smith County graduate and coached us to back to back 10-0 seasons before leaving for Riverdale. They are the exception because of him. They were awful before he got there.

You say that I am talking only about my school. Get on here and ask the public 1a and 2a schools who they would rather play.

Since you didn't charge me for your psychological misdiagnosis...I won't sue you for malpractice. :D

Edited by Antwan

One of those had played football less than three years, knocks off all the powerhouses in their regional competition, an general says there is no advantage.

CYJacket...I agree that private schools have some advantages. I have said so numerous times in my 3000+ posts. I don`t know how you came up with I don`t think they do. But I think it`s wrong and hypocritical to try and kick private schools out when there are public schools with the same advantages. Just wanted to clear that up.

Now let me run this by you for thought...

In every class there are teams that have advantages (within the rules) that other teams don`t have. Whether it is support, money, open zones etc... advantages occur in every class. It just so happens that in 1A it seems to be private schools that are at the top. Why should we kick private schools out?

I don`t view teams as public and private in terms of competiton. I see teams that are very competitive most every year in every class. We got beat by Melrose this year in the playoffs. They are blessed with great athletes. They`re support is out of this world. They had as many fans if not more travel to Jackson for the game. That was also true for their game in Nashville against Hillsboro. They also can "attract" kids from all over Memphis. Why should I feel pity for the 1A rural schools? Their solution was to kick out the better teams in their class. Wouldn`t we all like to kick out a few teams in our class so we could satisfy our egos and do better?

The problem is that 1A schools seek pity relief and they want it solely for themselves. Why can`t we also kick out some 4A open zone teams like Melrose, Hillsboro, and Maryville?

CYJacket...I agree that private schools have some advantages. I have said so numerous times in my 3000+ posts. I don`t know how you came up with I don`t think they do. But I think it`s wrong and hypocritical to try and kick private schools out when there are public schools with the same advantages. Just wanted to clear that up.

Now let me run this by you for thought...

In every class there are teams that have advantages (within the rules) that other teams don`t have. Whether it is support, money, open zones etc... advantages occur in every class. It just so happens that in 1A it seems to be private schools that are at the top. Why should we kick private schools out?

I don`t view teams as public and private in terms of competiton. I see teams that are very competitive most every year in every class. We got beat by Melrose this year in the playoffs. They are blessed with great athletes. They`re support is out of this world. They had as many fans if not more travel to Jackson for the game. That was also true for their game in Nashville against Hillsboro. They also can "attract" kids from all over Memphis. Why should I feel pity for the 1A rural schools? Their solution was to kick out the better teams in their class. Wouldn`t we all like to kick out a few teams in our class so we could satisfy our egos and do better?

The problem is that 1A schools seek pity relief and they want it solely for themselves. Why can`t we also kick out some 4A open zone teams like Melrose, Hillsboro, and Maryville?

Hillsboro is zoned.