Whats wrong with hillwood?

metrobballfan

Why does everyone think Hillwood is so undertalented?!?! If this is true, why are they able to keep up with teams during the first half? I realize they are probably lacking fundimentals and great shooting, but to say they are so undertalented that they can't even win with a good coach is crazy. I do realize they dont have a great scorer like Gordon or Harrison from last year, but thats where coaching comes in. Not saying Gamble cant bring this team together by the end of the season, but it just appears they are moving in the wrong direction.

About his success at Maplewood, Hillwood's football team proved this year that if you have a lot of talent, it dosen't matter who the coaches are, they will still win!

Oh yeah, bigchief, you said you kept the official book for the glencliff game right?

Well I am assuming you are a coach or teacher at hillwood, well if you are it is pretty sad that you are on here bashing you're own school. That's one of the biggest problems at schools like Hillwood; noone there has confidence in their own teams so how do you expect the players to have confidence in themselves?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have been disappointed with the lackluster performances and execution of Hillwood this year. A lot of the time it looks like they are playing pick-up games. I agree that they have some talent, but the coaching and discipline os not there. I honestly believe that Hillwood could have beaten Glencliff last night but every time they got close they would throw the ball away doing a no-look pass or one of the big guys (big as in tall) would get pushed around down low and theyd give up an offensive rebound for a put-back. I was impressed with #54 Goldie Hall he really showed some versatility. This team should be able to be decent when Jerel gets back and they should at least be able to win some games now. If they limited turnovers and played with discipline they would be decent. It looked like they didn't even have a coach out there last night. I hope they get it together and I see where you are coming from hillwoodfan. Good luck to the Toppers the rest of the season.

You people at Hillwood don't deserve Coach Gamble! He is one of the finest coaches I have ever encountered. He has averaged more than 20 wins per year for 20 years! The problem at Hillwood is that you have a mix of undisciplined kids and some soft mama's boys who have never been coached before, never worked before. What tough kid would go crying to mama and daddy that the new coach said we stink? Yea, he likes Moreland, because he is the only tough kid on the team. He is Coach Gamble's type of kid ... blue collar, hard-nosed worker. Who else on that roster can play defense, rebound, or fights for loose balls ... none of them. They are soft. He is trying to do the impossible. You people keep bitchin and complaining and you may get your wish ... another loser coach like you had. Coach Gamble undertook this challenge after being courted by the Hillwood administration and AD. How can you people criticize this man? The only ball handler he has is ineligible. The only scorers have been dismissed because they were turds. Davis had some talented losers. Coach Gamble is trying to create winners. Give him support or you deserve to lose him.

Coach G, don't forget the year you won the district (12-AAA, the toughest in the state) with 9 players after the others quit because they lacked heart. You perservered, stood your ground for what's right, ignored ignorant parents, and made champions out of 9 average kids that refused to quit and believed in you. Those kids loved you ... after the season was over. ;)

Well...... where do I start? I will be as nice as I can for the time being. I have been involved with basketball for over 20 years. In those twenty years I can remember a handful of decent to good players at Hillwood. John Nixon, Gene Lockett, Charles Hathaway, Germont Wade, Josh Cooperwood and Brandon Lockridge. The best player never did anything at Hillwood because he was not taught about basketball until college, Joe Behling NAIA player of the yaer at Belmont. That would be a championship caliber if they had not been spread out over 20 years.

Well...... where do I start? I will be as nice as I can for the time being. I have been involved with basketball for over 20 years. In those twenty years I can remember a handful of decent to good players at Hillwood. John Nixon, Gene Lockett, Charles Hathaway, Germont Wade, Josh Cooperwood and Brandon Lockridge. The best player never did anything at Hillwood because he was not taught about basketball until college, Joe Behling NAIA player of the yaer at Belmont. That would be a championship caliber if they had not been spread out over 20 years.

There is not a hotbed of tallent in the Hillwood cluster. Maybe there are too many Country Clubs around the school, maybe there are too many private schools around or maybe there are too many magnet schools in the county. The players are not there!

As for coaching, Coach Gamble left tallented players in hopes of working in a more positive atmosphere. That idea is out the window. Coach Gamble inherited a group of young men that has not been coached. It takes time for a coach to change what someone has spent a decade to screw up.

As a coach our toughest job is two fold, teach a brand new group something new and at the same time realize that we are dealing with young people that are not making mistakes intentionally.

As for you parents that are unhappy, you have already had your say when Davis was hired. He took the job from a much better coach that was selected but did not fit what the parents wanted. They wanted a fast talker that more resembles a preacher, not a basketball coach.

Coach Gamble is a great coach. Hillwood is lucky to have him. He deserves better than he is receiving from this board!

CoachF & Alzado....I think you misunderstand my posts. I have not been "bashing" Coach Gamble as a person nor do I wish for him to give up on Hillwood. Hillwood has been labled as losers for so many years I am ready to try anything new. Davis was obviously not the man for the job nor did I have any respect for him. I sincerely want Coach Gamble to turn this program around, I just do not agree with his tactics so far; they obviously are not getting through to the kids. And by the way Alzado, they are still kids; I'm glad my son still feels comfortable talking to me. If more parents spent time talking with their kids about their lives maybe our schools would be a lot different. So if that makes him a mama's boy then so be it.

Hillwoodfan, in all seriousness. I think you have two choices. (1) You can express your concerns directly to Coach Gamble, Coach Brown or Coach Dearing about the approach he is using or (2) Continue to get on here and anonomously question his approach without any hope of understanding what is going on other than what your son tells you. You seem like a level headed adult. Which one do you think will do the most good? The only people reading this are coaches (including retired head coaches like me) who understand what the current coach is going through and disgruntled parents that want to let off some steam without putting their name on it. Again, which approach will do the most good? You decide. As the song says, "Walk a little straighter daddy, you're leading me." :D

Coach Gamble brings a new approach to Hillwood, to say the least. Have you seen Hoosiers? I'm sure the guys playing for him have ran more, took more charges, and worked on more team concepts and schemes than ever before. In no way can this be effective and fun. Hard work never is. Coach is accustomed to winning and knows that his system works. He must instill a winner's mentality to his guys, and this is as hard as the physical part. Hillwood is an underdog every time it takes the court, so let up on the talk about their having talent.

"hillwoodfan" - be that, a fan. Pay your way into the game, sit in the bleachers, root for your son's team, and give the man a fair chance and some time. Reserve your judgment and criticism a little longer. Hillwood will win. Maybe by tourney time this year, maybe next season. The players are already becoming winners by working as hard as he makes them and sticking with it. It will show on the scoreboard soon.

Hillwood just isn't good and dont blame coach Gamble cause he is one of the best around have you seen the things he has done with Maplewood. In the last four years he has dominated 12aaa beating teams like Stratford (Demarco Polk(2002)and Jaques Kerr(2000) Antioch Mario Moore(2002) McGavock RaShaun ? (2000) all of these teams were very talented Stratford and ANtioch especially they made state title appearances well Antioch Stratford Made it to the sub-state. Coach GAmble has won district, region, state-runner-up 2x I think so don't get on his case cause he has an impressive resume. Hillwod they just don't cut it. Maybe one day

Edited by qwmike

To Metroballfan:

You are incorrect if you believe that Hillwood's football team won games this year with talent alone. I know this is a basketball board but you need to be corrected. A Sophomore and Junior loaded fooball team was coached by several new coaches to the staff. Steve Brown, Chuck Lewis and Coach Komisar were new additions to the Varsity staff this year. Talent alone does not win 9 regular season football games in Metro Football. As for Hillwood Basketball, Chester Lewis is the teams best rebounder at 6' 2". Hall is the teams best scorer. This team is going to need some time to figure out how to put the ball in the basket in the second half. Gamble is the man to get it fixed but it will take time.