Father Ryan Tourny

Wrestle90

That was a lot of fun.

Alot of drama, a couple of upsets (maybe). Coaches warned, but not tossed.

Cody Cleveland voted OW. Well deserved. There were others that wrestled as well.

The folks came in from West Tn and did well as did the Easterners.

An Alabama team (Ben Russell High) had a champion.

The sad part is the return match ups that wont happen (3rd weekend in Feb).

Great weekend for wrestling.

Late in the finals, a huge cheer goes up as if everyone had pinned on all four mats. As it turned out, the Titans had pinned the Ravens.

reftn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a lot of fun.

Alot of drama, a couple of upsets (maybe). Coaches warned, but not tossed.

Cody Cleveland voted OW. Well deserved. There were others that wrestled as well.

The folks came in from West Tn and did well as did the Easterners.

An Alabama team (Ben Russell High) had a champion.

The sad part is the return match ups that wont happen (3rd weekend in Feb).

Great weekend for wrestling.

Late in the finals, a huge cheer goes up as if everyone had pinned on all four mats. As it turned out, the Titans had pinned the Ravens.

reftn

Just a few things about the tourney...I was surprised at how bad Hiller beat Ibrahim. Hiller wreslted well from top, bottom, and neutral. It was probably the best that I have ever seen him wrestle. Unranked Kellen Holliman won at 130. He could be the most oversized kid at any weight class. He is enormous. Borneman pinned Gessler in the semis at 152. That was unexpected. Even though Dix of Farragut got pinned, he took a couple of the quickest, strongest shots I've seen in a while. I think he'll win state, but Myers is just a beast. Jake Graham came out of nowhere to pin Tyler Mayo in the finals, and even more surprising, Justin Blair pinned Bond Davis. Adam Valentine is a kid to watch at state, with a respectable loss to Stark. Brentwood Academy's two big kids have won Franklin and Father Ryan in back-to-back weeks. I'd say they will retain their #1 rankings.

Reftn,

I noticed that at 215 finals, there was some confusion at the end of the 2nd period. The Brentwood Academy coach went wild because he thought his kid had choice of position to begin 3rd period and he didn't. Was there a mistake by the officials? I think the coach got a warning because he was visible upset. Over all I think the officiating went well. It must have because I haven't heard McCallie complain about it yet!

Watch out for Franklin this year, they are loaded and will have more kids in the line-up by tournament time. I also don't think Davis could beat Blair even if there was a rematch. As I saw it, Davis gave everything to Blair early and even had him close to his back with some great moves but they didn't seem to faze Blair. Then Blair getting on top and absolutely dominate, and I mean DOMINATE Davis.

Not sure about the 215 match, but will find out what the confusion was.

The final at 103 surprised me, boredom. The Webb kid was really patient, and the Kenwood kid seemed to allow it.

I knew the Davis/Blair match was going to create some stir. I wonder if Davis wishes he had chosen up or neutral?

Dunning wrestles well. Nothing to take from Ortiz, I like him too. Dunning wrestles like that gum on your shoe, its stuck there and not coming off.

Hiller was Hiller. No surprises, you pretty well know whats coming, so stop it if

you can. He doesnt seem to mind 5-0, 4-1, 15-0, just win baby. I never see him look at the clock.

Cleveland seemed to rock right along, pinning through as did W.Simpson.

The Ben Russell Alabama kid 152 was quick as a spit, great ankle pick.

Stark (171) wrestled well. Even though up 4-2, he changed stretegies in his finals match and stretched it out. I think the Valentine kid (just out of football) looked a bit winded. Would look great in a state match up, not to be.

Not sure who can wrestle with Pease of Clarksville. Has he been beat? Tough customer, looked good against another tough customer, Adams of Ryan.

I did miss one call <cough, cough>. Cautioned a kid on optional when he was not infront of the line extended. I repent. (J.D. thank ya for makin me better)

reftn

Per the 215 final between BA's J.T. Wash (note the spelling, please; it's not Walsh) and Ryan's Chris Lomas:

The way I understood it was that right after the second period ended, Wash took his second injury timeout. His first injury timeout came at the end of the first. According to one very knowledgable fan who I was seated next to, when a wrestler takes a second injury timeout, he forfeits his right to choose. Thus, Wash was not allowed to choose at the beginning of the third, despite Lomas getting the choice at the beginning of the second.

All of this, by the way, is a moot point. Didn't matter whether Wash got choice or not. He was able to control the match from all three positions.

Also, FYI, according to the on site trainer, Wash was battling a case of walking pneumoniia throughout the tournament, thus the shortness of breath.

Great tournament put on by Ryan, although I found it kind of tacky to announce the Titans scores in the middle of the finals. However, their win did draw the crowd's loudest cheer of the day so maybe I should just shut my mouth. And we wonder why this sport isn't more popular...

Everything is run very well. I just wish they would adopt the use of a match board. 1) It cuts down on the excessive noise of every match being called in the hole, on deck, and now wrestling for 5 mats. 2) It makes it easier to track the event if bout numbers are utilized. The wall brackets are not updated in a timely manner. Bout numbers make scouting easier. You find the bout number and watch the match. Without updated wall brackets, you had to guess who won previous bouts to get to the match in the bracket you are trying to scout. 3) If the wrong wrestler is accidently advanced in the bracket, the correct wrestler still will show up at the mat for the next bout. The reliance on announced names is eliminated. 4) Bout numbers are already on the brackets of the program they are sing. Less than $100.00 in materials is all it takes to make a match board and bout number cards. 5) Some names are diffficult to pronounce. Some people might even be insulted when their name is mispronounced. A match board eliminates this for the most part.

Edited by luchador