Father Ryan Tourny

Wrestle90

That is the nature of the beast. No one, and I mean no one, can possibly know how to pronounce every name out there. Even though some names may have been, as you said, butchered, the "problem" generally lies in the oversensitivity of the wrestler whose name was mispronounced. Mrs. Dunning does a great job of keeping things moving on the mats. There is never any dead time, except when a wrestler does not show up on time. The tournament at Houston went to a match board last year and it was a positive change. I love the silence of the state tournemant. Tournaments are fun to watch. They are even more fun without the distraction of constant announcements going on all day long.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they definately need to change. i'm not trying to be mean or anything but that lady's voice got annoying by saturday. all of that calling out names is just a big waste of time. is there really any advantage to calling out names? i really don't see one. but they really need to change to make the tournament better. btw, the bathrooms were clean unlike many public schools.

pindu,

Speroff's parents were not too fond of him cutting to 119 for the rest of the season. He lost to David Hunt (something like 4-0) in wrestle-offs, thus putting him at 130. I know it seems wierd, but he is a great technical wrestler. I don't think he weighed much more than 125 at the tourney, and that was probably mostly fatty, hollow weight. Let him get up to a solid 130, and he should be ready to compete. He was beating the Eli Cox of Kenwood by several points, I believe, when he got pinned. I think that once he gets a dozen or so matches under his belt at 130, he should be able to compete to place state.

PikmenGod,

I know. That was hilarious. She seemed like a sweet lady, but it was killing me every time she said Kellen Holliman. Good tournament, though, as always.

luchador - the match board topic has been discussed on this forum the 2 previous years. Like yourself, I think a match board would make it a more pleasant environment, but the Ryan folks obviously prefer their current process. They are not alone, surprisingly the Bethleham, PA tourney doesn't use a match board either. Plenty of parking, clean bathrooms, ample seating when they go to 4 mats, quality competition, and some of the best popcorn around make it a good tourney year after year. With the gate from a 30+ team tourney, it seems like they could upgrade the awards a little? Was there a best match awarded?

For the people that are complaining about the public address lady calling out the names, you need to attend the NCAA tournament. At the NCAA's they will even go so far as to tell you the wrestlers records, match score. I once heard the PA person say "Defending national champion Randy Lewis from Iowa is locked-up and ready to throw down on mat number 8".

Yes, Best Match went to 189 lb. As for all the discussion about how the tournament was run you all should focus on the wrestling and competition. Margaret Dunning and Robert Jemison (Tournament Director) Did an outstanding job. All matches were not only on time but extra breaks were added because it ran so well. The Hospitality room was excellent Coach Simpson's wife and a host of Wrestling Moms fed a lot more than refs and coaches. Breakfast and lunch!!. The facilities were kept clean and neat. Awards I will say need improvement. But all in all we you came o make your kids better wrestlers thru good competiton. I think you got your $100 worth and then some....plus the popcorn rocks!!!!

irishdad - why so thin skinned? Every comment I read was positive in nature. I would think that you would be interested in constructive feedback from your customers (Ryan is selling this tourney at $14 per person beyond the team entrance fee). As it exists, it is one of the better tourneys in the state. If your goal is to improve the tourney when possible, then this type of feedback is worth considering.

Dear Walkenvol and texas, if you feel that praising a job well is thin skinned so be it We have spent the weekends in Ohio that were long, dis-organized, filthy bathrooms $250 entrance fee and no popcorn.

So I appreciate the praise for our tournament. If I have appeared ungrateful or thin skinned it was not my intention. My intention was to give praise to those who had done a great job.

personally, i like the match board for all the reasons luchador stated. also, there needs to be a buffer zone between the mats and could easily be done when you go to four mats. when 4 and 5 were put together saturday afternoon, i saw numerous times when a single contact point was out but the wrestlers were into the other mat area and the match stopped. just a suggestion.