Who are the best High School Girls Players

LBQuarterbackClub

Thanks youdon'tknowme, I finally remembered and was getting ready to post! Did she go onto med school?

As to the member of the Sanders family that is pushing Kara so hard, I saw her to, and she is NOT the best small school player. Laxton, and those girls from Rutledge and Pickett were way better. No offense to Kara!

Well done on the Pearl Moore selection, after 3 decades of this I'm getting forgetful papatj!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No relation to Laxton, but in reviewing this post many of the people don't separate from a good high school player and a great basketball player.

Kara was a good high school player, and seemed to be a nice person, but she is not in the league of the players I've mentioned.

Laxton came about 20 years after my time, and I only saw her play at the State Tourney and for the Lady Vols. Most of these younger girls, last 5-10 years, I haven't had the opportunity to work with or recruit.

Tennessee has produced some outstanding players (having UT and Vandy helps) and most of the players listed on this post won't make the top 50 ie Kara. I think Laxton would.

Azzi is the State's best, but a strong argument for the next 4 out of the top 5 would be heated.

Anyone earlier than Holly Warwick probably can't be considered because the game has changed so much. I think Shelia Frost and her 2 national titles has to be in the top 5 and so would Karen Morten although injuries make it hard to say what she would have done in college and the pros.

Peck would probably round out my top 5 but like I said there is room for debate. Shelybyville with Woosley and Lamb were strong but not in these girls class. Sexton was great in high school but a knee injury cost her 2 1/2 years of college.

papatj reminded me about Pearl Moore (who was from a small single A school) and she was as good, if not better than Laxton.

So I know I may be offending you (I still think you may be Kara's dad) but she is not in the same league as the other girls.

Sorry. And for the record I have no daughters only a son, and Kara could whip him! He can't go to his left.

First of all, I have really enjoyed reading the post about this subject. The names being brought up just bring back so many great memories.

I grew up on Upper Cumberland Basketball, so my list is of Upper Cumberland gals only. It was hard to narrow down, but these are the players that I actually got to see play and who I thougt were the best from our area. (No particular order)

1) Kelly Jolly - White Co. (UT)- You have seen her accomplishments listed above in several post.

2) Shawn Monday - Clarkrange (Tenn Tech) - The best high school point guard that I have ever seen. Just give her the ball, and it made it up the floor. Led team to ( I think ) 3 State Titles in the mid 80's. Holds NCAA record for assist in one game (22).

3) Amy Brown - Livingston (La Tech) - Unstoppable fade-away jumper on the block. It was beautiful to watch. Led LA to State Title in 90. Started in National Title Game against Texas Tech.

4) Brooke Armistead - Gordonsville (Austin Peay) - As smooth as silk, very deceptive with her speed and a beautiful shot from anywhere on the floor. She currently holds the all time scoring record (men or women) at Austin Peay.

5) Andrea Davidson - Jackson Co. (UNC Charlotte) - 3 State Champ Rings - Smooth, deadly shooter from anywhere on the floor, could handle the ball, rebound and play great defense. Currently at Charlotte avg about 9 pts per game as a sophmore.

There are so many others to list but these are my picks for the Upper Cumberland area. ;)

Arnwine--- I do not appriciate being called a liar about being related to the sanders family. I was just agreeing with a pick someone had already posted. You seem to be only familiar with east Tenn. teams. If you want to see some good single A basketball you might want to come out of the mountains and head over to middle and west Tenn. I dont like to disagree with anyone on this message board because all the girls who have been posted have been good ones. So why arnwine would you try to degrade other players. You are just showing your lack of class. Ive done some research on this,Sanders was nominated for miss basketball her junior and senior year,winning it the ladder year. Have any of the girls you have n amed done that? Im bored and thru with the subject,you will not be getting any more responses from me on the subject. thank you and good day

Hey Arnwine, Thanks for the compliment. I had to make a couple of calls on your request for the Pickett Girls in the 70's that won 4 straight. If I have been informed correctly the coach started 5 Freshmen in 1977 and those 5 (plus teammates) won 4 straight State Class A titles from 1977-80. Now for the names. I think I know a few but not all and need help from any Pickett Co. person to let me know if I have my facts straight.

Here are the names that I have:

Dorris Garrett (State MVP '79 and '80)

Debbie Huddleston

Brenda Upchurch

Perri Huckaby (State MVP '78)

According to my last years State Tourney Program, they went 126-15 those 4 years.

:P