Who are the best High School Girls Players

LBQuarterbackClub

Late 70's, Chester County's Cassandra Howard led Chester to the runner-up vs Bolivar and the championship the next year . Could jump out of the gym. Averaged over 45 pts/game. Transitioned from 6-on-6 to 5-on 5 during her career. Is coaching in the Army I believe. Was featured in Sports Illustrated in mid '90's when she was STILL PLAYING with the Army all over the world!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be somewhat biased towards Laxton of Oneida, I felt compelled to say that the team she was on that won the state was not exceptionally deep or talented.  With no disrespect to the players on that team, who were all good players, Brynae literally willed those girls to the championship that year.  She was good where ever Coach H. needed to put her, inside or out.  In high school it is rare, even in single A, to have one primary weapon in which if the other team can stop or slow down that player, the teams chances of success diminish greatly.  Oneida had that player in Laxton, her coach even anounced on the eve of their first game that Laxton was the horse they road in on and they would continue to ride her as far as she would take them.  She wasn't the greatest athlete on the court and yet, she understood how to equalize her abilities against more athletic players.  If you took Laxton off of that team, I don't think the Lady Indians would have had much of a chance to even reach the state tournament.  I am satisfied that all the other young ladies mentioned on this post hold memories for their fans in much the same manner Brynae did for me.

thumb Kaz thumb

825599401[/snapback]

Just so you know kazam37 the Oneida team went on to the state tourny several more times w/o laxton. And, yes, you have shown disrespect to the other girls on the team who worked and practiced just as hard as anyone else, maybe harder. If you can't think of anyone else on that team that showed "exceptional talent" you were not watching the same team I was. And although they did not win the next years team went to the final four(with a new coach and one senior). I also remember that Oneida went several times b4 laxton played on the High School team. Not to say that laxton wasn't good, she was and still is one of the best players to come out of Oneida. But I think anyone that knows Oneida has forgotten several very good players. Vickee Kazee who played for and also now coaches(softball) at Carson-Newman. Sandy West who also played college ball. And how could you even mention Oneida w/o even mentioning who put Oneida High School's girls basketball team on the map Kerry Boyatt....need I say more?

Jackie Hughes, center, Stewart County. Unstoppable. Strongest girl I have even seen play. Think Earl Campbell. Could not be guarded by one person. Could go left or right.

All-State player.

Best in Clarksville Area in the 80's. Averaged 20 a game and when she was double-teamed, she would score anyways. When tripled teamed, she usually passed to a guard or to forward Lori Steeley, who averaged 18 a game.

Had multiple college offers. Played at Austin Peay in Clarksville.

by the way, Kellie Jolly, who is now Kellie Harper and one of the greats you all have mentioned, is making her name in coaching.  In her first year ever as head coach, her Western Carolina Lady Catamounts won the Southern Conference Tournament and will advance to the NCAA Tournament.  Kellie is the first coach in Southern Conference to ever do that in her inaugural year as head coach.  Just had to brag on her a bit.  Way to go Kellie.

825604793[/snapback]

Congrats to Kellie. White County is proud of you. :D

Shelbyville? Recruit? Come on!

Woosley and Lamb were great (especially Lamb) I just don't see Ville except at tourney time.

Great Program, but none of their players in my top 5.

Thanks for watching my back MAV, good luck against Scott Co tonight.

825118345[/snapback]

It is obvious you never watched them play, one of the best to ever play high school ball was Angela Moorehead. She didn't shoot, dribble, pass or anything else fundamental she just totally dominated from 83 till 87. No one could stop her.

alset, I don't dispute in any way that Oneida has had a great many outstanding basketball players over the years. Kerry Boyatt, Vicky Kazee, and Sandy West would all make my All-Time Starting Five, along with Laxton and you can take one more from almost any decade and find a strong fifth player to fill out my line-up. I do dispute your thought that I have a "lack" of respect for the other players on that championship team. As I stated in my previous post, they were all very good players, but more importantly they were even harder workers! Brynae also picked up the MVP award at that State Tournament and also set a state record which I believe still stands. This topic asked for recognizing the best players ever in the state of Tennessee, I thought Brynae's career was worthy of being mentioned. Without any disrespect to her teammates OR great players that preceeded, and follow her to this day. Sorry you felt otherwise.

thumb Kaz thumb

One of those losses that Powell and Meigs County had was in the State Tourney to Gibson Co, who was lead by Anna Richardson. She was recruited by many D1 schools but stayed home went to Union and lead them to the NAIA Championship her Freshman year. She set many 3 pt records at UU while there and I believe she still holds a record at the State Tournament. Other girls that led GC in the late 80's and early 90's that went on to play college ball. These were the girls who started it all as far as GC being a West Tennessee Power in Girls Basketball.

Paige (Duncan) McMillian-Lambuth-now assitant at Westview

Missy Herndon-Lambuth-still holds record in State Tourney FG%

Sonya Wilkins-Union

Teresa Brooks-Union

Christy Hicks-UTM

Keri Smithson-Montevello-UTM

Peggy Hall-Montevello

Tiffany Atkins-Ole Miss & Memphis

Amy Stephens-Lambuth

Laura Hall from Oliver Springs and Brooke Johnson from Seymour have to be on the list for their respective schools. I know they both hold many school records and even some state ones. Both led their teams to the state tourney twice in their careers and I think both made it to the final four both times. I know they both made it to the final four in 2004. Laura is having a great career at UTC and Brooke at CN.

South Greene:

Debbie Hawhee - Tennessee

Susan Starnes - Tusculum (check out the record books at TC)

Jennifer Davis - Clemson

Jennette Davis - Clemson

Nicole Hopson - ETSU

Just my opinion here but that is some fine talent!

Looking back from when I used to do radio at a local station and getting the opportunity to do state tourney games when a local team made it, there have been a lot of talent in the state of Tennessee.