Run to Pass Relationship

ELA

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

As an avid football fan, I would definitely say the passing game is very exciting, but to win you must be able to run and stop the run. I think the run-pass ratio depends a lot on personnel. For instance, Dobyns-Bennett was a run oriented offense a few years ago, but now that they have Durren Ferguson and Lamon Williams, they seem to throw a little more. Just an example of adjusting to the talent you have in your program, which good coaches like Graham Clark do every year at the high school level.

As we all know, the ratio may depend on the players that you have. Some teams may run to set up the pass and some may pass to set up the run.

I like a fairly balanced offense but it doesn't always work that way.

What's your opinion ELA. Do yo like that wide open, fun & gun or do you like that up the gut, run it down your throat style ???

As we all know, the ratio may depend on the players that you have. Some teams may run to set up the pass and some may pass to set up the run.

I like a fairly balanced offense but it doesn't always work that way.

What's your opinion ELA. Do yo like that wide open, fun & gun or do you like that up the gut, run it down your throat style ???

I am a spread offensive coach, but that doesn't mean throw it every down.

"There are three things that can happen when you throw the football, and two of them are bad." General Neyland.

If the General were alive today... I wonder what he would think about his beloved TN Vols?

BTW... I coached his great-grandson a few years back in Franklin.

We threw the ball much more this year at Smith County at it helped us out tremendously. Yes, we had a running back with almost 2000 yards but our QB also threw for somewhere around 1500. It ultimately made our ground game alot tougher to stop since we could throw the ball. Plus, we were able to sustain more drives since we could convert 3rd downs at a higher percentage because we were a little more used to throwing.

It is usually hard to put into percentage terms. It all depends on whether you can pass and run effectively. If you can, then you can probably have a good balance, because each facet feeds off the other. However if you do only one of these well, then you will have no balance. I think coaches are reluctant to pigeon-hole themselves into saying we have a 60 run/40% pass balance. It all depends on personnel and philosophy. Some coaches are going to run no matter what the situation, personnel, time of the game, etc. Many coaches are going to run their system no matter if there is balance or not.

Also, there are some high school coaches that I know that seem to think that the "forward pass" is a derogatory term. You know what I mean. These coaches will call themselves "conservative", and these coaches probably don't have very good offenses. Or else they have talent out the wazoo. Just an opinion.

I also think the ratio is dependent on the head coach and his philosophy. If your head coach is a defensive coach, he most likely wants the team to run the ball and condense the game. Also reduces the chances of turnovers. If the head coach is an offensive minded coach, the ball may be in the air more. I really believe successful coaches play to their talent.

Balance is the key to any offense. The most important thing (As red81kpsmash says) is you have to be able to run the football and stop the run.

George Quarles adjust's to his talent. In 1997,98 and 99 Maryville threw the ball a lot because Maryville had Toki McCray and Jason Phillips at quarterback and Ryan Maples,Joey Gourley,Josh Campbell,Scott Wilks,David Sweetland,Cole Hammontree and Patrick Thomas at receiver. Maryville had pretty good running backs but were much better at receiver and quarterback.

In 2000,2001 and 2002 Maryville ran the ball more because they had outstanding running backs like Carl Stewart,TJ Brock,Chris McCord,Antonio Byner,Adam Parnell and Marqelle Baker. Receivers and Quarterbacks were still good but running back was Maryville's strengths on those teams.

None of these offenses would work without a good offensive line. Maryville is blessed with one of the best offensive line coaches in the state of Tennessee.David Ellis is a great coach.

I would rather have a team that can smash mouth but I like to throw the ball a lot also. 60-40 run would be perfect.

Balance is the key to any offense. The most important thing (As red81kpsmash says) is you have to be able to run the football and stop the run.

George Quarles adjust's to his talent. In 1997,98 and 99 Maryville threw the ball a lot because Maryville had Toki McCray and Jason Phillips at quarterback and Ryan Maples,Joey Gourley,Josh Campbell,Scott Wilks,David Sweetland,Cole Hammontree and Patrick Thomas at receiver. Maryville had pretty good running backs but were much better at receiver and quarterback.

In 2000,2001 and 2002 Maryville ran the ball more because they had outstanding running backs like Carl Stewart,TJ Brock,Chris McCord,Antonio Byner,Adam Parnell and Marqelle Baker. Receivers and Quarterbacks were still good but running back was Maryville's strengths on those teams.

None of these offenses would work without a good offensive line. Maryville is blessed with one of the best offensive line coaches in the state of Tennessee.David Ellis is a great coach.

I would rather have a team that can smash mouth but I like to throw the ball a lot also. 60-40 run would be perfect.

I agree with whatever Maryville does because they win. No doubt a team that can run the ball effectively can dominate and control a game. However, a team that throws well can score in a hurry.