Upperman 25, Harpeth Hall 59

ShutupandPlay

7AA is always OVERRATED, and I really don't know why, could it be a stigma that has labeled them or could it be loyal fans tooting their team? 7AA teams resist playing competitive teams whether it be A AA AAA or DII in order to pad their records.

Very few teams in 7AA has every played a game in a state tournament.

Why they are even rated, much less OVERRATED is a mystery?

Can anyone solve it?

Edited by 7AAwatcher

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

University School of Nashville lost to Harpeth Hall last year 61-9, so I would not hold that game up as any sort of accomplishment on Upperman's part. As for the Shelbyville game, I am not making any predictions. I think Shelbyville is very strong and is definitely the favorite going into the game. I also think that Jackson County is strong and very deserving of all the attention that they receive. 4 gold balls is a strong statement. For the record, I do not think that 7AA is overrated, although I do think that Upperman is overrated this year. My point all along has been that people seem to want to make excuses rather than say their team got whipped and move on. If HH loses to Shelbyville by 34, I will say that HH got whipped and move on.

Great answer "dedicatedmom"!

I have seen Upperman play and I have seen Harpeth Hall play...Harpeth Hall is not a 30 point better team by no means. You didn't have to see that game to know that tall players with long arms would definetly be at an advantage on an "elementary size" floor. Play that game on the size floor Upperman has and it kind of evens up Upperman's smaller team.

But...what does it matter???...Jackson County is bringing home their 5th gold ball anyway!!!! :D:):):)

I have been reading all of these posts about who is underrated and overrated and the fact is, in high school basketball, there are a lot of teams who could be a lot of teams on any given night. At this age, the consistency of teams and individual players is so irregular that it is hard to say who is better unless it is completely obvious.

I was at the HH/Upperman game. The reffing was bad, point blank and no one can deny that. Harpeth Hall fans were embarressed by the refs because Upperman had never played there and so from an Upperman standpoint, I can easily see how you could say, "well the private school paid the refs". But, for Harpeth Hall's sake, the refs didn't give Upperman 34 points. The blowout was a combonation of things: Harpeth Hall was hot, Upperman was not, Harpeth Hall's defense was on, and Upperman's press defense didn't shake HH. On another night it could have been a different game. But that night, Harpeth Hall was clearly victorious. And my statement goes back to what I said in the beginning, on any given night, one high school team can be better than the next. No one can look at who beat who and what the scores were to make an evaluation on any basketball team.

As far as private schools recruiting...people get on CoachT all the time and say how bad DII basketball is. DII is not given very much credit, and granted, there are definitely teams in DII that do not have quality programs. But how can you constantly underrate DII basketball, yet when you lose to a DII squad, you blame it on the fact that they recruit? Aren't you contridicting yourself? If DII recruits, why aren't they the best division in the state of Tennessee? Why aren't they given any credit? And in conclusion to recruiting, there was one program that recruited kids. And by the way...Upperman is a little county with 300 students...Harpeth Hall's high school has 300 kids as well.

This post is very long, but these issues that need to be addressed. So to recap everything I have written above, TEAMS CANNOT BE LABELED, UNDERRATED, OVERRATED, OR BADMOUTHED ON THIS SITE. And, I like most of the people posting on this site are grown adults and I think that we all need to have a little more dignity and remember that the kids we write about on here are reading everything we say. Its a game. Its an intense game that gets players to college, gives them hopes and dreams and takes them places. It needs to be fun, because it is life. I'm finished now.

Edited by macksdaddy

I get sick of hearing how 7AA is so dominant.  Jackson County has been dominant, not 7AA.  You people need to get it straight.  7AA has not won the last four state championships, Jackson County has....period. :o

Need a puke bag? We've got it straight, here it is, see if you can get it.

1998 7AA State Runner-up

1999 7AA State Champion 7AA State Runner-up

2000 7AA State Champion

2001 7AA State Champion 7AA State Runner-up

And then there is Jackson County ;)

Need a puke bag?  We've got it straight, here it is, see if you can get it.

1998 7AA State Runner-up

1999 7AA State Champion    7AA State Runner-up

2000 7AA State Champion

2001 7AA State Champion    7AA State Runner-up

And then there is Jackson County :ph34r:

Good post mackdaddy. How far back should we take this for TWHOOPS?

2003 State Champs - Jackson County - Runner up - Westview, LA final 8

2002 State Champs - Jackson County

2001 State Champs - Jackson County - Runner up - Upperman

2000 State Champs - Jackson County

1999 State Champs - Livingston Academy - Runner up - Jackson County

1999 Runner up 1A - Upperman, Before moving to AA

1998 State Runner Up - Livingston Academy

1997 State Semis - Livingston Academy, Champs & Runner up?

1996 State Champs - Westview - Runner up - Livingston Academy, Gibson Final 8

1995 State Semis - Livingston Academy

1994 State Champs - Livingston Academy York Final 8

1993 State Runner Up - Livingston Academy

1991 State Semis - Livingston Academy

1990 State Champs - Livingston Academy

1989 State Champs - Cannon County

Feel free to correct me on mistakes, as I did this from memory. Just a little West/Middle TN comparison. Look at the bold print.

Looks like 7AA domination goes back quite a ways.

7AA: State Champions 8 Years

7AA: State Runners Up 6 years

7AA: State Semis 2 Years

7AA: Final Eight 2 Years

Edited by ShutupandPlay