Inmature Coaching

Sportster

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the satisfaction of seeing one of these coaches get it put back in his face, well sort of. My kids played at Rockvale Elementary in Rutherford County and our JV always hosted a tournament each year as a fund raiser. Each year Shelbyville came in and would run the score up.

When we hit a three pointer in overtime to beat them, the whole gym, except Shelbyville's fans was so happy. No we didn't get to run the score up on them, but we finally beat them. And they were terrible losers. It's a shame a few folks represent a program with their outspoken comments and excuses.

Every coach meets his match, it's inevitable.

if the coach from lighthouse is the same as last year then she is the daughter of one of the head guys at the TSSAA org. that is terrible for any coach to run up the score like that and still be pressing after half time !!

Menees is not at Lighthouse anymore. She is an assistant at DCA. I understand that we are talking about Lighthouse in Antioch, Tn. There is also a Lighthouse Christian in Millington, Tn. thats a couple of years old. They compete in DII. For those who may get confused with the two schools.

i feel like that a coach needs to have his starters play the first half and a little of in the third quarter. i feel that just playing less then a half in a game that is a blowout does not help your starters get better. the pressing part i can see would be wrong with starters in there when your up by more then 30. but if a coach puts in the bench i believe that a coach has every right to press with his bench players in. The reason for this is for the coaches bench to get better at every aspect of the game not just a half court defense and if the bench runs the score up by running their set offense u cant really say anything bout that. i would rather a team who has its bench in beat me bad by running their offense then a team beating me bad by holding the ball and slowing up the game.

You wimps!

I know, when a team gets ahead by ten points we should not allow them to guard in the back court. You know, like at the YMCA. Even Better, we could make a team up by 30 at half time switch uniforms and see if they can overcome the deficit that they created. Hey, I know! We can all get to the gym, with the uniforms in a box and we can line the girls up smallest to largest and each coach gets to pick a player. At the end of each quater, we can re-balance the squads to make it fair. I know lets stop keeping score so we don't hurt peoples feelings. After the game we can form a circle, hold hands, and all sing Kum-by-yah.

Come on, I didn't hear you crying when Lighthouse was getting crushed by their district opponents last year. If you and your team don't want to get whipped, quit playing the game. If a coach thinks it is important to work on his press in the fourth quarter its none of your business. If you can't stand the pressure go play rec ball. The difference between winners and losers in all sport is determined by the person who commits the most time, hard work, and desire. Loser's have tears in their eyes, WINNERS have fire. Quit crying and start working!

i feel like that a coach needs to have his starters play the first half and a little of in the third quarter. i feel that just playing less then a half in a game that is a blowout does not help your starters get better. the pressing part i can see would be wrong with starters in there when your up by more then 30. but if a coach puts in the bench i believe that a coach has every right to press with his bench players in. The reason for this is for the coaches bench to get better at every aspect of the game not just a half court defense and if the bench runs the score up by running their set offense u cant really say anything bout that. i would rather a team who has its bench in beat me bad by running their offense then a team beating me bad by holding the ball and slowing up the game.

I agree totally. How can bench players get better at pressing and running your normal fastbreak offense, if they can only come in the game, sit in a zone, let the other team shoot, get the rebound, walk it up the floor, pass 5 times before they shoot????

If pressing and running the floor is your coaching philosophy, your bench players should be allowed to play the way they practice. They practice hard and want to score and play just like the starters.

If you are scheduling teams, just to beat them to death, then you have a problem. However, if a weaker team is in your District..... that's a different story. Remember, its each coach's job to stop the other team. If you cannot do that try a different field.

One last example, the Cloudland football team beat teams to death. However, they often pulled their starters after the first series of the third quarter. When they played in the playoffs, their starters did not have the game stamina built up to play a tough opponent for an entire game, thus, possibly costing them a State Championship.

It's a touchy subject, but you must look at both sides.

obrutone, again you say something right and start to make a good point and end up with your foot in your mouth. (agree) The big thing is not what the other team is doing but who are they doing it with. Some teams are pressing teams, some are not. Everyone that walks onto the floor must be taught to give 100%. Any varsity team should be able to compete against another varstiy's 2nd or 3rd string players. If not, and not a conference team, then a very poor job of scheduling by the coaches. And that's what happend to Cloudland, very poor scheduling. A coach can keep their players in shape. The team might not like it but they can be in shape. So brut, ever run the score up on someone? ever been on the other end? if so, let us know what you felt like.

obrutone, again you say something right and start to make a good point and end up with your foot in your mouth. (agree) The big thing is not what the other team is doing but who are they doing it with. Some teams are pressing teams, some are not. Everyone that walks onto the floor must be taught to give 100%. Any varsity team should be able to compete against another varstiy's 2nd or 3rd string players. If not, and not a conference team, then a very poor job of scheduling by the coaches. And that's what happend to Cloudland, very poor scheduling. A coach can keep their players in shape. The team might not like it but they can be in shape. So brut, ever run the score up on someone? ever been on the other end? if so, let us know what you felt like.

Can't say that I remember, personally, ever running up the score. But I have had it run up on me (last year in particular) and not once complained if they were pressing with their 2's & 3's. If they had their starters in, I probably was upset, but it is my job to prepare them to play. Against teams with their starters in the whole time, I've tried ball control or anything else to slow them down. But it is MY job to stop them! Some years you can, some years you can't....

As far as conditioning, you know as well as I do track or gym shape is WAY different from game shape. Maybe if I had continued to press and run the year before, maybe I would not have been beaten as often last year???

blue springs was playing lick skillet one night and lick skillet kept the heat up on blue springs to an all time high. this resulted in into hard feelings boiling over and blue springs coaches were seeing red. after Pam Grease scored her 10th three point goal, the coach allowed her to branch out and score a half dozen more. the coach was up the creek with the school board which resulted him being in hot water with all his peers.

If you're up by 30 at halftime, should you run a press the whole second half? No. that's stupid, no one can defend that with an intelligent response. Put your 2's and 3's in. If the lead still increases, so be it. You can't tell your bench not to play hard, they've been working hard and waiting for an opportunity. If you have to leave some starters in, okay, but not to press, just to help guide the 2's and 3's. If you are blowing a team out and still playing starters, what are you saying to your 2's and 3's that bust their butt for you every day?