Giles Co. 58, Loretto 50

PageMan

Loretto.....9....14....6....21.....50

Giles Co..17.....8....15...18.....58

Giles Co. 58 - Robin Leslie 21, Aljanise Ewing 16, Aldenise Ewing 10, Taylor Wade 7, Chancey Parsons 2, Alex Coleman 2

Loretto 50 - Rachel Stone 22, Jana Cross 14, Paige Hannah 4, Jessica Green 4, Leah Stone 3, Channing Franklin 3

Three Point Goals:

Giles Co. 2 (Aljanise Ewing 2)

Loretto 4 (R. Stone 2, Cross, Franklin)

Team Free Throws:

Giles Co. 20 of 40 (50.0%)

Loretto 18 of 26 (69.2%)

Team Fouls:

Giles Co. 24 - Fouled Out: Parsons, Wade

Loretto 30 - Fouled Out: L. Stone, J. Green

Turnovers: Giles Co. 12, Loretto 20

Well, it was another foul-filled free throw shooting contest again by these two teams. I'll do the math for you - 66 FT's, 54 Fouls. It was a parade all night, especially for Giles Co. In the 4th qtr alone, Giles Co. attempted 22 FT's and made 12 - that's 54.5% while Loretto attempted 16 and made 10 - that's 62.5%. So let's see, if Loretto had had 40 FT's for the game, and hit 69.2%, that would be about 28 points on FT's, making them have 10 more points, they would have won 60-58. But that's not what happened. Here is how it went. Loretto jumped out to a 1st qtr lead, 17-9, as Aljanise Ewing had 7 (2 three's) and Leslie had 6 while Loretto's R. Stone had 7 (1 three) - Cross 0. In the 2nd qtr., Cross finally got on the board with 9 (1 three) for Loretto and Leslie added 5 for Giles Co. as Giles leads at the half, 25-23. In the 3rd qtr., Leslie added 8 more for Giles while R. Stone scored all 6 of Loretto's pts. as Giles now leads 40-29 after 3 qtrs. In the 4th qtr., Aljanise Ewing had 9 and Aldenise Ewing had 7 for Giles while R. Stone had 9 and Cross had 5 for Loretto to make the final score 58-50 Giles. For me, I can't stand a game where the officials eliminate key players down the stretch and blow their whistles at both ends of the court slowing the game down. Let the teams decide the game by playing, not shooting endless FT's. Robin Leslie had 21 pts, but was only 7 of 13 from the line while Rachel Stone had 22 pts (2 three's and 6 of 9 from the line). I guess the absence of Laura Birdyshaw hurt Loretto's cause, but it things had been a little more even in the officiating, I think Loretto would have won.

Edited by PageMan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dbrady, it was a foul fest from the start. In the 1st half, Loretto was called for 12 and Giles had 10. Meredith Green of Loretto picked up 3 fouls early and did not score. Chancey Parsons & Taylor Wade had 3 each in the 1st half for Giles, but strangely Robin Leslie didn't get any fouls until the 4th qtr., I believe. You are correct that Loretto did foul down the stretch, trying to get back in the game, and with Giles only hitting 50% from the line, it was a good stragety (sp?).

sbm, I was at the game. Rachel Stone is a great player and basically carried the team in the 1st & 3rd qtrs when Jana Cross did not score. I'm a great believer in hitting at least 70% from the line, having less than 15 turnovers, & having 3 players in double figures. If you look at the stats, Giles Co. was good on turnovers & scoring, but bad on FT's. Loretto only had 2 in double figures, high on turnovers, but hit 69.2% from the line. I think Giles won overall because of the high number of FT's attempts they had. Robin Leslie is a great player and the Ewing's did well tonight as well, so I guess the three players in double figures won out tonight.

hey pageman ; glad you were there what is your opionion on how giles co. defensed jana cross, it seems that more teams are trying keep the ball away from her and trying to make loretto beat them from the outside.that is why i said that rachel has stepped up her game does it seem that if they can keep the ball away from jana that loretto has a hard time winning what is your thought on this. thanks pageman for your comments,

sbm, Robin Leslie played great defense against Jana Cross in that she blocked some of her shots & had help from Taylor Wade at times. When Jana was stopped on the inside, she moved to the top of the circle and hit a three for her first points of the night in the 2nd qtr. I think that Leslie got away with at least a couple of fouls on Cross in the 1st half which made Cross alter her shots underneath and may have initimidated her play. Another key point for Loretto was the early fouls on Meredith Green which affected the inside game for them. Giles Co. had good inside defense from Taylor Wade and Robin Leslie with their height advantage over the Loretto players. Leslie had several defensive rebounds which helped Giles Co. win. Stopping Cross is a key for any team hoping to win against Loretto, but as you said, this means players like Rachel Stone, Leah Stone, Paige Hannah, Channing Franklin, & Jessica Green must step up and deliver some points from the outside.

thanks pageman; that is what i think loretto has a good team and hope they make it all the way to m'boro but they really need to step up to have a complete game from everyone if they plan on going there. competition gets better as you know.good luck to everyone, thanks again pageman for your insight to the game.

Sbm, pageman said everything exactly right!!! Giles Co. did put a bit of a damper on Cross's game just as they did at home in " The BARN" but our biggest trouble was our own team Loretto defending Cross!! Let me explain what i mean by that!! I could probably sit here and count on one hand how many times we came down and set up an offense and got it to Jana!! Yeah, last night she was working in among trees for position and for scoring but when you dont give her the ball anymore than she got it, she cant do a whole lot!! Racheal Stone has picked up her play a great deal, and i'm proud of her for that!! However, you cant go away from what has won most of your ballgames which is Cross!!!! I also agree with the fact that Taylor Wade, and Robin Leslie both defended Jana very well, but how many times did we give her the ball at the top of they key and let her either drive, or take the 3 which she happens to have good touch on!! I can answer that question for you, it happened once, and if my memory serves me right, she was signaled for the 3-pointer, as the ball dropped through touching nothing but the bottom of the net!! Also, the absence of Laura Birdyshaw hurt us a great deal!! Dont get me wrong our ladies played terrible, with all the turnovers, and missed freethrows but even as bad as we played we got defeated by 8!! And anyone who has ever watched Birdyshaw play can tell you that even on a below average night for her she will still give you 10 to 15 pts. without much trouble!!

But no fear, our Lady Mustangs will regroup and be ready for Giles when we meet them in the district tourney back home at the barn!!

Go LADY MUSTANGS!!! And as always, my girl, Jana Cross!!!!! :ph34r:

Sbm, pageman said everything exactly right!!! Giles Co. did put a bit of a damper on Cross's game just as they did at home in " The BARN" but our biggest trouble was our own team Loretto defending Cross!! Let me explain what i mean by that!! I could probably sit here and count on one hand how many times we came down and set up an offense and got it to Jana!! Yeah, last night she was working in among trees for position and for scoring but when you dont give her the ball anymore than she got it, she cant do a whole lot!! Racheal Stone has picked up her play a great deal, and i'm proud of her for that!! However, you cant go away from what has won most of your ballgames which is Cross!!!! I also agree with the fact that Taylor Wade, and Robin Leslie both defended Jana very well, but how many times did we give her the ball at the top of they key and let her either drive, or take the 3 which she happens to have good touch on!! I can answer that question for you, it happened once, and if my memory serves me right, she was signaled for the 3-pointer, as the ball dropped through touching nothing but the bottom of the net!! Also, the absence of Laura Birdyshaw hurt us a great deal!! Dont get me wrong our ladies played terrible, with all the turnovers, and missed freethrows but even as bad as we played we got defeated by 8!! And anyone who has ever watched Birdyshaw play can tell you that even on a below average night for her she will still give you 10 to 15 pts. without much trouble!!

But no fear, our Lady Mustangs will regroup and be ready for Giles when we meet them in the district tourney back home at the barn!!

Go LADY MUSTANGS!!! And as always, my girl, Jana Cross!!!!! :ph34r:

Sportzter, I agree with everything you said right there. Racheal is a GRERAT ball player, but she should at least look to pass when she sets up the offense. Im not complaining, just suggesting. Cross cant do anything if she dont get the ball, and I also understand what you might say, well Rachael deserves pooints also. I agree, what should happen is Cross get the ball, if its not there, she can kick it out for a 3! Just my opinion though.