Tyler Smith

mas1821

I have been high and mighty on tyler for the past year... Going to most of GC's games just to see him play... And I'm beginning to see what ppl are saying about his shot.... I haven't seen him make a handful of shots from beyond the paint this year... Honestly I only remember one... And that was the three pointer against Bradley Central the first time... He's by far the most athletic player i've ever seen... But I think he's worried too much about dunks over the past 2 yrs.... I really want to see him succeed! And I would really like to see him be thought of as the best player in tennessee by the time he graduates.... But as of now..... He can't shoot the ball... Plain and simple.... I'd rather see him make some good shots from the perimeter and see him dunk once, than shoot 4 times from the perimeter and never make a shot and dunk 3 or 4 times.... I'm afraid he won't live up to his hype if he doesn't get a jumper... Thoughts?

Edited by mas1821

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That made no sense tcross... I said nothing bad about tyler... I love to watch him play, and hope that he turns out to be the best in tennessee... Heck, by the time he graduates i'd like for him to be the best in the country... But, I believe that he needs to work on his jumper... If he had a jumper, I bet noone would question if he was the best in the state... But as of right now, he doesn't have one....

Having seen Tyler play about a half dozen games this year, I am no expert on his overall game skills. But I can tell you that he is very limited in playing anywhere on the floor other than the paint on offense. He has no outside game that I have seen whatsoever and thundering dunks are a dime a dozen in college. He's not big enough to play post at the major college level and will have to play the forward position which requires someone with shooting skills. He really needs to concentrate on his outside shooting to become a prime player at the next level. Else, he's destined to be a bench player in college unless it's at a smaller school.

My Thoughts,

Typical high school syndrome. The player is cheated due to team need. Tyler Smith's best interests have been ignored for the success of the team. Don't get me wrong the team is always more important than the individual, but unfortunately it can cost a kid alot in the long run. He won't develop as a true small forward or a two guard due to the fact that he has to go to work in the paint for Giles to be successful. High Major DI would want him as a 2-3 at 6'5, therefor he needs that jumper. I hope he gets it. :)

This is exactly why many many people say the Delks are better than Tyler Smith. Many people argue that Tyler Smith is a better prospect. But from everybdoy taklin baout his shot like this there is NO WAY he could be a better prospect right now. The Delks play guard now and have a excellent jumper and they can slam the ball down with ease. The Delks will play guard in college...Tyler Smith needs to play guard or small forward in college and he will not be succesful playing the 2 or 3 in college if he can't shoot. Therefor the Delks are both better prospects at the time and in my opinion will be until Tyler develops a jump shot.PERIOD.

Well Tyler is more like 6'7 and he should get alot more looks from 5-15 ft away since they have a taller person that can play post fairly decently.In highschool a jumper doesnt get the crowd pumped up its the hard dunks that he throws down night after night.Noone knows if he can shoot since he never does it.Now if he shot more than i would see an apparent point in this topic.NOONE WANTS TO GET CUT DOWN ON HERE especially one of the top players in the COUNTRY.

College coaches dont care if the kid can hit an outside jumper. They can teach Tyler to shoot the ball, heck look at L. James he couldnt shoot either. What coaches cant coach is size and athletic ability. And, Tyler Smith has both of those things. I would be more concerned with his attitude then his jumper. He needs to improve on getting up for every game. Even the chump teams... That is his only downfall right now. The jumper will be taught in college. Almost every player that goes to collge has their shot changed by their coach, and he will be no different...

Goodluck to Tyler...

I agree with the first post...the jumper is missing. I have on occassion seen Tyler get hot and hit 3 treys in a row...very seldom, but I have seen him do it. In order for him to play legit D1 game, he must be able to hit that 20 ft jumper. We all know that Tyler can take most people his size off the dribble. They sit back and wait on him to make his move and then they set up for the charge. He needs to be able to through the crossover to the defender and then on occassion, pull up and bury the jumper...he doesn't do that right now, thus the reason for so many charges against him. Teams can predict what he is going to do.

Tyler is an awesome talent. He knows he has flaws in his game and for the most part, he has been able to work them out, but his jumper still isn't clicking and his overall game is not complete without it.