Freshman Basketball

HamP

Let's realize that Science Hill's freshmen team does not include their three best freshmen...one plays jv and two play (and often start) on the varsity. That being said, last nights game saw the Hill leading 14-8 at the end of the first period and then the Indians outscored them 71-25 to runaway with the win. Kingsport's Sevier Middle School last year beat Science Hill's team to win the TMSSA Sectional Championship, the D-B freshmen are that Sevier team and the addition of a fine 6-3 post player who played for Colonial Heights Middle last year (they tied for third @ the Sectional). D-B also had a 6-8 freshman post who is playing jv and varsity. Three of the other freshmen are also playing jv for the Indians.

This is a strong class that plays well together (in all sports).

Roll Tribe Roll

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WaCo & GLee,

Being old school as I proudly am, the freshmen classes @ D-B, Science Hill, and Betsy have a lot of old school work ethic and pride and I think will bring back some of the luster...not that this hasn't been an exciting year for high school hoops in northeast Tennessee, a very even year competition wise, but these freshmen are special. WaCo, where were you sitting last night? Why didn't we talk about this D-B freshmen team? Hey, the battles will start next year. These guys from D-B: Sensabaugh, Throp, Powell, Williamson, Burton, Lane, Blackwell, Giacometti, Greer & others...they can really play, as can Reid, Wattad, and Rhynes from S.H. Reid played some AAU ball with some of the D-B kids last year and he is truly a fine young man. These guys respect each other, but understand the rivalry between the schools and have their own rivalries that have been growing since they were 9 or 10. These freshmen have a lot of work to do to live up to expectations, but I think they thrive on that challenge.

Where were you sitting WaCo?

Roll Tribe Roll

skunk,

Can't remember the letter, but was sitting in the third section to the right of the entrance. I was sitting with "spear24" and his son. You were busy behind the mik when I saw you. I will have to introduce myself at one of DB's games. Your son Joseph is going to be special (he already is). I like watching him play, and would like to see him turn it loose more. I like the way he puts "english" on some of his bounce passes. The #10 (please tell me his name) is special two. It blowes me away what he can do with his handicap. I think he should be a national story.

WaCo :D JaCo

WaCo,

#10 is Blake Leeper, his older brother Kris plays on the jv...Blake is a great kid and has a great brother and a great set of parents. I don't say great very often, but these folks qualify. Let me tell you a quick story about Blake...he was 6 playing city league against the team Kim Sensabaugh & I coached (Josef and Coty obviously played for us)... I had known Blake and his family for a couple of years and knew he played on artificial legs and had seen them off of him...but, he fell right in front of me going for a steal, one of his legs fell off and I must have had a worried look on my face, or something, because he calmly reached over and picked up his leg, looked up at me and said "it's okay Coach Throp, the other kids have to stop and tie their shoes". That rings in my ears every day, if a 6 year old can handle what he did and does, with that kind of attitude, then I have absolutely nothing to complain about, period. Blake still has that outlook and is a wonderful ambassador for life. He also is one heck of an athlete.

Thank you for the nice words about Josef. Keep supporting the Tribe and please do introduce yourself.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk