Grissom runs

D15W

Saturday at the Last Man Standing tournament in Athens, Alabama Grissom's coach pulled his team out of the individuals because he saw that most of his wrestler's would be meeting Baylor in the finals. It was said that before Grissom would participate in the tourn. that they would have to be put in the opposite pool from Baylor. Why exactly did Grissom run from Baylor? It has also been said that Grissom's coach did not want his wrestler's to lose. So, he chose to pull his team out and leave. Does that make sense to anyone?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't sound like grissom. they show up every year on the left side at the blackhorse invitational. they haven't won it in a few years since brother martin of nola has been showing up but they never "run". and most of his wrestlers don't make the finals at the mustang ranch either.

They are saying that Grissom would not compete against Baylor in a tournament this past weekend, because the coaches were afraid to lose. Jim makes a good point. They consistently lose to Brother Martin at Blackhorse, but they keep coming back. Maybe they just had somewhere to be. It doesn't make much sense that they would worry about losing to Baylor. It's not like they have rankings on the line (maybe cracking the Honorable Mention list for the Southeast).

Grissom began running from McCallie and Father Ryan several years ago. If McCallie or Ryan were at a tournament, Grissom would not enter. This happened after several Grissom wrestlers were injuried in Memphis at a dual with Ryan. I don't know what the deal with McCallie is.

Bluebelly-

I've go lots of thoughts.....but unfortunately no facts on this one. :D

I'm as uncertain as to what happened, and why, as the next guy. I'm trying to find out too. I didn't even know they were there (it wasn't on their schedule) until I read last night and today about how "they ran from Baylor". I had been going to that tournament (formerly, "Battle of the South", now "Last Man Standing") until last year. The competition has dwindled as has my personal time/schedule to make it to that one. Baylor has always made a good showing there, but with the absences of Redemptorist (LA) this year, and in recent years Hartselle (AL) and Huntsville (AL), it just hasn't been the same. I had seen most schedules this year and wasn't expecting much (other than Baylor) to be there.

As far as Grissom, I don't know why they decided to leave. To be honest, I don't know why they went. From what I've seen/heard, it sounds like they jumped in at the last minute to get some mat time for their back-ups. I'm hearing that they did some subs through the pool duals and even weight-shuffled some of their starters. Sounds to me like they looked at it more like a scrimmage day or something.....other than a legit competitive tournament. (??) Again, I don't know --- just guessing. I know they wrestled a tough dual the Friday night before against Vestavia Hills (@ Vestavia Hills) without a couple of starters and got beat pretty handily. I'd further guess that Coach Dasaro was upset with their performance Friday night and Saturday (in pools) and packed them up to take them home and practice some more.

I called Athens High School and e-mailed Coach Greenhaw (Athens) to get me some info on it. Haven't heard back yet, but hope to. I can tell you that I've seen the list of teams there, and it doesn't look like Grissom's typical caliber. Two of the teams had less than 5 on roster. Two others had less than a dozen. Those 4 teams plus another have less experience and less coaching than Grissom's 3rd team. Just so we're clear, I'm not trying to defend Grissom or knock those other teams, but objectively speaking......we're talking about a team that traveled to the Black Horse in Memphis, to the Ryle Rumble in Kentucky, and to McEachern's Southeastern Duals in Georgia this season. I was shocked when I heard that they even showed up in Athens.

Not trying to change the subject, but to gauge the caliber of teams that were there --- how about Greenville (TN)? What are they like? They've been there the last few years, but I don't know much about them. Just curious.

I don't know if this helped shed light, or if it only clouded the view.......either way...it's all I got. :D