Sevier v. Heritage

scbballfreak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the coach from Heritage deserves some credit for stopping his team from belittling their win with an uncalled for celebration. From what I hear, he broke up a little rally over a championship mark on the floor and made his team apologize to Sevier Co. Heritage's team learned how to win on this night.

First off the heritage coach didnt stop anything. And the celebration ruined a very good win, for a very good heritage team. Did you even go to the game? You said you from what you hear, he stopped the little rally, uh uh, cait mcmahon decided she was done so they stopped, not because the coach wanted them to, i was there i saw. And ya heritage did learn how to win, just not the right way.

Edited by scbballfreak

Does anyone know about the behind the scenes. coach Howard stormed in the locker room threw a water bottle mad at his girls for not showing class. half the team started to cry led by mcmahan. mcmahan Volunteered to go to SC locker room to apologize. knowing the humiliation they would get from the SC fans they went to SC locker room LEAD by cait mcmahan to apologize to the team and coaches. it was even said she started to cry.

After things were all said and done Heritage came out of there locker room still crying. yes they made a mistake and they know that. but they had never beat SC on there home floor. i dont understand how mcmahan is cocky through all this when i've never seen her be cocky since i've started watching her play ball. . but everyone seems to leave out what happened behind the seens. CAIT IS A BALLER AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT!!! WHY CANT YALL JUST FACE THE FACT THAT SHE'S GOOD! AND SHE IS THE BEST PERSON OFF THE FLOOR TOO!!!!!She would never do anything to make her or her team look bad on purpose!!!!!

I played against Cait in middle school and I have to say that she is a class act. She may have made one mistake but she cant take that back. I mean it wasnt JUST Cait. You seem to forget the rest of the team was in on it as well. Just because she led her team to a 20 point beating on your home turf doesnt give you reason to blame it all on her. And by the way they were not "jumping" on the state emblem. They were on their knees with everyone holding hands...what they were saying...who knows? But even Sevier County's principal said thats what they were doing. There was no stomping. (Maybe jumping around after they won. Hey, I would do a little jumping if I beat Sevier Co.) And by the way, the Lady Mountaineers faxed the Bearettes a letter today apologizing. They have apologized...what more do you want? For them not to play their hardest just because they kicked your butt? Get over it. It's over...they apologized. LET GO OF IT!

i heard that mav, why if we would of beat Sevier Co. at Sevier Co. under the same circumstance i would have ran through the gym butt naked! lol :D

sounds like a bunch of crying to me, get over it.

back in 90's when we were ranked number 1 in the nation livingston beat us and they celebrated like it was 1999. then i think we cryed a little bit to.

It's real easy to go through life and do whatever you want and then when you realize you've offended someone or done something out of line, go back and appologize. That's not always class, often that is just guilt and the desire to save some face.

Making things right, going back to appologize, writing a letter of apology ... that's all very good and admirable stuff but it doesn't replace class and good sportsmanship in the truest sense of the word.

True class would dictate that although you've won a major game and have the right to celebrate, you: 1) don't do in on the other teams championship emblem; 2) you quickly break it up and then line up and shake hands with the other team--you can always celebrate some more after that. You're a coach and you've got a 20 point lead. It's not like you beat them with a buzzer beater. You've had plenty of time to pull your girls on the bench together and say, "Look, we're going to make sure and handle this right at the buzzer. You be sure you go over there and shake hands after the game. Then we'll celebrate." That's just one person's opinion.

Of course, true class would have also dictated that earlier in the year, with a 30+ point lead in the third quarter and 8 seconds remaining, you would leave your second team on the floor instead of reinserting your starters and running a special play to get off an three pointer at the buzzer. Heritage also failed on that account in their game against William Blount.

Edited by GovMan

I would just like to set the record straight because scbballfreak does not know what they are talking about. Sevier County sat in a 2-3 zone for about the first five trips down the court and then went to a man-to-man defense. The problem was that none of the Sevier County players could come close to guarding Cait and she was just putting on a clinic out there. Sevier County then went back and forth between the zone and the man defense but niether of them worked obviously. As far as the Heritage coach not stopping the celebration...that is just not true. He went to shake hands with coach Huskey and when he turned around and saw what was going on he was hot. He started yelling at them to get into the dressing room and then he made them go to the SC dressing room and apologize. What they did after the game was not bad but where they did it and when they did it was very inappropriate. I do apologize for scbballfreak and their crazy, biased, and down-right wrong tellings of what happened friday night. The Bearrettes were out played in every aspect of the game. However, not all of us Sevier county fans are bitter about the game, we just know we got out-played and hope it does not happen again. We are not all up here in Sevierville pointing fingers at refs and unclassy opponents in hopes of straying the readers from the fact that we got whipped.

I am close to Mav on this one. I think it is wrong to celebrate on the losers State Banner, but what do you expect? These kids imitate what they see on TV. Warren Sapp does it every game.

What Sevier Co did is TAUNTING not celebrating, but don't be hard on 16 year olds when adults (parents) are just as bad, if not worse!

I am probably more bothered by going into the other teams locker room. Wait until they come out, but DON'T interrupt another teams break down.

This post says a lot about how WE (coaches, fans, parents, players) view the "S" word, sportsmanship.

My thought is "act like you've been there before.'' Heritage has a BIG enemy in Sevier County and they will meet again.

Don't point fingers at these kids until your own house is in order.

Let’s set the record straight and then we can shut up about it.

Heritage didn’t stomp on the emblem they got on their knees and started smacking the insignia in disrespect. One of the older ladies sitting directly in front of the mockery said she saw one of the Heritage players spit on the emblem. It’s not like they were celebrating their sound victory and suddenly ended up on the emblem. It was planned long before the buzzer sounded. And it’s not that they shouldn’t enjoy their win. They deserved to enjoy it. But why would you degrade, not just a pile of paint with some words on it, but something that the S. C. players, School and whole Community are very proud and blessed to have? It was a great example of low or no class. The actions of the whole team (including the coach) gave the whole school a black eye.

A lot has changed with the character of the team since “Yogie” stepped down as head coach. The celebration on the emblem lasted for a good 30 seconds, and coach Howard had ample time to go over and stop the uncalled for act. The Heritage girl’s basketball team used to win and make you like it. Now they win and you wonder why we even played the game.

Please do not take me the wrong way. I am not a sore looser. And yes, Cait McMahan is one of the best players (on the court) that I have seen. The ones posting here who are not related to the situation can say were whining or crying or whatever, but that’s not the case.

NO ONE likes to be shown such deliberate disrespect, and what Heritage did was not what high school sports are about. Just like one of the Sevier County girls told the Heritage players, when they grinned and walked down the court to the Sevier County locker room, (hearsay) “Don’t apologize to me… If you’re really sorry you wouldn’t have done it to begin with.” TRUE. The funny thing is that more will be remembered by what Heritage did after the game instead of what they did during the game.

I feel better now. :D

Does anyone know about the behind the scenes. coach Howard stormed in the locker room threw a water bottle mad at his girls for not showing class. half the team started to cry led by mcmahan. mcmahan Volunteered to go to SC locker room to apologize. knowing the humiliation they would get from the SC fans they went to SC locker room LEAD by cait mcmahan to apologize to the team and coaches. it was even said she started to cry.

After things were all said and done Heritage came out of there locker room still crying. yes they made a mistake and they know that. but they had never beat SC on there home floor. i dont understand how mcmahan is cocky through all this when i've never seen her be cocky since i've started watching her play ball. . but everyone seems to leave out what happened behind the seens. CAIT IS A BALLER AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT!!! WHY CANT YALL JUST FACE THE FACT THAT SHE'S GOOD! AND SHE IS THE BEST PERSON OFF THE FLOOR TOO!!!!!She would never do anything to make her or her team look bad on purpose!!!!!

Saying they were so happy to beat sc on there home floor, bs. Sevier has only beaten heritage one other time at home in my four years of being there.

I would just like to set the record straight because scbballfreak does not know what they are talking about. Sevier County sat in a 2-3 zone for about the first five trips down the court and then went to a man-to-man defense. The problem was that none of the Sevier County players could come close to guarding Cait and she was just putting on a clinic out there. Sevier County then went back and forth between the zone and the man defense but niether of them worked obviously. As far as the Heritage coach not stopping the celebration...that is just not true. He went to shake hands with coach Huskey and when he turned around and saw what was going on he was hot. He started yelling at them to get into the dressing room and then he made them go to the SC dressing room and apologize. What they did after the game was not bad but where they did it and when they did it was very inappropriate. I do apologize for scbballfreak and their crazy, biased, and down-right wrong tellings of what happened friday night. The Bearrettes were out played in every aspect of the game. However, not all of us Sevier county fans are bitter about the game, we just know we got out-played and hope it does not happen again. We are not all up here in Sevierville pointing fingers at refs and unclassy opponents in hopes of straying the readers from the fact that we got whipped.

I'm sure you think you know what your talking about, to bad you don't. First off, if your talking about defense that was schs bears who was talking about that not me. And I saw what happend friday just like you did, and every has an interpretation of what happend, obvoiusly mine and yours are different. In the future before you badger someone make sure its the right one.