Multiplier stupid, check the stats

meyoumymy

The point of this thread is very nonrealistic!! Lets take a small 1-A public with 250 kids in the school. 125 of those being boys. Your drawing pool for sports is small. They will not be participation for the other sports such as golf, tennis, swimming, wrestling, etc. Alot of these sports overlap seasons and it would be next to impossible to find enough individuals to participate. Next lets look at financing. Some small school struggle to finance their major sports let alone minor sports that will generate very little revenue. Also with limited school enrollment you have limited teaching staff! Who will coach these sports. THe coaches on staff who are already coaching two -three sports in a lot of cases. It is tough in a small area to find volunteer coaches. The thing that urks me about this thread is not alot of thought was put into the topic. I mean alot of smaller schools would love to supply their kids with other opportunities but it is just not feasible. Some small 1A publics do not even have bands, I definitely know of 1, so minor sports are not an option. To answer the point of classification it is to level the playing field. There are years single A teams maybe able to compete with larger schools 2A and 3A but on a year in year out basis it won't happen. Talent pools and number of athletes will not equate out. I don't know why we discuss this topic though the TSSAA will do what they want no matter what that has already been proven by the split being voted down.

but the point still remains, why penalize a small private school that can offer more sports. A multiplier is not the answer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know except that (cynically speaking) the TSSAA saw an "opportunity" for more teams to participate in a playoff format with all of the attendant blessings that accrue.  Read into that whatever you will.

I am on record as wanting to do away with the playoffs altogether and let teams play up to eleven regular season games plus a bowl game.  IMHO, this would create more local interest and support from civic groups, businesses and other organizations.  Public schools that wanted to play private schools could and those that did not want to do so would not have to do so.  (I fear that this would hurt the small privates because few small publics would schedule them, but I still think this would be better in the long run.)

I have endorsed this idea before but I think there are a lot of people who wouldn't like it.

What? ELA and I agree?

Oh my! Next thing you know I'll be voting Democrat!

:D

The Split Decision article states that 60% of private school kids play sports, while only 30% public school kids play sports, and therefore a multiplier should be implemented. Why do so many more private school kids play sports?

This is another one of Nall`s stupid and worthless stats.

Let`s say a private school of 300 kids has 15 kids on the basketball team. That`s 5% of the school.

Now take a public school with 2000 kids. they`d have to allow 100 kids on the basketball team to have the same 5%. That`s unrealistic. There are basically only so many spots to fill on sports teams. Comparing the percentage of private schools to public schools is just dumb.

The Split Decision article states that 60% of private school kids play sports, while only 30% public school kids play sports, and therefore a multiplier should be implemented.  Why do so many more private school kids play sports?

Let`s say a private school of 300 kids has 15 kids on the basketball team. That`s 5% of the school.

Now take a public school with 2000 kids. they`d have to allow 100 kids on the basketball team to have the same 5%. That`s unrealistic. There are basically only so many spots to fill on sports teams. Comparing the percentage of private schools to public schools is just dumb.

Well duh?

Compare the 1A privates to the rest of the 1A teams and see what you get! That would be the stat that mattered.

The Split Decision article states that 60% of private school kids play sports, while only 30% public school kids play sports, and therefore a multiplier should be implemented. Why do so many more private school kids play sports? Well, duh, look at the stats....

Let's use Greenback's area (East TN) for an example since they're the ones whining. Between Greenback, Midway, and Cloudland, the average # of girls' and boys' sports offered is 6 per school. Now let's look at the private schools that could face these public schools. CAK, Boyd Buc, and Chat Christian offer an average of 15.4 sports per school. All 6 of these schools currently play Div I - 1A.

Well, why might twice the private school kids participate in sports, how bout because MORE THAN TWICE THE SPORTING OPPORTUNITIES ARE OFFERED! If all the 1-A PUBLICS offered swimming, tennis, golf, and track to name a few, I bet the percentage of kids that participate would increase.

I agree that often times the private schools can raise more money to add additional sports, but why should they be penalized by a multiplier for this??? They shouldn't. It's just not right to make the small privates (with maybe 300 kids) move up to 2A and get hammered by schools with 950 students. Remember, it's still about the kids, and just because a kid's parents decide to send him or her to a Christian school doesn't mean his team shouldn't be able to compete against a school their size. TSSAA needs to consider this in their decision.

But just think about the lesson they would get in humility, and the experience of playing tougher competition. Learning how to loose with dignity and honor.

VG, the closest examples of your comparison I can see are Ezell at 289 or Boyd at 305 vs Antioch at 1982 or Cordova at 2034. You're comparing 1A privates to some of the largest 5A schools. That is no comparison. I agree with beethoven, show us the comparison between the 1A privates and the 1A publics.

Columbia Academy(217) - Cloudland(219)

JCS(223) - Lake Co(224)

CAK or Friendship(249) -Huntland(253)

CPA(269) - McEwen(270)

FRA(283) - So. Fulton(288)

Boyd (305) - West Carroll(304)

Davidson Acad(324)- Collinwood(324)

DCA(335) - Perry Co (332)

Let's compare apples to apples, VG, not grapes to watermelons.

Edited by 1AMAN

1A man you are exactly right!! The point trying to be made was comparing schools with same size enrollment to each other. You can not compare JCS to Southside just as you could not compare Lake Co. to Southside. The bottom line is something is going to be done and some are going to be happy and others not. We can argue about this but the TSSAA will decide what they want to do and then they will do it. I felt and still feel the split was the best solution. Why not separate the two then classify both public and privates? Have small privates competing in a A,AA,AAA type classification then the publics in a same type classification?? To me it made sense but now who knows what we will end up with. I guess we will find out after Feb. 9th.

1A man you are exactly right!! The point trying to be made was comparing schools with same size enrollment to each other. You can not compare JCS to Southside just as you could not compare Lake Co. to Southside. The bottom line is something is going to be done and some are going to be happy and others not. We can argue about this but the TSSAA will decide what they want to do and then they will do it. I felt and still feel the split was the best solution. Why not separate the two then classify both public and privates? Have small privates competing in a A,AA,AAA type classification then the publics in a same type classification?? To me it made sense but now who knows what we will end up with. I guess we will find out after Feb. 9th.

Thank you, Dawg. You are right, the split should have happened. The multiplier is the next best solution. This Virginia/Z plan is just some smokescreen the T$$AA is throwing up to bambozzle everyone into thinking they are doing something about it.

I predict that Plan Z will pass, with no multiplier (or some insignificant one for urban areas which has very little effect on anything). Then the 1A publics will bolt.

The multipler and so-called Virginia plan are two separate things. The multipler can be voted in without the Virginia plan or visa-versa.

Also the Tennessee new football format is NOT the Virginia plan but a hybrid of many state associations and some new features that are only Tennessee invented.

The multipler and so-called Virginia plan are two separate things. The multipler can be voted in without the Virginia plan or visa-versa.

Also the Tennessee new football format is NOT the Virginia plan but a hybrid of many state associations and some new features that are only Tennessee invented.

So what. It's all just a smokescreen. There will be no significant multiplier, private or urban. The T$$AA does not care about the small publics. We should just leave and let the privates and the big boys fight it out among themselves.

VG, the closest examples of your comparison I can see are Ezell at 289 or Boyd at 305 vs Antioch at 1982 or Cordova at 2034. You're comparing 1A privates to some of the largest 5A schools. That is no comparison. I agree with beethoven, show us the comparison between the 1A privates and the 1A publics.

Columbia Academy(217) - Cloudland(219)

JCS(223) - Lake Co(224)

CAK or Friendship(249) -Huntland(253)

CPA(269) - McEwen(270)

FRA(283) - So. Fulton(288)

Boyd (305) - West Carroll(304)

Davidson Acad(324)- Collinwood(324)

DCA(335) - Perry Co (332)

Let's compare apples to apples, VG, not grapes to watermelons.

What did Nall`s stats include? In his statements in the article he just compared public and private. He made no distinctions that the public figures were only from 1A . He just gave public participation rates with no regard to class.