How is Science Hill?

Red81KPsmash

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our tournament schedule has been as follows. We opened in the Catholic Invitational. Cody was the champion there, defeating Moore of Baylor in the finals. We then went to the Mustang Stampede in Winston-Salem North Carolina.

It is an excruciatingly brutal tournament featuring Durham Riverside and some of the better teams from all the different classifications in NC. Cody was champion there, defeating a state placer from Riverside in the semis and Byron Sigmon of Bandys in the finals. He pinned him actually. I didn't know it until after the match but it was a big deal to several coaches there. Apparently the kid is one of the best in NC. It is a killer tournament and I'll go there as long as I'm still invited. We've been two years and loved it. The win got Ty some OW votes from some of the coaches there (Vincent Ramirez of Riverside won that-if you haven't seen this kid, you're missing out-he's the real deal). We then went to the Woodford County Kentucky tournament, a 24 team tournament which features some of the best in Kentucky. It is a tough tournament and allows me to see all my old friends from back in the day when I first started coaching. Cody pinned his way through that tournament, which wasn't really all that tough at 152. We then were a last minute entry in a small invitational at John Battle High in Bristol VA. We got in there when a dual meet with Owatonna, MN was snowed out. Cody pinned his way through there as well and was voted OW. Then we went to the GIT where Ty lost to Spencer Manley (who is an incredibly classy kid and a brawler after my own heart). He then won our tournament, the Scott Fandetti Brawl. The tournament is

held in memory of a wrestler of mine at Jeff County who died in a car wreck shortly after his 16th birthday. The weekend we have this is marked historically by bad weather and has turned into a sort of 11E/Interstate 81 tournament. The field has pretty much evolved based on who could get here as opposed to being a killer tournament. Still, it is very nice, has great pageantry, and helps us all remember a great kid who represented all the good things about this sport. Anyway, that is what SHHS and Cody have done.

I hope that no one is implying that we haven't wrestled anybody. That would be both not very nice and relatively inaccurate. Plus, it wouldn't be fair to Ty. Heck, we only had to drive 30 minutes to get trounced by Baylor and McCallie. A two hour drive to Knoxville to get creamed by Baylor and Parkview is a real bargain in my estimation. The reality is that NC is closer than Memphis or Nashville (and that Mustang Stampede...what a tournament!), I go to Kentucky for sentimental reasons, and the Fandetti is something I do for Scott Fandetti and his family. Hopefully we'll be making that six hour trip to Clarksville.

Or maybe it's that some of you out there would like to see us more often. That's really flattering. I'll honestly take that into consideration when I schedule next year. Really. I'm not being a wiseacre. I'm pondering some changes.

Edited by ArtusCimber