1-27

Munford and Bartlett tri at Millington

Collierville at Cordova

CBHS at Bolton

1-28

Germantown at Houston

1-29

Westside at Bolton

The interesting matches seem to be Germantown at Houston and Westside at Bolton. Can you give us your analysis of these?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, it's great to see more people getting on the site.

Munford/Bartlett/Millington-Munford has three possible region finalists. Johnson (103), Edgington (140), and Nutter (215) will be the ones to watch. Millington is having a bit of a down year. Lopez (103) is probably their best wrestler, along with the 130 and 215. All three of these kids were in the finals of the Freshman City Championships, so that may tell you something about this team. They have a bright future. I think everyone knows what to expect from Bartlett. They should win both duals easily.

Collierville/Cordova-Cordova did well at the JV championships. I have also heard whisperings that Williams might come back @ 135. He and Rogers would be the match to watch, if he makes it back. Otherwise, the 189 looks good and could give Faulkner a decent match. Stuart Allen at 275 is one of the most underrated wrestlers out here. He beat D2 ranked oponent Hooser of MUS at Bolton, and he has a very strong physical presense. He rarely makes mistakes. He should take it to Lindow. Collierville will win big, but there should be a few good matches.

CBHS/Bolton-Bolton is another team that is rebuilding this year. The top match should be Riddle v. Hannah at 135. Also, it will be interesting to see how Benefield does against Velasco at 160. There could be a good match at 125 between Riley Hannah and Burnette (sp?) Besides that, I don't see a whole lot of competition coming out of this one.

Germantown/Houston-This is the place to be on Wednesday night, if you're a wrestling fan. Yes, the rivalry transcends football. Wright v. Featherstone @ 130, Fryman v. Fleming @ 135, and Pecor v. Matthews @ 189. Will coach Holmes bump Borneman up to go at it with Sharp? Who knows, but this one has seeding implications for region duals.

Westside/Bolton-You can pretty much bet that Westside will put a lot of athletic kids on the mat, but will they have enough? Not too many good match ups here, but the final result also has some seeding implications. It could be a battle to see who can get the most pins.

Any way you cut it, this is a great week for wrestling in our region. I encourage you guys to come out and watch as many of these duals as you can, even if you aren't supporting either team. Just support the region and the sport. Anyway, I'm sure I will see you all at Collierville on Saturday. Good luck to all this week.

Germantown/Houston-This is the place to be on Wednesday night, if you're a wrestling fan. Yes, the rivalry transcends football. Wright v. Featherstone @ 130, Fryman v. Fleming @ 135, and Pecor v. Matthews @ 189. Will coach Holmes bump Borneman up to go at it with Sharp? Who knows, but this one has seeding implications for region duals.

Any way you cut it, this is a great week for wrestling in our region. I encourage you guys to come out and watch as many of these duals as you can, even if you aren't supporting either team. Just support the region and the sport. Anyway, I'm sure I will see you all at Collierville on Saturday. Good luck to all this week.

ah, the red princes o' darkness, with braintrust beelzebub and mini-bee, v. mustang, spirited by the lord o' the dark side and his columbian wrestling guru, at the mustang ranch. a classic battle between historically competitive left side powers. this one, as i always say, is about what weight class do you start at and odd/even. and the mustang did take the devil at the call o'the wild this season. the mustang ranch is definitely the place to be on hump day.

Edited by usfjim

Hey, it's great to see more people getting on the site.

Munford/Bartlett/Millington-Munford has three possible region finalists. Johnson (103), Edgington (140), and Nutter (215) will be the ones to watch. Millington is having a bit of a down year. Lopez (103) is probably their best wrestler, along with the 130 and 215. All three of these kids were in the finals of the Freshman City Championships, so that may tell you something about this team. They have a bright future. I think everyone knows what to expect from Bartlett. They should win both duals easily.

Collierville/Cordova-Cordova did well at the JV championships. I have also heard whisperings that Williams might come back @ 135. He and Rogers would be the match to watch, if he makes it back. Otherwise, the 189 looks good and could give Faulkner a decent match. Stuart Allen at 275 is one of the most underrated wrestlers out here. He beat D2 ranked oponent Hooser of MUS at Bolton, and he has a very strong physical presense. He rarely makes mistakes. He should take it to Lindow. Collierville will win big, but there should be a few good matches.

CBHS/Bolton-Bolton is another team that is rebuilding this year. The top match should be Riddle v. Hannah at 135. Also, it will be interesting to see how Benefield does against Velasco at 160. There could be a good match at 125 between Riley Hannah and Burnette (sp?) Besides that, I don't see a whole lot of competition coming out of this one.

Westside/Bolton-You can pretty much bet that Westside will put a lot of athletic kids on the mat, but will they have enough? Not too many good match ups here, but the final result also has some seeding implications. It could be a battle to see who can get the most pins.

cougar, panther, trojan matchup; agreed with your analysis.

dragon v. wolves; not much here and don't expect to see wolves 35 dominic until singles on valentines day.

brother v. wildcat; the two j's at 35 could be good, but other than that..........

double wildcats; district imps, as i hear it but, if the whistle spinmaster can field enough bodies, look for an upset by..........a wildcat.

and the dragon lair should be hopping next weekend!

Edited by usfjim

I'll have to get into the predictions in the morning, cerca 12:30. All this wrestling talk is making me very tired.

Allow me to make one insertion. As far as the CBHS/Bolton dual, watch for Josh Bourlan of Bolton at 171. He hasn't gotten a whole lot of attention, but I believe he has at least two tournament wins this year, one being the Bolton Inv. He might be able to give Simpson a good match...maybe even better than I am expecting.

Edited by best_of_the_west

Ridgeway and Bartlett went down to Jacksonville, FL for a big tournament this weekend.

Out of 30 teams, Ridgeway finished 4th, two points out of third, and Bartlett finished 7th, two points out of sixth. Each team finished with 6 placers. Notables were Uri Hansen (RWY 215) 1st, Chad Warren (RWY 125) 2nd, Caleb Chism (BAR 152) 2nd, Carl Taylor (RWY 275) 3rd, Zach Friedman (RWY 130) 4th, Ben Scott (RWY 140) 4th, Darius Williams (RWY 103) 5th, Chris Baker (BAR 119) 5th, Andy Bucak (BAR 145) 5th.

Edited by CoachBray

has anyone figured out if there is going to be extra tonnage allowed at the region duals this weekend? last year, i remember there was alot due to every team in the region catching up the last week. there were 71's wrestling @ 60; yea and 19's @ 03, 75's @ 89.............well maybe not that much, but quite a bit.

103-Barger (G) over Spencer by dec. 3-0

112-Smith (G) over Schmidt by pin 9-0

119-Groves (H) over Galindez by pin 9-6

125-Culvin (H) over Kennedy by dec. 9-9

130-Wright (H) over Featherstone by dec. 12-9

135-Fryman (H) over Fleming by dec. (both are out, will they be back?) 15-9

140-Barnett (G) over Mayhorn by pin 15-15

145-D. Sharp (G) over Cunningham by pin 21-15

152-Norwood (G) over Busey by pin 27-15

160-Borneman (H) over Geyer by pin 27-21

171-B. Sharp (G) over Grady by dec. 27-24

189-Matthews (H) over Dodson by pin 27-30

215-Pecor (G) over Autry by dec. 30-30

275-Burgan (G) over Rad by pin 36-30

Final score--Germantown over Houston 36-30

Now don't jump all over me just yet. Allow me to make my disclaimer. There will probably be all kinds of crazy bumping going on at this dual. This is just one of the outlandish options for each of the teams. I will say that the coaches may be the deciding factor in this one. Whoever bumps the best will end out on top. The matches to watch will be 103, 125, 171, 215, and 275. Last time, Rad pinned Parnell, which was probably the most crucial win. Also, Sharp pinned Grady, which is not likely to happen again. I would much rather see Sharp stay at 160 and wrestle Borneman. Houston has a pretty good freshman in the 140-145 range who first showed up at Ridgeway. Will he be back? I think he would have a pretty good shot at Sharp at 145. Any way you cut it, this one is set up to be a classic. There are way too many alternate line ups that come in to play. You guys can't really expect me to make an accurate prediction. Maybe Jim has something better, but you all need to come and see it for yourself. Hope to see you there, and good luck to both teams.

Edited by best_of_the_west