What's happened to the integrity of the sport?

BigJack

Are the coaches running their programs or not? I see players go up in the stands after getting taken out. I hear of players cussing their coaches out. I also, hear of players pushing their coaches aside. What is going on? Have the coaches lost their respect or are they just in to winning at all cost? :D

The coaches that let that happen are looking for a new job every few years. THe ones that dont are still coaching. ALso, kids have gotten more disrespectful, b/c mommy and daddy wont discipline so when the coach tries they wont listen. More times then not the problems come from poor parenting. THe kids with good parenting listen and are respectful.

It is neither, it is a problem with society. A society that allows kids to get away with acting like morons on and off the court, and a society that has coaches that allow it and both society and coaches make excuses for the way the kids act on the court. It is a problem with the world we live in not just sports, sports are mearly a reflection of those problems

Or.... add a weak AD (or other pertinent administrator) into the mix. It could be that the entire culture of the school allows for the overly-empowered parent who gets out of hand when Johnny isn't getting the PT that he "deserves".

Worst case scenarios have included those where parents of marginal players have also been school board members. Very successful and reputable coaches have been pushed out for less-than-professional reasons.

Or at the independent schools, often one sees the mentality that thinks that tuition paid equals the right for playing time. The reality is that it shouldn't guarantee a spot on the team.

Often (but by no means always,) the kid is more aware of his limitations than are his parents. It's how we handle our setbacks in life that makes us stronger and better able to hone in on our strengths that make us successful.

It is neither, it is a problem with society. A society that allows kids to get away with acting like morons on and off the court, and a society that has coaches that allow it and both society and coaches make excuses for the way the kids act on the court. It is a problem with the world we live in not just sports, sports are mearly a reflection of those problems

Beautiful!

its not just the parents... i agree with oldschoolball33... a parent cannot even discipline their own child nowadays by spanking them without someone calling the cops... I understand it if a kid gets beat unmercifully but if a parent cannot be a physical threat over kids then eventually they lose all fear of the parent when they realise that the worst a parent can do is yell at them and make threats... becuase if a parent cannot threaten to physically remove the child if they do not "leae the room, stop watching the television, get off the phone, etc." without the child then threatening to call the cops, the parent has then lost all power... and taking a child out of its environment and showing them that they can get away with anything as long as they are willing to sacrifice their own comfort, is not a good thing... society needs to learn to toughen up... I say kids today are soft, our parents, grandparents, and generations before did what they needed to do to discipline their children and you might say that society has done just fine over the past 2000 years or so... just my 2 cents... and i don't really care for any input cause this is the last time im dealing with this thread, and you don't need to waste your own time and breath arguing with someone who is not going to read what you have to say

Edited by stayNskool

Are the coaches running their programs or not?  I see players go up in the stands after getting taken out.  I hear of players cussing their coaches out.  I also, hear of players pushing their coaches aside.  What is going on?  Have the coaches lost their respect or are they just in to winning at all cost? :lol:

Where besides Glencliff is this taking place? I haven't witnessed any of this behavior except for Glencliff, who has always been out of control and uncoached. I've seen probably 20 other schools play, and ain't seen any of this stuff you mentioned. Please enlighten me on where this behavior has occurred.