Anderson County hits 18 threes...

chill

Anderson County hit 18 of 36 threes last night including 9 in the first quarter in a 85-47 win over Gibbs. AC was up 33-13 after the 1st. Wally Lowery was 2/5, Nick Humphrey was 2/3, Andrew Chaniott was 3/5, Bubba Rash was 3/6, Michael Mott was 4/7, and Shane Fox was 4 of 5 from behind the arc. Anderson County is now shooting around 37% for the year from 3 land as a team.......

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you give AC the inside they will kill you. They generate their 3's by penetrateing to the basket, then kicking out when the other team collapses. They look to go to the rack 1st, so if you give them the inside you will get burned, the best thing to do is play man to man, and dont collapse on Lowery when he penetrates. Also, you have to step up and take charges against Lowery, but you cant wait until underneath the basket, you have to get him around 5 feet away from the basket to draw the charge. Do this, and you might only lose by 10, not 30.

The only thing you can do to stop Anderson Co., is to hope they are having an off night. It isn't impossible because they have lost 6 games. They are the best shooting TEAM around but all good shooters have bad nights. They are kinda small and you should play man to man to defend against it. If a team puts forth a concerted effort on the defensive end and keeps the game in the 40s or 50s, they can win. On last nights performance, that was incredible and I hope they can keep it up, I enjoy watching them play. :unsure:

I know Eldridge can't shoot. Must be Wallace and Lollar making the difference. I say, play a tight 2-3 and dare them to shoot. See if they can hand it mentally when they are not just catching a pass off penetration and pulling with someone running at them. Have one of your guys tell them in warmups that you guys might shoot 70 3's tonight and we are not going to contest a single one of them. If they can handle the change, they win. If they can't, you win because they would not be able to get many offensive boards.

If you want to play a tight 2-3 and dare them to shoot, I'd say they would take it. Yeah we've lost 6 games but this is a different team since the Clinton game. Too many guys are in a groove right now, and these guys have no problem finding the hot hand and going to him. A great team performance against a pretty good Gibbs team. Oh, and how about the Nick Humphrey dunk in the first quarter? He may have to transfer to Clinton now.

A tight 2-3? I am seeing the 2-3 everywhere this year, do these new coaches not know another defense?

The 3 point line should have been the death blow to this defense. You have to play the perimeter. Is the Mav going around with his defensive play book to these summer coaching clinics?

The popularity of the 2-3 is on a comeback. With the institution of the 3 point line, many coaches deemed it necessary to play the perimeter. However, so many teams have a difficult time stopping penetration that they have to help with other guys which allows for an easy kick out for an automatic 3 or easy dump downs in the paint for layups. Furthermore, all you have to do in high school ball is drive hard to the hole and lean into guys and the referees call fouls on the defensive players so why not zone up.

Ask the best defensive coach around JODY WRIGHT about a 2-3. YOu might see it once in a blue moon. The 2-3 is a defense that Syracuse last year brought back with a vengeance, but High School athletes are not athletic enough to run the 2-3. YOu must be tall, block shots, and be quick to perfectly run a 2-3. If not the teams like AC will dump all over you. The difference between AC hitting thress and other teams, is other teams have 2-3 three point shooters. AC has 8, thats right 8, and doubt all 8 will have a off night the same night. So you better get your butt down and play some good hardnosed Man to Man.