Ocoee Middle School vs. Cleveland Middle

volntn

Any thoughts who will win this one? It is very impressive to see these two teams from the same city,playing for the State Large Middle School Championship.We all here are very proud of our young players,boys and girls,who constantly show that with only local kids,you win the state title year after year.OMS has won it the last two years,CMS may have the upperhand this year..But i also expect OMS to win it all again next year.No other Middle School teams really compare with what we have here in Cleveland. Good luck to both,to bad they cant split the title as niethier team deserves not to win.

Edited by volntn

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very impressive to see these two teams from the same city,playing for the State Large Middle School Championship.We all here are very proud of our young players,boys and girls,who constantly show that with only local kids,you win the state title year after year.OMS has won it the last two years,CMS may have the upperhand this year..But i also expect OMS to win it all again next year.No other Middle School teams really compare with what we have here in Cleveland. Good luck to both,to bad they cant split the title as niethier team deserves not to win.

You cannot have a "state champion" without a state tournament. The teams are playing for their sectional tournament championship just like other middle school teams across the state. As far as other middle schools comparing... maybe you should get out of Bradley county sometimes and see what else exists in the universe.

I don't understand this middle school tournament stuff. Isn't it all invitational tournaments? I know how good Cleveland MS is. Ocoee is not that strong this year but they were awesome the last two years. I would say Cleveland has to be in the top five middle schools in the state. Ocoee may be in the top 15 but not in the top five. Good luck to both teams. Cleveland trounced Ocoee in the TVAC league championship but Ocoee played them close one time in the regular season.

Edited by mtnman

To my understanding- You don't have to beat anybody to get into the "games, tournament" whatever you wanna call it. Whoever wants to go just goes, could be anybody- but of course once you are there, you have to keep winning to stay! So, State Championship it is not, but a well deserved honor- IT IS! ( I think)- I might be totally wrong! <_<

Edited by peacemaker

The TMSSA (Middle School Branch of TSSAA) should really look into setting up state tournaments. I know that there are alot of jr. high schools out there but only some pay to play in the TMSSA. They already have regions set up for the teams. Why not divide those out into districts and then go from there. It could be very similar to high school with instead of (A,AA,AAA) classifications they could still do the small school/large school thing.. However, if they did this it would almost guarantee to put the TNT State Tournament out of business. Its just an idea; one that I can't believe that the TSSAA hasn't done already considering how much more money they would make.

To my understanding- It is an invitational- meaning just that, you are invited. You don't have to beat anybody to get to the "games, tournament" whatever you wanna call it. Whoever wants to go just goes, could be anybody- but of course once you are there, you have to keep winning to stay! So, State Championship it is not, but a well deserved honor- IT IS! ( I think)- I might be totally wrong! <_<

The TMSAA sectional is not an invitational tournament. Teams must be TSSAA member schools, which does eliminate non-member schools, but is is a qualification tournament. You must advance, as one of two teams, from your area/conference tournament. The James C Haile, TNT, is, I think, an invitational. Anyone can play, you gotta win to advance - but not to get in.

Cleveland Middle beat Ocoee Middle 52-31. Cleveland looked very strong today. Congradulations to both teams on advancing to the finals. It speaks very highly for the amount of talent in Bradley county.

Wow, can you imagine if all the talent from the three middle schools in Bradley county went to a single High School like in some areas of the state. Even though there are three high schools (Bradley, Walker Valley, & Cleveland), all three are making strong showings. Keep up the good work.

I took T.A. Dugger(Elizabethton) to the middle school girl's team camp at Oak Ridge this past summer. We went 6-3 against some really tough competition, but Cleveland Middle was clearly the class of the camp. They beat us 44-22 or something close to that, and I think we played them as close as anyone at the camp. They had size,speed, and skill and won most of their games by 40+ points. Greeneville Middle and Vance Middle(Bristol) are East Tennessee's best teams and they might give Cleveland a good game. Not knowing the rest of the state, I would have to say that Cleveland is one of the best middle school teams I have seen in my 11 years as a coach, and could be the state's best.