Duals strategy

texas23

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, also, Bradley sent out a freshman against one of the best talents in the sport today in Kyle James. As good as that freshman was, Kyle is the man. He still went out and gave the effort to beat that excellent talent from Soddy.

Freshman up dates...

From what I saw, Creagan may be one of the best in the state at 125 and as a freshman took James down (perhaps the only one to do that?) ...then nearly put him on his back as time ran out in the first or second period.

Guess what, Felix showed that he could be the best freshaman in the state by beating Creagan earlier that day. Now, BC's 152 (Spain) may actually be the strongest 152 and take it all. He's also a fresman.

soms

texas, I won't get into the mix of trying to guess the reason for Coach Henry's decision, whether it was a call out of necessity or whether it was a judgement call. His coaching has taught me to give his decisions my full confidence.

Although I understand the point you are making with the Dan Gable match, and I don't mean this to be picky, but I have to take except that the match and the history leading up to the match are analogous to a decision based on the circumstance described in this thread. Larry Owings was not just a guy that was put in a line-up to keep hope alive. Larry Owings came down from a higher weight class for the expressed purpose of stopping Gable. Mission was accomplished. My best guess is that Soddy did not have a wrestler available on the bench whose preparation had been dedicated to the singular purpose of beating Gibson.

Edited by delaWarr

Texas,

You surprise me. You are stating that you mean no disrespect to Coach Henry. However, you are questioning his judgement - which in my opinion is disrespectful for several reasons:

1) He competes to win - check his record and evaluate the kids he produces.

2) He makes decisions based on what is in the best interest of his team just like every coach in this state. We may not agree with every decision, but we should not question their motives for doing so.

3) He spends a lot more time with his kids than you or I do, and therefore is better able to assess their capibilities than you or I are.

I also find fault in your Dan Gable comparison. That was the NCAA finals. Those were the best two kids in the country battling it out. And here is a little history lesson for you - Larry Owings' only desire in college was to beat Gable. It is well documented in Gable's biography. (You should read it - it is really good.) That was the only thing that motivated him. Guess how many titles he won after he upset Gable his sophmore year - zero. So, comparing a JV kid from Soddy to Owings is not a good comparison, although I do understand your point - it only takes 2 seconds to win a match. "There were never a horse that couldn't be rode, nor a man that couldn't be throw'd." I know all the cliches...... And they are true.

Look, your arm-chair quarterback question is interesting and should generate some discussion. But don't be so persistant and harsh. Don't question Henry's motives and imply that he didn't want to win the match - that is a crazy idea. He did what was in the best interest of his kids and really doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

Please just let it go.....

P.S. I'm not a Soddy graduate or parent. Just a big fan of the sport who happens to appreciate the tough decisions that coaches have to make.

tilt43, Thank you. Our responses seemed to follow a parallel stream of thought and reaction. I, too, have been known to be wordy. And had I read your post first, or at least followed my instincts and looked it up like I did the last time I referred to the Gable match, I wouldn't have had to go back to my post and edit the spelling of Owings.

By the way, I did hear a very brief follow-up on some of the rest of Owings' life story.

Edited by delaWarr

Texas,

You surprise me.  You are stating that you mean no disrespect to Coach Henry.  However, you are questioning his judgement - which in my opinion is disrespectful for several reasons:

1)  He competes to win - check his record and evaluate the kids he produces.

2)  He makes decisions based on what is in the best interest of his team just like every coach in this state.  We may not agree with every decision, but we should not question their motives for doing so. 

3)  He spends a lot more time with his kids than you or I do, and therefore is better able to assess their capibilities than you or I are.

I also find fault in your Dan Gable comparison.  That was the NCAA finals.  Those were the best two kids in the country battling it out.  And here is a little history lesson for you - Larry Owings' only desire in college was to beat Gable.  It is well documented in Gable's biography.  (You should read it - it is really good.)  That was the only thing that motivated him.  Guess how many titles he won after he upset Gable his sophmore year - zero.  So, comparing a JV kid from Soddy to Owings is not a good comparison, although I do understand your point - it only takes 2 seconds to win a match.  "There were never a horse that couldn't be rode, nor a man that couldn't be throw'd."  I know all the cliches......  And they are true.

Look, your arm-chair quarterback question is interesting and should generate some discussion.  But don't be so persistant and harsh.  Don't question Henry's motives and imply that he didn't want to win the match - that is a crazy idea.  He did what was in the best interest of his kids and really doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

Please just let it go.....

P.S.  I'm not a Soddy graduate or parent.  Just a big fan of the sport who happens to appreciate the tough decisions that coaches have to make.

Okay, delaWarr and Tilt43,

good morning fellas. I see you have been composing and I have read and considered your points. Good job by the way.

delaWarr,

If you will read what I have posted on this thread you will see that I am not questioning Coach Henry's decision. I am wondering and trying to understand the decision. I even noted in another post of mine that Coach Henry probably has an excellent reason for his call, I have given him his due as a Coach without being ugly and without an all knowing attitude with my questions.

On the Dan Gable example that I gave, the point was not the preparation with Larry, it was that he went out against an outstanding wrestler that most informed people would say that he did not have a chance against. He had to wrestle Dan to prove that he did have a chance, otherwise no chance.

Tilt43,

I brought your quote forward because you numbered your issues.

my comments are numbered below in synch with your issues:

1. I agree completly.

2. I agree he makes decisions based on what is best for the team, I disagree that we should not question their motives, why not? I just want to understand, that's all.

3. My point exactly. That is why I am asking the question, someone way closer to the decsion than me could shed the light on it. I am not the person to answer it for sure.

Now, for the Dan Gable thing again, I gave that example along with four other ones. You should read my post (you should read it - it's really good). Anyway, I gave examples that were even better for the situation that generated this thread.

You also help make my point for my by telling how many more titles Owings won after beating Gable. Gabel beats that guy 99 times out of 100. But not on that day.

If I am harsh, then I apoligize. If I am persistent, too bad.

And lastly, and do not be offended, it really does not matter if you are from Soddy or not, I would still appreciate any comments you have regarding this thread.

Edited by texas23

2) He makes decisions based on what is in the best interest of his team just like every coach in this state. We may not agree with every decision, but we should not question their motives for doing so.

2. I agree he makes decisions based on what is best for the team, I disagree that we should not question their motives, why not? I just want to understand, that's all.

Tex - you are right on track. Ask a legitimate question about any program or policy and you are promptly attacked for questioning "coach God" or your credentials are challenged "who are you to question, have you every coached, officiated, won championships, etc, etc". The number one rule in debating is when you can't address the facts, attack the person.

Cobrakid had the answer, they didn't have anybody. Some of you folks still don't understand that there are a handfull of wrestlers like Quinn against which 75% of the varsity guys stand absolutely no chance and 100% of the jv guys have no chance. When Spain came through at 52 and Campbell was out at 89, match was over, done, finished.

I also find fault in your Dan Gable comparison.  That was the NCAA finals.  Those were the best two kids in the country battling it out.  And here is a little history lesson for you - Larry Owings' only desire in college was to beat Gable.  It is well documented in Gable's biography.  (You should read it - it is really good.)  That was the only thing that motivated him. 

You also help make my point for my by telling how many more titles Owings won after beating Gable.  Gabel beats that guy 99 times out of 100.  But not on that day.

Guys, watch Miracle, it was great!! I think a movie on Gable would be great as well.

Coach Henry is as good as you can get!! I'm a fan of both Steve's north of Chatt-town. I'm glad to see one going out on top of the wrestling world in order to be a winner with his family as well*, and the other Steve staying a while longer to keep his squad a top contender. Congrats to both of these fine human beings!!

soms

*"No other success can compensate for failure in the home"

David O. McKay

Edited by Sommers

Walkenvol,

I am okay with that answer. However, BayouBear stated in a post that there was a guy weighed in at 160 (jv).

I disagree with the comment that they stand absolutly no chance. They stand no chance if they do not try.

I will agree that if I were in Las Vegas that I would not put money on the jv guy to win. But that is why they wrestle the matches and not just mail them in.