Lexington over Union City in Class AA Poll ?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

After speaking with many of the voting members of the AP last week...I discovered that most do not do their homework nor do they care to do so. Plus, they vote for whomever they cover on a daily basis. That's the easy way out.

In fairness to some, many are asked to cover a wide range of sports (high school, college, pros) and have not the time...and there are some who take the time to research the teams and give forth an accurate poll.

But, many who should be voting push off the chore to an assistant who does not attend any games.

The poll has become one that is not necessarily a true reflection of top teams in the state. But one of the favorites of the people who pen stories for the newspapers or call the games on the radio.

Lexington lost to Union City 90-86 on November 20th in Hall Of Fame game at Trenton Peabody and to Union City 70-65 on November 29th at Lexington Thanksgiving Intivational.

Teams can elect not to count the Hall Of Fame games because they are before the season actually starts according to the TSSAA.

But, most of the west Tennessee media and fans feel that if the teams put on their game uniforms and people paid at the door, then the game counts.

Jumpshot, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for why Bolivar dropped to #2 and Giles County moved to #1. The poll even has Raleigh Egypt as 19-3 which is not true and has Kingsbury as 18-1 which is also not true. Raleigh Egypt beat Kingsbury twice this year already. Do you find it interesting no sports writers from Memphis are included in the polls? Besides the Jackson Sun the AP poll is basically a middle and east Tennessee dominant poll.

Jumpshot, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for why Bolivar dropped to #2 and Giles County moved to #1. The poll even has Raleigh Egypt as 19-3 which is not true and has Kingsbury as 18-1 which is also not true. Raleigh Egypt beat Kingsbury twice this year already. Do you find it interesting no sports writers from Memphis are included in the polls? Besides the Jackson Sun the AP poll is basically a middle and east Tennessee dominant poll.

The Jackson Sun is the only print media from West Tennessee that votes in the poll but there are at least three of us from broadcast media that vote and I can assure you WCMT continued to vote Bolivar #1.

The games at Trenton didn't couldn't count because that would put us over our limit of number of games played. We have lost 4 games. Two to Chester County and one to UC and the other one was last night Vs. Southside.

The TSSAA has stated that teams that play in the pre-season Hall Of Fame games do not count toward the 26 allowed per regular season...mainly because a certain percentage of the gate is going to the TSSAA Hall Of Fame. But, I believe they should count on the overall record because they were played before a paying audience. Most schools I know count them - win or lose.

i.e.: Gibson County girls are 26-0 with 2 games left. That's 2 over the 26 allowed.

Obion County Central girls are 20-7 with 1 left.

Lake County girls are 17-12 at last report with 1 left.