TSSAA--Are You Listening?

salty

TSSAA has a staff of around four that sometimes look into "recruiting" of athletes in middle and high school -- this staff also have full time jobs doing regular TSSAA business. So you have a potential staff of 4 for 600 schools and around 100,000 athletes. In contrast, the NCAA has a staff of around 250 that does investigations of less than 200 Division I schools.

How do you propose that the TSSAA handle recruiting accusations? If they staffed up for this then the membership would cry foul when fees and tournament expenses are increased to pay for them.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Chattcity,

You have obviously never been around Memphis Basketball.

Chattcity was being sarcastic. Now, somebody tell me why private schools are the ones being ostracized from competition. Many public schools may very well be guilty of the very acts of which they baselessly accuse the privates. Could it be the desire for less competition? NOOO, God forbid!

Anyway, my statements here probably belong on the Public/Private Board, but I felt like responding here anyway since Memphis public schools may after all be pretty underhanded when it comes to harnessing Shelby County's rising talent. It'll be interesting to see how this story develops, and even more intriguing to observe the TSSAA's reaction to the events that unfold. Is there a double standard between public and private schools? We may soon find out.

I understand TSSAA cannot investigate every rumor, innuendo, or bit of hearsay info.

Here we have direct quotes in a major newspaper from people who would be easy to find to ask them the tough questions. "Who said......what school.....who offered money....?"

Failure to follow up on this story would send the clear message that TSSAA feels that it really does not matter.

This is the downside of having open school policy.

Good idea, bad execution. I dont have facts per se, but the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Memphis has had an unfair advantage over the rest of the state for sometime. This isnt a Memphis only problem however. The TSSAA is a lot like the NCAA, hear no evil see no evil.