Division 1 Finalists/Predictions

SPED

If ever there was a reason for getting rid of the blind draw, that's it. Look at the group of 4 at the bottom of the 119 bracket. It includes Cordell (3 time finalist/2 time champion), Speroff (returning placer), and Fuller (defeated Ibrahim and ranked in state). This is the worst draw ever for Speroff, especially for Speroff and Fuller. I think Fuller might have placed 2nd, but the finals match is in the 2nd round. Speroff would have had a shot at placing, but he (a returning medalist) doesn't even get carried. It's the same with the whole bottom half of the Heavyweight bracket. Most of the talent is on the bottom, so a few kids that might have had a shot won't be able to place. I'm not complaining or anything, just pointing out how bad some of the draws were.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Current matchup system indiscriminately short changes some of the boys.

It would be better to spend the extra time and money to have a full double elimination tournament. The boys would then have at least two matches at the state meet. Under current system, you could drive from Memphis for a single Thursday night match. Kind of a letdown after a full season of double elimination tournies.

Wonder how much more time would be needed to conduct a double elimination?

As for borneman he had a rough time winning his region it seemed from the 3-1 score i heard and if that is not right would someone let me know.  Borneman did beat Gessler earlier this year at Ryan with a fluke head throw. 

There have been a lot of wrestlers who "came very close" to beating Borneman. When judging him as a wrestler, you can't look at the scores, or how long Borneman was "on his back." He just wins. I respect him for being a wrestler that is so hard to beat, no matter how good you look against him.

Borneman is a very good wrestler. Everytime I see him I an impressed by the fact that he wins. And I don't mean this in a bad way. He doesn't kill his competition often but he always manages to win. I look for him to bring the championship home. As far as what he did at regionals: 152 is a very very competitive weigth class in the West. You have Bornmen of Houson he defeated Chism of Bartlett to win the region. I think Chism is highly underrated and will do great things at state this year. Then there is Billy West of Collierville who lost to Chism in the semis in another close match. Then if you look at DII you have Nick Marable of Christian Brothers and noone needs a list of what he has done and Jeff Mullins of Saint Benedict who has defeated West twice maybe three times,all very close matches, and lost to Chism in two close matches. If I were anyone at state I would not judge the competition from West Tennessee by the regional scores, it is just a tough division.

First of all at 103 its going to be shelton(kenwood) over puckett(gibbs) i dont care what anybody says in 189 its going to be pease(clarksville) and if Baker(kenwood) goes he will make it to the finals and bundy at 112 is going to make it theres going to be alot of suprises this year and the 112 weight class will be the best to watch.

I think Gessler (Tullahoma) will give Ty Cody (Science Hill) all he wants in the semi-finals. Who knows maybe we will have a re-match between Borneman (Houston) and Gessler (Tullahoma).

Others to watch in 152

Johnson (Rossview)

Ross (Brentwood)

Chism (Bartlett)

Hebda (Clarksville)

Espinoza (Kenwood)

Spain (Bradley Central)

I think Turner (Farragut) is very over-rated and will not fair well in the tournament.

Turner was obviously not too overrated.

Turner may be 152 runner-up but he was/is over-rated. I will give Chad credit he had a great tournament and wrestled very well when he had to, but the few times I saw him this season he didn't looked very sound. He beat Borneman in a match where I saw Luke puke 2-3 times and didn't look his best. Chad also is majored in the finals by Cody (Science Hill) who in my opinion is a great kid and a better wrestler. Regardless what you might think Mountain he is not deserving of his runner-up crown, but he got the medal and thats what counts. I will say Farragut had a great tournament this year, and I am glad to see Dix win it after seeing him work so hard for so many years.