A State-Bound Wrestler Gets Royally Screwed

sportsfan42

Hay, I feel for the kid. But you think he is the only one ever got shafted because a coach screwed up. I know of a case in Region 1, a few years ago, a kid certified at one weight and then the coach move him up a weight class but did not get him re-certified. So he was not able to wrestle in the region tournament , It was not found out until the coach's meeting at the tournament to late to call TSSAA. The coaches voted on it and he did not get to wrestle. In this case all the coaches had a hand in it . IT WAS NOT THE KIDS FAULT. THIS WAS NOT TSSAA's FAULT EITHER. POINT IS SOMEONE ALWAYS GETS THE SHAFT WHEN SOMEONE ELSE SCREWS UP. I WISH THE KID WELL.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that its way beyond a shame it is a travisty.if the tssaa cant tell the difference between player error and something that is known to be anissue that was totally due to the coach"s lack of duty then that brings shame to us all

i mean im a 2 time state qualifer and i think about all the hard work that i put into that it just makes me sick for the guy. why dont we try something new like common sense let the guy wrestle. wrestlers unite keep a good thought

Nobody is really complaining here Pikmin...they are merely sympathizing for the kid. Who are you to censure what say in here or not? Besides, there is a difference between you and the Riverdale kid. He had no control over his situation, while in your case, your failure to wear headgear, and then your failure to take care of your matburn(or whatever it was) by cleaning it to keep it from getting infected, it was caused your demise. If you don't like people complaining, then hey, don't read this thread!

a. the initial mat burn happened during a match, it slid back, i took care of it, i put neosporin and jazz on it everynight, it scabbed over and locked the infection in, which cause it to get worsewhen the scab ripped, the infection spread and thier was nothing i could do

it was the fault of a coach/ref that allowed a kid with a cold sore to wrestle...

i mean ya his situation stinks, but rules shouldnt be changed on an individual basis

Rules shouldn't be CHANGED on individual purposes. He wasn't asking for a rule CHANGE. He was asking for TSSAA to take a look at the situation, and come to the decision that the kid had nothing to do with it. I mean, it's just a peice of paper, why couldn't they have filled it out right then? The coach is obviously at fault, not the kid. And, if TSSAA can't see this, or refuses to look at this situation, what good are they? TSSAA's job is to set rules, enforce rules, have certified referees, and evaluate special situations. Am I wrong?

And by the way, these are two TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SITUATIONS!!!! An unhealthy infection and an unfilled-out peice of paper. Big difference. You were contagious. He was screwed. Yeah, i mean, it stinks for you that you didn't get to go, that's for sure, and yes, you should've been able to wrestle with it covered. But, this IS a different situation, there is no doubt about it.

Edited by sportsfan42

Dude our situations are/were way different. You got disease. I wasn't contagious or anything. I just went to a different school than i wrestled for because my school doesn't offer it. My coach lied to me and said he sent in the eligiblity forms and he didnt. you just got a disease which is not acceptable to be on the mat and it is unsafe. How was i unsafe or anything. All i wanted to do was wrestle in the state tournoment.

Don't forget that it isn't always the kids who get penalized for a coaches mistake. The coach at Lipscomb got kicked out of the region tournament, fined and suspended for the first two days of the state tourney because two of his wrestlers showed up at the mat without tape on their shoelaces. Talk about penalizing the wrong person! By this rule, any kid who doesn't like his coach can show up twice without his laces taped and get his coached fined and suspended!! How much sense does that make?

SOMS - I thought I remembered something strange happening with Riverdale last year. Your comment confirms that there was something wrong. 2 years in a row - is it the same coach? It's one thing if it is a new coach and he forgot to do something, but it's totally different if it is a seasoned coach.

Good coaches are hard to come by and when you think you got one, sometimes you are wrong. But if you know me, when I end up with limes, I make margaritas!

And Great ones at that....Corona makes em great!