Lewis County Basketball

fadeaway

I cant say that I know much about this topic but I have seen the Jr High groups play before. i was able to attend the Section Tournament in Murfreesboro last week, and I remembered some of the girls and boys from my experience with AAU tournaments in Coffee and Bedford Counties. The boys team had a group of young coaches that I would be suprised would leave, maybe one, but the whole group? Unless they were moving up. But, from what I have read, the high school there is strong. The girls were very athletic, but, from what I was told by some parents, loaded with 8th grade girls. But, why would a coach leave from the success? I cant say that I know anything much about Lewis County, but I know the AAU teams have been extremely well coached for the past couple to three years, and have given all-star teams problems at tournaments. The 14-U and 12-U girls coaches were great and very personable young men, either of which, if still in the area, would be successful. Hopefully the rumors about coaches stepping down isnt true, the programs seem to be feeding the high school there some talent. Good luck and hope to see some of you in Tullahoma this spring, you always bring a great crowd.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As strength said anyone on the list would make good coaches because nearly all of them are or have coached basketball on some level before. It looks like the real people who may take the job are Broadway who helped out this year, McKissack who has a daughter playing if she's not in the 8th grade, Lawson LCHS girls assistant, Cox LCHS boys assistant, or Lee's daughter Krystal Hinson. Who knows, have any of these people even thought about taking the job?

Knight, I have heard all the rumors about the basketball programs as you have heard. It seems that no one knows anything for sure, so the best thing for all of us to do is wait it out and see. Plus, one thing that people need to remember is that at the middle school level, you don't usually hire 'just a coach'. There will need to be a job to go along with the coaching position. I do know of a few people who are anxious about the final decision about the coaching position. Guess we will all know in good time. You have any opinions about it? What do you think about the rumors of the 4-Horsemen leaving?

BusterJr, you must be crazy to put Slatten's name in on this job. By the way, it is Slatten, not Slatton. He has transitioned to a bigger school and is now settled with a family. He also has no desire or experience to mess with the middle school age. Since there seems to be plenty of help with the boys team, why not break the wolf pack up and let some of the guys help coach the girls. All you would need is a female head coach, then you could have a man assist. Any thoughts about that possibility? Would any of the men on the boys coaching staff be interested in changing to girls?

It is really appropriate to encourage men to coach middle school girls? For that matter, what was the comment about getting a woman coach and let a man help her. Sounds like you guys are asking for trouble. We had a little of it come our way a few years past, its all cleared up now. Good luck to the future coaches! (if there are even positions available, you can't believe all you read on here)

Stepback-that was the stupidest thing I have read in a while! Why on earth couldn't men and women work together? I'm not sure what happens wherever you are from, but we are more than capable to have men and women working together and keeping a professional relationship in Lewis County. As for men not coaching girls, it just doesn't need to be given to any man, but a real man shouldn't have any trouble coaching female sports!

Let's get back on topic. I have heard numerous reports that the 4 horseman are planning on resigning at there athletic banquet. Rumors are the Horsemen plan on adding an additional member ( H.Spears) and taking there show up the road to a struggling Columbia Central. So I guess the big question is...is there any truth to these rumors. Will the 4 Horsemen become the Fab Five.

Well Ike I assume that you must be a man because a women wouldn't make that kind of remark. The only other thing I have to say is that I hope that if you do have children that you have ALL girls who play EVERY sport possible. You might grow to eat those words about female athletics!

Edited by Hoopngal

Strenght - This is an old high school friend that is now in Houston. How are things going up there at Witthorne? Heard a lot about you when you were at NCS but havent heard much since you moved closer to H-town. I am coaching a team that is about to play in the state tourney down here in Houston.

As far as men being able to coach women, I think that if a man keeps as professional attitude there is nothing wrong with it. I would say that it would be easier if a woman was there to assist or even head coach and the man be the assistant. Those coaches that Lewis County has are great coaches that have done wonders with that program. I firmly believe that the high school success is where it is because of the coaches at the middle school level. Whatever they decide to do, I wish them the best and thank them as a former Lewis Countian for what they have done for the program and the many players that have come through their program.