Hixson to be reported to TSSAA

DelTavian

I was at the Walker Valley game and it was not a black/white issue it started at half time of the girls game when the boys teams were warming up. Hixson was on one end of the court and the girls came back out so they went to the other end and disrupted the Walker Valley's boy's warm up. Then some of the Walker boys took some balls back to the locker room and Hixson's coach first sent some players who were joined by some students into Walkers dressing room, then one of Hixson's coaches went in also words were exchanged and coach Moore of Walker Valley calmed it down. Then during the game a policeman was directing Walkers students about something and an older black man and some kids started arguing with Walkers students, the police officer stepped in and calmed them down and the older man started again, this time the officer positioned himself between the two sections and things calmed again, as the game came to a close the elder man got up to leave and was motioning for one of Walker's students to come out side. From where I was it looked like he was threating them in some fashion ( which I believe used to be against the law if minors are involved ) again the officer had to step in and calm things down. Some more things went on but I just got one side of the story so I won't comment on them. This night the officer did an excellent job. Both cheering sections were loud and the game was actually pretty good, it was a heated and charged atmosphere, but I have seen much worse in other local places.

Edited by tophat

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sitting next to Hixson's student section during the Grundy County game. Yes, they were loud, rude, and obnoxious - as student sections tend to be. However, Grundy's coach didn't seem to have a problem with it - he was actually egging some of them on and laughing with them. For isntance, when a Grundy player would do something good, he would turn to the crowd and say "gotta give him props". He realized that heckling is part of the game. In the beginnnig, it was all in good fun. When the plastic ball came out of the stands from Hixson'S student section, the game was stopped. The referees talked to both coaches. Dr. Swafford, Hixson's principal, came and sat in the middle of the student section (to dispute the claim that "he did nothing"). Coach Eller, the boys head coach, made an announcement on the PA system that if anything else was thrown on the floor, the game would become a forfeit. With about 52 seconds to go, a call from an official (which were equally bad in both the girls & boys games!) went against Grundy County. That's when a GRUNDY fan threw a water bottle on the floor, then another GRUNDY fan threw fruit on the floor, and the game was called. The school resource officer stepped in the middle of the court and tried to diffuse the situation. When he realized he couldn't handle it by himself, he called backup. (I think there were a total of 3 police cars that showed up.) As for what happened outside, I'm not going to say because I WASN'T THERE. I'm sure there are going to be lots of different scenarious, but I feel that if Hixson gets reported, so should Grundy. They were not as innocent as the first post made them sound.

sad sad sad....needs to be some serious disciplinary actions taken on whoever threw things on the court. and as for the coach who was just talking with the crowd, never ever as a coach communicate with the opposing teams fans only leads to worse things, keep your mouth shut and coach your team not the fans.

Edited by westtnbb

Some of the statements on this topic have been ridiculous..I was at the basketball game and saw everything..First of all the Grundy County coach was playing and antagonizing the rowdy Hixson section..with not much time left Toby Woodlee of Grundy County accidentally tackled Hixson's Josh Green..One little hollow toy ball the cheerleaders threw out to the fans was thrown on the court...The game was stopped for about 5 minutes..The Grundy coach yelled at the student section..The priniciple moved into the center of them and Hixsons coach made an announcement that any more balls thrown on the court would end the game...With 57 seconds left and Hixson up double digits, a foul was called on Grundy County and 2 plastic bottles were thrown on the court by the Grundy County side..The game was immediately called and more and more Grundy fans threw bottles..Both teams went to their locker rooms and it was over...After the games the students go outside and wait on the Hixson team..The principal and a policemen were outside when the Grundy parents and their few fans that traveled came outside and yelled and were the only side that made physical contact with the other side..No Hixson fan ever touched a Grundy County fan..Grundy players fathers pushed and harassed Hixsons fan section leader an yelled at many others when more students came over and the policemen and principal broke it up...The policemen then called for backup as a precaution to more of this...There were NO knifes drawn..The posts on here have been ludacris..Hixson has 3 black players and only a 20% black student base so I dont understand how someone could say this was a racial thing.....If this ever is reported to TSSAA(which it wont be) itll be laughed at..And to clear up the Walker Valley incident..At halftime of the girls game the boys teams warmed up on their respective sides until Walkers girls came out then they warmed up on the same side of the court..Walkers Boys didnt want to do this so they took 9 of Hixsons balls and went to their locker room..That didnt leave Hixson hardly any so he told a few of his players to go get the balls ..they tried and Walkers coach told them to leave..Hixsons coach then went and got a few balls so the teams would have an even amount.....The lying and rumor mill on this page is reaching a massive amount..Only report things you see for yourself not he said she said he said..

Edited by Russ098

I've got another account of this this evening and rest assured it will be reported to the TSSAA in the morning. The referee that made the vulgar and racial remarks has already been reported to assigning officer and will be reported further up.

I'll say this much. Whoever threw things on the court from either side should be banned from any and all games for at least a year. That's Grundy or Hixson.

But this other stuff went way beyond the lines. A Grundy coach was punched. A knife was flashed in a threatening manner.

Trust me Russ098 it will be reported first thing in the morning.

Del (who thinks there's a lot more to this story and some folks are trying to cover it up to keep folks out of trouble. It's too late for that. There will be trouble over it.)

Know absolutely nothing about this incident. Have just been reading the various posts with interest. If .... big IF ... some of the incidents desribed happened, then certainly they need to be dealt with.

But ... I would hope that anyone that would get on and start this post would have absolute, first-hand knowledge of what happened before they started playing the race card and insinuating that this was a racially motivated incident. To do this with just hearsay and second-hand knowledge is irresponsible I believe.

We're not talking about if one team ran the score up or if someone can go to their left or who the best shooter is here ... we're making accusations that the "white people" were done wrong by the "black people." That is very dangerous stuff.

I'm surprised moderators have allowed this thread to continue.

If it would have been reported to me by someone who I didn't trust as a source I wouldn't have put it here. But the fact is it happened.

White trash and honkey were terms used multiple times. Now if the "n" word would have been used in return the whole world would have come crashing down on Grundy County already. TV would have been called. Johnny Cochran would have been called. The TSSAA would have left the wrestling tourney to come deal with it and so on.

But if it's done in reverse everyone's supposed to believe it didn't happen or just turn their heads?

Trust me, if I wasn't sure about it I never would have put it here. My only question is do I put it in print somewhere else. If the TSSAA does nothing I probably will because someone needs to address this mess.

None of it should have happened. And those who threw things on the floor from whichever side....that really brought it to a head...should be dealt with first. This kind of crap needs to be cleaned up at all games. It's going to get someone hurt if it isn't.

Del.

This thread has many reports from people who WERE ACTUALLY AT THE GAME and their stories are totally different(and more true) than Tavian's who WASN'T EVEN THERE. You might want to consider a different, more reliable source next time before you get on here and make a fool out of yourself. And many of the Hixson fans thought they heard racial comments coming from the Grundy cheering section aimed either at the officials or the Hixson players. This is nothing new from Grundy either, they always throw a fit when they lose in any sport. I even know of an incident in football where some of Grundy's fans followed the referees back to where they met to go to the game and threatened them once they got there.