referee decisions determine too many matches

pony20

I keep saying that because I did not see a 3rd caution. And the error is not correctable once your wrestler leaves the mat. If you are going to keep challenging what I say then why are you avoiding the fact that they deferred at the beginning of the 2nd period in a 0-0 match. I guess I missed that one also. All I am saying is that you cannot lay all of the blame on the official. If there was a 3rd caution and they had approached the table at that time the score would have been corrected.

Okay, I am not avoiding the fact that they made a decision to defer in the second OT. That point is just totally unrelated to the topic of refs who determined too many matches, as the title of this thread suggests. That was a strategy that I have no answer for.

I believe it is the refs job to give the penalty point after the third caution. So the burden is clearly on the ref at that point. After that, if the ref has not done what should have been done, then the coach would do as you have said. After that, and the wrestlers are still on the mat, then challenge the score sheets.

So we get pretty far down the criteria before you can say it was just the coach who could have prevented it.

Now, I agree that had they been paying better attention, then they could have protested earlier than they did.

On a side note, this is the first time on this board that I have seen one coach challenge another coach in the area of judgment and responsibility. I actually like it that you stand up and state how you feel without regard to the coaching frat.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say that I was a little upset when I looked down and did not see Jon Hill in the corner. He is a freind of mine and is responsible for the wrestlers at Franklin being where they presently are. I believe that he was done wrong. If he had been in the corner he probably would have noticed if his wrestler deserved a point he did not get. I am not in any fraternity. I just believe that if you look back at what happened you will see that I am right. A lot of people do not like me because I say what I think and speak from the heart. I will not apologize for that. I am passionate about wrestling and what is does for our kids. I stated my thoughts on the subject and that is all. The very 1st thing that I noticed was that JH was not in the corner. I looked at my asst. coach and said look, Jon is not at the mat. That kinda made me mad in itself. If a 3rd caution actually did happen then yes, the coaches are responsible if the point is not given.

It is my understanding that Franklin has 3 coaches and they decided early in the day, who would sit matside during the Felix & Davis matches. Coach Hill was close by and watched what happened. He is just as upset about this as the other two coaches. He went with Welder & Gillespie to the scorer's table to discuss the issue with the official. He was right there in the thick of it, debating the issue and defending Bond Davis the whole time.

KKW,

Sundancer is correct, the Franklin coaches decided early in the day who would sit matside during the matches. All 3 coaches at FHS assume responsibility for their wrestlers and the success of our program. I encourage you to call Coach Hill and confirm that we have 3 coaches and there were only 2 chairs matside. They were forced to alternate between the 2 matches. If you have time, go ahead and ask Coach Hill about the 3 cautions. I'm sure he's had time to watch the tape by now.

Sheree Felix

KKW,

You are trying to turn this in to something it is not. This year Franklin had the opportunity to have an extra coach. Coach Gillespie has been a coach for many years at Franklin both Football and Wrestling. He should and would be welcome and expected to be in the corner at one of the state final matched. Coach Hill would be the first to agree with this. Don't try to turn a refs mistake into the coaches fault. It does not do a lot of good to continue argueing with the ref if he is willing to change a bout sheet to agree with his judgment. If you watch the tape, the TSSAA would see that the third caution was given at the end of the match right before the pin. Not a lot of time involved. YOU can not go back and change decisions of stradegy that might change the outcome of a match, but this issue is black and white.

First off if you have bad ankle go freaking home it is not knox's fault that simpson(the ref)was babying blackmon because of his injury, and if you say he did not know you are wrong simpson reffed blackmon's semi match when he used all of his injury time for his ankle. Knox wrestled his butt off I cannot tell you how many shots he took, but it was way more than blackmon. Blackmon took one shot at the beggining of the period and two more in the second which were off knox's shots. If you call stalling smarter wrestling you are an idiot it is the ladies way out and there is no room for it in the state finals. Knox is the bettter wrestler. Blackmon was pinned at the dual with parkview in30 seconds by a kid knox had a one point match with as asophmore and had to injury default at knox catholic match because of a hurt foot this past season. And when the whole arena minus bradley fans boo at the end of a match it is not hate for bradley it is bad officiating. Know for 215 Ihave wrestled both bailey and hazlett when i was in high school last year I beat the crap out of both of themthey both stall, but when a wrsetler is hit for stalling within seconds after taking a shotit is bullcrap, and how convenient that when hazlett shoots the last 30 seconds of the match and bailey is sprawling so hard and throwing his feet towards out of bounds sorry that is flleing the mat. Bailey was not trying to throw he was hanging onto the underhook and he also grabbed a russian and pushed hazlett out of bounds that is stalling.

I agree with jmpknoxvillewrestler215, when you have a russian or an underhook for that matter, you have to use it you just can hold it and walk around that is stalling, I was at the match and I agree that both were stalling, but at the time when the final point was awarded to bailey, hazlett was being offensive and after that bailey just grabbed a russian and walked around with it as if to make him look like he was being offensive. And as for the fans, they obviously were booing the refs, but for bailey he needs to show some class and win graciously, I know he should celebrate, but you don't celebrate by taunting the crowd, that just show that bailey has no class. If he had any class at all he would not have agged it on. But what is done is done and you can't change the past. I will go ahead and predict now that Hazlett will win the state title next year.

Abbott - This is hitting you a bit close to home based on your response! You may be surprised by the number of officials that do come on this website.

After further discussions, this is the same official who busted Scooter Houston 2 years in a row. I agree that Scooter had an anger management issue, but from a wrestling perspective - he was a great athlete. We have MANY wrestlers that have anger issues!

How many athletes got cheated during this year's tournament by this official? I watched many matches this weekend, and the majority of the matches I watched this man officiate had problems. Maybe it is time for this one to retire!

I have been following wrestling for 30 years both H.S. and College I saw the Scooter match as well as this years tourney. I am not an official or a coach, just a fan, However if I were coaching this official you are referring to would be my 1st choice. they all make some mistakes but he is Knowledgable and conscistent and in my opinion Usually makes the right call. The officials to do the finals are voted on by the coaches at the NCAA an I believe he has been voted in aprox 15 times by the most knowlegable wrestling minds in the USA!