Admission to basketball games

NUMBERONE

Who sets the price for the games in regular season? At each school the prices were different. Why do they not have a family price set for familys with children? To pay $4 or $5 for each child under 6 is too much. It seems there would be alot more people come to the games and bring there family if they would charge a family rate. For a family of 4 the cost is from $16-$20 depending on the price. Then your concession stand food and the games being 2 or 3 nights a week. If you have a child who plays and you follow the team for support it is very cosltly. Noone ask for anything free but it would be nice if they would give a family rate or a discount for children who are small. For a family that does not make alot it really makes it hard for them to enjoy the game.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put it like this, ask the school could you join the PTO who helps at the games. This will save you money because you will get in free. I usually don't pay to get in the games because I have a pass to get me in for free but times I do pay the amount that they charge but I don't complain about the price I know the funds are going directly to the school that hosting the game.

I put it like this, ask the school could you join the PTO who helps at the games. This will save you money because you will get in free. I usually don't pay to get in the games because I have a pass to get me in for free but times I do pay the amount that they charge but I don't complain about the price I know the funds are going directly to the school that hosting the game.

Yeah but roadrunner you gotta admit the prices are kinda high. Not everyone gets in free.

The funniest thing is how schools charge different prices for different games. I went to the Bradley Central @ Cleveland game last weekend and it was $5 dollars for everyone. Then when Ooltewah played Cleveland up there this past Thursday, it was $4 for parents and $2 for students. This doesnt make much sense to me, haha, but i guess it is the schools decision.

A while back, several of us tried to figure out what it costs to put on a high school game(s) each night. From what I have been told, this is awful close:

3 Varsity Referees @ $65.00 each = $ 195.00

2 J.V. Referees @ $55.00 each = $ 110.00

3 Security Officers @ $140.00 each(4hours) = $ 420.00

Scorebook & Clock Person@20.00 ea = $ 40.00

TOTAL $ 765.00

I realize there may be some variances in the figures. Some schools and school systems may provide police as part of a free deal, some may not pay their scorebook and clock persons, some may pay their gate workers, etc.. I understand in Nashville that each police officer is paid $35.00 per hour and I have seen some games that have 5 & 6 there. This is purely an average.

If tickets were sold at $5.00 each, it would take 153 people just to break even. At $4.00 each, it would be 192 people. There are some small schools that would have trouble breaking even given their low crowds!

Also, most schools fund their other sports (tennis, baseball, golf, softball,track, etc) purely from the gates in football and basketball. We all are hearing about school "budget cuts" taking place and some schools don't get a dime from their county school system for athletics.

Moral of the story: A couple of dollars spent for some quality entertainment is a very good investment in these athletes!

Well in this school there is no other sports that this money is used for to help. The only security is maybe 2 officers that only make around $20 each a night. Everybody's parents family go to the games and the cheerleaders family's and the managers plus fans from years past. The gym is always crowded with the towns people so they are making plenty of money. The one thing that could be cut is an extra coach sitting on the bench that for some reason we have 3 coaches but only 2 do anything. Yes schools have had budget trouble but for familys to pay and everyone else get raises is not right. Budget trouble was a problem at the school but instead of taking away from athletes they took away from the lowest paid people in the schools. No the answer is not take away from familys. They can make it for everyone to go to. Noone said it was not a good thing for the family. I agree but for a family of 4 or more going 3 nights a week it gets very costly. But how many 5 year olds care who scores? And how many watch the games? When you have a child on a team you want to go and support them. You pay your dues for your childs fees at the beginning of the season. My son has to have $200.00 every year just for his things for the sport. That is fine. But when you have a family why make the little kids pay the same as adults. Yes they take a seat space but don't worry in concession you still make money on them. The problem does not worry coaches or school personnel but for a family who wants to support their child it is a very big problem to some who are not as well off as some others. 2 or 3 days a week for a family of 4 or more is very costly and yes it is great entertainment for familys but there should be a answer to this where everyone could enjoy the games.