Why was a chair thrown?

sweepit

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a post by anais316 that stated:

"That chair was thrown by one of those classy McCallie supporters, almost hit my friend Deb from Stump on Sports......"

Does anyone know what happened? Who or why would someone do this?

Just curious!

I think that Bobby Knight got lost from Lubbock and thought he was in Puerto Rico and got a bad call.......

actually,,,,

A bad call from a ref.......a controversial coachs decision......and the stress of a championship match that do not go the way that he had wished it would have.

But only the chair tosser can answer the question for sure.

Rumor has it that it was Spencer Manleys Dad.

If so, Stuff happens. Tim Manley has given allot to coaching kids in the Chattanooga area. He always showed class and has had nothing but good things to say about his son’s competitors.

Good luck to Spencer and look forward to seeing the Little Manley going to the State in the future.

Nick - congrats, you wrestled a good match.

I was the guilty party. I don't see how smacking a chair against a metal fence under the edge of the bleachers would offend someone, but if it did I appologise. And no, Deb nor anyone else was nearly hit.

As to why I was enraged. One of my son's best pinning combinations is the 1/4 nelson. Thanks to Brad Jackson, coach of ER, I learned some teniques to this series taught by one of his marine friends at a camp about 10 years ago. I teach this move to my youth teams. It is illegal to hold the chin while doing the 1/4 nelson as shown on page 63 of the rule book. It is not illegal to place your hand on the side of the neck with your thumb against your palm for added leverage. I have video at home of this exact move being used at the NCAA's and Spencer has applied it hundreds of times in TN over the last 10 years as well as at Fargo, Enid, Bethleham PA, and Columbus OH without incident. 2 weeks ago at the state duals, Nashville ref Tim Able called the move an illegal hold. No problem, it wasn't a close match and since it is not a commonly used move he probably just wasn't clear as to what was happening. The next week, I spoke to several officials including Danny Gilbert, Donnie Elsea, and the head official Mike Parker requesting clarification as to whether this would be called an illegal hold at the state tourney, don't want that in the game plan if it is going to be penalized. They all assured me that it was a legal hold and that they would discuss it at officials meeting at the state tourney. Friday morning, 3 officials approached me including vetern official Mike Craft to say that the 1/4 nelson had been discussed at that mornings meeting and it would not be called illegal unless he grabbed the chin. Ironically, in the state finals Tim Able came up as the official for the D2 152 match and proceeded to ignored the clarification provided in the officials meeting and called it an illegal hold. Is that a fair enough reason to get POed? Honest mistakes and differing judgements are understandable but since when does a single ref get to determine which moves are illegal? And yes, I did wear the stripes for 10 years so I guess I can have an opionion on this board concerning officiating.

Edited by walkenvol

tex - what more needs to be said about the lineup beyond what coach Connell has said twice in the newpaper. I stayed away from this earlier because it wasn't fair to Spencer's teammates to create a big stink about it in public. There were no wrestle offs. Connell set the lineup and if you didn't like it your other choice was to quit. We repeatedly appealed our concerns up through the proper channels within the school but it fell on deaf ears. Be warned anyone out there considering sending your son to wrestle at McCallie, if your sending them there for an education only then I reccomend it highly. We had no way to know about it because as stated in the paper, all the years leading up to this one there were wrestle offs just like at every other school and there were wrestle offs at McCallie this year at other weights. Spencer is a 140 pounder having wrestled that scratch weight in PA after Christmas and will wrestle there at senior nationals. That's the whole truth, what more can be said? We were put into a tough situation for 2 1/2 months for my son and my family and did the best we could with it. In our book Spencer is a champion even if the history books won't reflect it. Thank you to my many friends from programs all over the state that knew what was happening and offered words of encouragement. Your kindness is not forgotten.

Walkenvol,

I watched the match, I agree without bias that Spencer is a champion. Good luck to him and his future at West Point. Summer camp is not that far off and all the fun that comes along with being a first year pleb.

I was not trying to rub it in, I just wanted you thoughts after the season was over.

thanks for responding.

Walkenvol,

I watched the match, I agree without bias that Spencer is a champion. Good luck to him and his future at West Point. Summer camp is not that far off and all the fun that comes along with being a first year pleb.

I was not trying to rub it in, I just wanted you thoughts after the season was over.

thanks for responding.

Texas23, Now you've gone too far.......WEST POINT! It's Annapolis........NAVY. You owe Spencer an apology. He's waiting..........LOL

As a wrestling parent I know how emotinal all this can be. I did not see the chair throwing incident but will comment anyway on the thrower. Over the last many years Mr Manleyhas given his time very freely to many Harrison Youth. He has always been a Gentleman and a good sport when ever I have been associated with him. As a BAYLOR Patent we have had the opportunity for Heated rivalry many times, he has been gracious in both winning and loosing. Good Luck to Spencer next year!

not sure i understand what happened here. manley was forced to move up 2 weight classes without any say at all. i can see that maybe a coach needs to do what he has to to help the team win but movin a kid up 2 weight classes against tough competition and comprimising his last tournament as a senior. ouch.

Spencer is indeed a champion. He has proven it numerous times both on and off the mat. Even in a very difficult situation, where he was forced to wrestle up to fight a cadet national freestyle champion, he gave it his all. He did not run from this challenge, resulting in a lost chance to be a three timer.

Congratulations on a great high school career Spencer. Somebody has raised you well.

Edited by mtnrasslin