Why was a chair thrown?

sweepit

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake up everybody.As has been said repeatedly its nice to get the traditonal team trophy but thats what the DUALS are for. If McCallie would have won the tradtional team trophy they still would NOT be considered the best head to head team in D2. Father Ryan took that honor a few weeks back. All this one would have done is help fill the sschools/coaches trophy case and resume. Manley may have known he got shafted since Christmas but it does not make the decision more fair just because he knew he got shafted longer than the general public was aware of it.. To me it means he has more charachter than others involved. Cancel the duals and those in defense o McCallie may have an argument. Otherwise there is none. Pantheon, your middle school example is not relevant. You helped someone WIN an individual title when the previous matchups were both losing battles. In this case Manley could have won 40, or 45, hands down. I wonder what school the younger Manley will attend?

What about Smith who won at 140 and Blair who won at 145. What do you do with one of them if you allow Manley to have his way? Blair is a senior as well.

We've talked over and over about the Traditional tournament being an individual tournament. Do we "know" McCallie's decision wasn't about individuals? No question Manley got the short end of the stick. But, I thought Coach Connell was fullfilling a promise he made to another wrestler who took one for the team last year...and four out of five individuals are happy aren't they?

Then why keep a team score in the Traditional tournament?

Walkenvol, You have a point. The lessoned your side learned may be something you already knew about your son. He was put in very difficult circumstances not of his choosing. He proved he could handle it with dignity, class and character. Above all he put himself before his team. The most difficlult thing is he may have learned that you can give 100 per cent, do all you can do, give all you can give and still not necessarily get that in return ,for whatever the reason ,from those whom you have held in such high regard. Im sure he is deeply hurt in that regard. Please know as you can tell by the various posters on this board he is greatly admired by many. Im sure its been difficult for you and your family and wish only the best for Spencer. I look forward to keeping up with his success at Annapolis. What an honor! He will make all associated with Tennessee wrestling proud.

Edited by themessenger

CHARLIE-The answer to your question about what you do with the other two is quite simple. The BEST at his weight class goes that weight. Determined by a wrestleoff. What the remaining to do is they either change weight classes themselves or if not certified, become 2nd string. Traditionally nearly every high school program including McCallie handles it that way. For the reasons expressed in Coach Connels post they did not handle it that way this year. It is also the traditional tournament and most schools try to win the team trophy , but not at the expense of an individual title. Coach Connell has answered that in his post as well as he explained he thought Spencer would win the indiviual title anyway. The question debated is whether or not his personal achievement should be put at risk for the team title. Most programs allow wrestleoffs to decide it as to where an individual goes in the traditional tourney. The bumping around is usually in duals only. Sure they keep a team score in the traditonal but as was proven in the duals my best 14 vs your best 14 is often a different outcome than the tournament score. Head to Head is team. traditional is my man is the best at his weight in the state. If Spencer goes his true weight he is the best in the practice room and the state. Yet he was the one that was moved. That is the debate.

themessenger,

you took the words right out of mouth.

wrestlesba,

my oldest wrestling unit resided with the red princes o' darkness until that party year of '99, while my other was on the dark side at the mustang ranch. he is mustang 35 drew. i help at all the tournaments at the mustang ranch and sometimes at g'town and ridgeway.

themessenger,

you took the words right out of mouth.

wrestlesba,

my oldest wrestling unit resided with the red princes o' darkness until that party year of '99, while my other was on the dark side at the mustang ranch. he is mustang 35 drew. i help at all the tournaments at the mustang ranch and sometimes at g'town and ridgeway.

translation please!!

just kidding,,I love your style of prose.

Coach, How many wrestlers in your program have you sent out 15 pounds under weight and they brought you back a State Championship?

There should be no question as to who wrestles where for an individual tournament. Best man owns the weight class no question. The rest move up or down or go home - champion or not.

Ryan Scott gave up 15 plus.

Hey, here'e an idea. Let the guy coach HIS team. Best man doesn't OWN squat if you wrestle for me, and my team (and parents) knows it. I set the line-up, period. If you don't like his calls, don't wrestle for him. He has explained himself, which I didn't expect and I wouldn't do, and asked you to cantact him if you have any questions. I see no point in beating this thing to death.

[

Hey, here'e an idea. Let the guy coach HIS team. Best man doesn't OWN squat if you wrestle for me, and my team (and parents) knows it. I set the line-up, period. If you don't like his calls, don't wrestle for him. He has explained himself, which I didn't expect and I wouldn't do, and asked you to cantact him if you have any questions. I see no point in beating this thing to death.

bkpres,

there are many decaffinated brands available on the market now. :o

but you are right, it's time to let this puppy go to sleep.