Top 10 DI Coaches in our state.

tnranker

Cobb of Clarksville is only in his third year and has top 10 finishes all three years and top four finishes all three in the duals. I have been riding him hard but do have to give him some credit. This year he took a team that only had 3 returning starters and only one state qualifer, who was also a placer, and placed them in the top of the state. Not many people give him credit but he also had teams that the past two years gave Bradley good matches in the duals.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logsdon is definitely up there with the Simpson's, Al Miller, Jim Morgan, Connell, etc. What had Bradley really done before Logsdon? Cobb is a great coach at Clarksville, but he took over an already successful program. I will tell you from experience, there is no comparison between starting a team from scratch and coaching an established team.

Coach Bray,

While I appreciate the compliment, I just couldn't sleep well tonight if I didn't set the record straight.

As an eighth grader, I met Coach Jackson. He was my Science teacher who had moved to Cleveland to coach the highschool team. Bradley had previously been a laughing stock among wrestling teams and frequently played the victim's role at an opposing schools' "student body" matches.

In only a few years, Coach Jackson had completely turned Bradley around. In fact, 2 seasons after arriving, he led us from losing records each year to records of 15-3, 18-0 and 16-3. Along the way, he taught me more about wrestling and about life than I can ever repay him for.

He chose to give me the head coaching job in 1991 so that he could spend more time with his daughters, much as I have now done. He left before his years of hard work and his organization of the kids club could truly pay off. Had he stayed, there is no doubt that Bradley wrestling would have thrived under his leadership. I would have been glad to remain his assistant and continue to learn from him as I still do today.

He gave me a gift. I accepted it and only continued what my Coach had began long before. If there was no Coach Jackson, there would be no Bradley State Championships and certainly no "Coach" Logsdon.

Steve Logsdon

Edited by legman

Coach Logsdon - What a great acknowledgement to your coach! I've always admired Bradley's program from a far. The programs (youth - high school) that you have are top shelf and your parents are great. I've cheered for you boys, of course I'm partial to Oklahoma State. You have inspired many young men and I'm sure you will continue to do so. Thank you for being such a great role model for the rest of Tennessee.

Edited by sundancer

i think that the Dickson coach would be up there. he didn't have a good year but, 2 years ago he sent 5 kids to state and would have sent 6 but one of his guys had a broken arm. he had 3 placers and one state camp. with what he's working with i think hes doing great and is in the top ten

I too would like to throw in Chris Lewis as one of the greatest coaches currently. If you want to look at it from a typical perspective ( and not one I subscribe to ) he took one of the weakest wrestling areas in the state and has built a state powerhouse that is only going to be getting better with the kids they have coming up. Also, he has done a tremendous amount for wrestling here in West Tennessee. I firmly believe that without his support, along with those like Tom Marable, for the middle school porgram and freestyle club then the West would not be coming along at the rate we are. Heck if it wasn't for them practically forcing us all to I am not sure how many middle/elementary school programs there would be in this part of the state. I am sure that I would not have the privilege of coaching the youth at Saint Benedict were it not for their efforts. I know I started in on Coach Lewis but I would also like to thank Coach Delgado, Simpson, Cottrell, and several others I am overlooking or forgetting for helping the West take the shape it is.

Coach Logsdon, Having grown to appreciate the coach and the man that Coach Jackson was and is, having watched the evolution of the Bradley program, and having watched and admired the role that you have played in the process, I commend you on your fitting and eloquently from-the-heart tribute to Coach Jackson. The program, however, was a vision that you shepherded through to the program that Bradley has become. You accounted for Coach Jackson's influence in getting the program moving in the direction that it has become. How fortunate he was that you were there to continue his beginning, without any noticeable transition when you swapped your coaching responsibilities. There seems to be no defineable eras, but just a continuous Jackson/Logsdon era. He must be very proud of you, as many of us are.

And, Coach, just in case it was unclear in the foregoing, I appreciate the coach and the man that you have been and are.