Great Blount County Ballers of the Past

GovMan

Lester Whitted, Jim Riddick and Herman Thompson are the 3 best players to ever go to Alcoa. Lester Whitted could have played anywhere out of high school if he would have stayed out of drugs. Terry Whitted got paralyzed in a motorcyle wreck a few years ago.

Maryville had some decent teams when they had Rod Cross, but he wasn't "all that". He could shoot but was somewhat limited physically.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw my two cents in here, you all are talking about different levels of players when you compare some of the past with the present Jim Riddick and his crew played about as well as anyone in Blount County, I hear stories about the "one classification" in their day from players in Nashville, Memphis, Athens, Chatt. They were the best. Jim had over 1000 reb and 1000 pts, thats incredible. The players mentioned from Marshes teams also great players both Micah's and David's. I think you have to mention the lastest team to make it to the states two years in a row and just missed it be one point in double over time the third time. The team of Stache, Pierce and Martin. They knew how to turn it up at the end of the year and go to the next level while other teams faltered. Jeremy made it to 8th (behind Riddick) on the all time scoring list at Alcoa. And with as much history as Alcoa has, that's an accomplisment.

As for the women, no doubt Dawn Marsh was the best, any time, any team. I will also add, Koral Stache to the women's list, I read earlier this year, Koral past Dawn for carreer scoring, I believe to take over first place?). Koral helped an Alcoa team in four years go from 1-23 and I think 5 straight losing seasons to 21-11 and semi finalist in regions (AA) her final year. Not bad.

Govman.............I'm glad you mentioned the Bungalow crowd. Lets discuss some of ther alumnu

and of course there was David Gray. David didn't care much for losing. If you beat him he would typically stomp a mud hole in you.......no really he would. 

I'm sure I missed a few of those Bungalow greats but that list is rather strong. Any additions?

MLREB AND Govman-I know several of the players you mentioned-David Gray didn't like to lose and he could back it up because he was a Goldern Glove Boxer in the Knoxville area-David was in the 8th grade when I was in the 6th and I made the BB team and I played for Coach West before he left and then coach Lale( spell check on last name) Had an teacher my 6th grade year named Ms Cox that looked like she was a Baywatch original. After I moved from Tuckaleechee pike I lived off the bypass 1/4 from Dubbs Grill. I can remember some names like Billy Barnaby,Shelia Shoemaker,Gary Philips,Terry and Gary Farmer and Elbert Long

Mix,

Your close on some of those names ... years must have faded the memory a little. Jerry and Gary Farner were twins (I still see Jerry a lot, he cuts my hair.) Instead of Sheila Shumaker, you might mean Sheila Shumer. I too had Mrs. Cox and yes, your right, she was a hotty. I started playing under Coach Lail as a fourth grader (that would have been in 72-73). He started letting me and 2 or 3 more fourth grade gym rats practice some with the team. I suppose Mr. Bridges was principal when you were there? Does the name Karen Stinnett ring any bells? Dubbs is still going strong. You wouldn't recoginize the rest of that area of the by-pass if you haven't saw it in awhile. Krystal, Home Depot, Target, etc. Crest Bowling Lanes is still going strong. Did you live on the Bungalow side of the by-pass or the Foch Street side?

im going way back for this one, Glenn Myers from Townsend, Class of 65. Glenn single handily took Townsend from a non-respected team to a very competitive squad. His senior year he was All-County, All-District, All-Regioon, and the Blount County Player of the Year. I wish I would have got to see him play, becasue numerous people have told me how dominant he was.

Thelma "Strut" Tipton played girls basketball at Townsend in the 50's and revolutionized womens basketball in Blount County. People say she transformed the game like Cait Macmahan is doing today. She was also All-County, All-District, All-Regioon, and the Blount County Player of the Year.

I had to show some love for my family, Glenn my father and Thelma my great aunt, to get them in on this amazing list of players from Blount County. There are so many good ones that this topic could go on for days.

There have been a few players go big time division 1 and others small division 1

Lee Humphrey - Florida

Travis Stinnett - Alabama

Tom Gallagher - Radford

Micah Marsh - Arkansas State

Scott Williams - Marshall

Kenny Teffeteller - Tennessee

Maybe more, and of course there have been alot that have played small college basketball.

For all of you talking about Lester Whitted, the hype doesn't match the play.