Great Blount County Ballers of the Past

GovMan

MLREB, I especially liked it when Marshall would score and then would talk in an unknown tongue. Was Stick still about the same size? You knowing weighin' in at a robust 97 lbs!!!!

REBELRON, David Hunt would have definately been "The Professor" at Everett Park. Much like Bo Nuchols was at Sandy Springs. I've heard of burnin' of the nets, but those two could melt the chains off those playground goals.

825 Lawrence.

Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some former greats in Blount County.

Alcoa. Terry Witted,Lester Witted,Micah Marsh,Travis Stinnet,Harold Dameron,David George.

William Blount. Bobby Golden,Chriss Clapp,Stan Ballard,Mitch Parker.

Heritage. Jordan Johnson,Scott "Sleepy" Williams,Donnie Cogburn,Dexter Mahone

Porter. Ike Russell

Everett. Kenne Teffeteller

Maryville. Lee Humphrey,Tyler Gaskin,Andy Tipton,Gilbert Campbell,Rod Cross,Jeff McCord,Bryan Dailey

This is good stuff.

Stars ... maybe later we can start a catagory under cheerleading about some of the former Friendsville girls. I know all their names. Of course, very few of them, if any, ever knew mine.

Hey, didn't Rorex and Mahone play at least one year at Everett before they went to Heritage. Seems like they did.

I remember Jay Jackson at MHS ... didn't he juggle also? And from Maryville, how about Scott Hatfield and a little later, Klaus Extine.

Don't forget the Brackett brothers from up Porter way.

Over at Alcoa ... who remembers Lamar Norris? And Lester Whitted might have been the greatest ever if he could have stayed out of trouble.

Dropping back to the grade school level ... at Bungalow ... before me, Mike Hollifield, Tony Collins, Johnny Raines, & Jeff Long --- I remember watching the likes of Bo and Ronnie Nuchols, Jimmy Crye, JuneBug, Edsel Long, Mike Ivey, David Gray, Jesse Myers, James Carter, "Boo" Martin, Jimmy Rhyne, Bill Talbott ... these are men who could play the game. Any of those names ring a bell with anyone?

Govman.............I'm glad you mentioned the Bungalow crowd. Lets discuss some of ther alumnus.

A very amazing list of futre stars came out of that program. This group was led by the all world skills of Bo Nuchols. Bo never lost a bet ........or was that never paid a lost bet.

Then there was Ronnie Nuchols who was always cheered on by mother Della May. Della May would be flanked by her twin....Bail of Hay.

and of course there was David Gray. David didn't care much for losing. If you beat him he would typically stomp a mud hole in you.......no really he would.

followed by the Titlow brothers and slow Bob Moore.

Then there was one eye and two big feet. I think he played post with his comrade Ivandale Dockery.

Bring on June Bug Dockery. I saw "the Bug" recently. I think he had just turned 178 years old.

Red Headrick better know as "Burger King".

The score keeper was Danny "gooney bird" Russell. Danny was also known as the legend of the American legion.

The assistant coach was Hawk Fagg or also know as the man that took Spradlin out. One of our favorite past times was to purchase Hawk a bag of popcorn and watch him pin a kernal down with those three teeth.

Then there was Alan Nuchols. Alan was the first man to ever pack two cases of Miller lites and two 8 pound bags of ice into a bat bag. The mysterious thing was that at the end of the day that bat bag was empty. Alan was the one with the bat bag leaking water.

I'm sure I missed a few of those Bungalow greats but that list is rather strong. Any additions?

Edited by MLREB

GovMan,

I thought Stan Ballard was a great pick. But...I would like to ADD one!! There was or is this little man at William Blount named, I believe, SCOTT CUPP!! I don't care what anyone says about this feller--he will always be on my list, my friends!!

Scott Cupp never met a shot he didn't like when he was at W.B. Nothing much changes.

MLREB, I don't know if that list you gave is a better set of basketball players or furniture movers.

MLREB, don't be crackin' on Della May. She just happens to be the GO RED REBS CLUB Pep Bus Coordinator. Plus, she is a fixture on the front row at the Skeeter for all the games.

To the Maryville list add: Joe "Shake and Bake" Bowman, The Love Brothers, Kent "The Brain" Lohr, Jeffrey "Big Fro" Howard, and Carl "Buckwheat" Johnson.

825 Lawrence.

Go Rebs.