PORTLAND vs. MLK

DISS78

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really mixed on the whole MVP thing. A part of me hates that a player off the second place team got it, but also if it weren't for him they would have never gotten past York. But tonite I thought Johnny Lee should have gotten it. I'm not sure how many points that he had but I think he was the leading scorer for MLK but what I was most impressed with was his outstanding defense and when they got a 9 point lead half way through the 3rd quarter he done a great job of handling the stall offense for them and then when they finally did come up and pressure he handled it great. He really orchestrated that team perfectly. By the way, if anyone wants to talk about Doc ball with the stall it was a great call tonite because Portland had stayed in that 1-3-1 zone all game and when finally MLK had gotten a substantial lead they held it and waited for them to come and match up and play man which it definitely showed tonite that Portland cannot keep up with MLK playing man. And I will say this, Brewer doesn't look as well sometimes because he has to do too much but he does an outstanding job. He got stripped a few times tonite and had some big turnovers but he has to do everything for this team or they won't have a chance. If he had someone else, anyone out there with him who knows what he could do. But for anyone who hasn't seen Johnny Lee play you really need to try to make it to their substate game because he is a really exciting player to watch.

Congrats to MLK,

I have seen a few post on this topic that mention that is was five good players aganst one superstar. Well that is not totally true when you are talking about MLK.

I say this because MLK easily goes ten players deep. If you follow this team closely you will notice that other than Johnny Lee the other players are interchangeable, also with them you may see a player one night play only 2 or 3 minutes and the next night play 20 and be a big part of the game. It will make you wonder where was this kid last night? And on the third night he can dissappear back into the shadows of the bench, until the great Doctor calls on him again.

Other all region players include Trey Hobson (Hume-Fogg), Alex Renfroe (Hume-Fogg), Clarence Smith (MLK), Demario Dayton (MLK), Johnny Lee (MLK), Kris Smith (MLK), Corey Brewer (Portland), and #25 (Portland), (I apologize I can't remember his name.)

Congrats to all who made it, and WTG MLK on your 2nd Championship Run!

SEE YOU ON MONDAY! BRING IT Howard!

By the way just a little side note on the play of Corey Brewer. This guys is a great player who could whip up on anybody on the playground 1 on 1. But when it comes to team play he just doesn't cut it. For all of those who watched the game you must say that Corey's style of bring the ball all the way down the court himself and then pulling up far from the basket for an off balence shot (which most of the time went in tonight) is a little absurd. Basketball is 5 on 5 and the other 4 players aren't out there just to watch. Hats off the the Flordia bound senior, but under Donovan I bet you'll pass the ball if you want to play, Son.

Finally, Congrats to the Royals, Way to Put one more piece of hardware in the case!

I would have to agree with this. Especially toward the end of the game. Brewer was being double-teamed the entire time that he was trying to bring the ball down the floor. This caused him to loose it on the last possession and Portland didn't evn get the shot. It seems like that with your star being doubled while bring it down, why not kick it off to one of your more than capable guards and then allow Brewer to break ahead and be in position for the shot?

Congrats and good luck to both teams.

Thanks Doc for keeping your clothes on this time! :D

Edited by NoDoubt

yes corey brewer is a heck of a player, but doc shelton's team has continued to give him fits. brewer forced many shots last night in his route to 22 points. he banked in a three from the top of the key and also shot probably 4 airballs. the doctor chose to keep a smaller guy on him that could get into his dribble a little better than a bigger guy. brewer was forced to continuosly try to split double teams with behind the back dribbles and 360 spins where a final trap led him into probably his 6th or 7th turnover of the game and in result second place to mlk again. also he committed about 8 fouls where everyone in the crowd including Portland fans thought he had fouled out, but what would have and should have been his 5th foul 3 times was called on the nearest guy to brewer. the refs seemes to protect him all night

The region MVP goes to the player who performs the best in the regional tournament, not just in the championship game. I don't see how anyone could dispute Brewer being MVP with the numbers he put up in three games. I thought he outplayed Lee in the championship game. Anyone at the game had to have seen how Johnny Lee was wrapped around him for three straight possesions, in which fouls were called. Corey Brewer played extremely well throughout the tournament, the only time I can remember him hurting his team was turning the ball over twice in the closing minute.

I DISAGREE! I DO NOT THINK BREWER OUTPLAYED LEE. HE MIGHT HAVE SCORED MORE POINTS, BUT LOOK AT WHAT LEE DOES FOR HIS TEAM. ALWAYS UNDER CONTROL, NEVER FORCING SHOTS, AND SEEMED TO ALWAYS MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION. BREWER CONTINUOUSLY TRIED TO SPLIT DOUBLE TEAMS AND FORCE THE ACTION, LEE JUST LET THE GAME COME TO HIM. JOHNNY LEE MIGHT NOT BE GOING TO FLORIDA, BUT HE IS GOING TO BE AT STATE AND SHOULD BE RECOGNIZED AS ONE OF THE BEST IN HIS CLASS IN THE TENNESSEE.

I DISAGREE! I DO NOT THINK BREWER OUTPLAYED LEE. HE MIGHT HAVE SCORED MORE POINTS, BUT LOOK AT WHAT LEE DOES FOR HIS TEAM. ALWAYS UNDER CONTROL, NEVER FORCING SHOTS, AND SEEMED TO ALWAYS MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION. BREWER CONTINUOUSLY TRIED TO SPLIT DOUBLE TEAMS AND FORCE THE ACTION, LEE JUST LET THE GAME COME TO HIM. JOHNNY LEE MIGHT NOT BE GOING TO FLORIDA, BUT HE IS GOING TO BE AT STATE AND SHOULD BE RECOGNIZED AS ONE OF THE BEST IN HIS CLASS IN THE TENNESSEE.

I agree with KAO totally. Brewer may have won the MVP in both of the last games but he never outplayed Lee. Johnny does more overall for his team Brewer normally does it all by himself while Johnny plays under Doc's control. I'd like to see the players reversed and see what Johnny could do if he was given free reign to do whatever he wanted. I'd also like to see how Brewer would do with Doc deciding his every move.