1A - After the Multiplier

Temple beat Sewanee by 3 touchdowns, SAS isn't that great but they have had a team for years. Temple scored 21 against CAK, they did give up 47 but it looked like one of their first games ever played so that's not bad. I can't see parents reading about Temple's first year success and seeing they had a receiver with 1,700 yards receiving and not consider sending their kid to Temple for the football/academic/environment combination. I expect Temple's enrollment to grow a lot in the next few years. Maybe they can move into AA with the multiplier with their "buddies" CCS and BB.

Edited by Indian

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't expect Temple to be some dominate force in football in the next couple of years...it is extremely hard to become good in football right out of the gate. So what if they beat Lookout Valley...Valley barely has enough players for a team...that is the problem with their program...I gurantee you if they could get about 30-35 guys out for a team that Valley would be greatly improved...they have good athletes at the school.

And by the way I think a great middle school team could beat SAS...I remember back in the dawg days at Boyd-Buchanan that SAS was about the only team we could beat as we would go 1-9 or if we were lucky 2-8. B)

Edited by sportsguy1

Back to the original post , If 9 new single"a" teams have entered since the last classification there will be a ripple effect. T$$AA tries to keep an equal amount of schools in each level(A,AA,AAA,AAAA,AAAAA). This number had been around 57 schools in football. If all these new schools have small enrollments they stay in class A ball and larger schools will get bumped up. If these 9 were the only new schools that would add 2 schools to each classification level.

Of course their have been other larger schools built around the state and it throws my example off. There may end up being 62-65 per classification level. Secondly the multiplier also will cause some adjustments with 8 or so schools going up to class AA ball and 1 or 2 going up to AAA ball.

It amazes me that Temple has a 5-5 year, only plays 3 varsity squads one of which is SSA, and some of the posters on the board are already whining/crying about them. What is going on here? A private has a 5-5 year their first year and actually loses to 2 JV squads and they are a threat?

Hats off to Temple then...nice job intimidating Indian. Be careful though guys, if you go 6-4 next year you might become a 'recruiting private' or a 'powerhouse'. You don't want that to happen. After all, we all know that the ultimate crime in Football in Tennessee is to get good. If you manage to do that you must be cheating...especially if you are a private.

Did that sound bitter? lol

p.s. Temple's first practice was spent entirely showing the kids how to put their pads on. Surely no one is accusing them of recruiting players who had never played before but who they knew would be good?

Temple beat Sewanee by 3 touchdowns, SAS isn't that great but they have had a team for years. Temple scored 21 against CAK, they did give up 47 but it looked like one of their first games ever played so that's not bad. I can't see parents reading about Temple's first year success and seeing they had a receiver with 1,700 yards receiving and not consider sending their kid to Temple for the football/academic/environment combination. I expect Temple's enrollment to grow a lot in the next few years. Maybe they can move into AA with the multiplier with their "buddies" CCS and BB.

Indian,

You may be correct about Temple's "success" (whatever you may think about it) drawing the INTEREST of parents. Interest does not always equate with commitment. Please don't sell all parents so short! You mentioned Temple having an attractive "football/academic environment." I'm not sure they would be too attractive on either count. Not trying to start any crud with the TT people, but both football and academics may be on shaky ground relative to many other options (public and private) in the Chattanooga area.

surely Coach Satterfield must be so darn happy that he will not have to play the likes of big bad CAK anymore, and will ONLY have to beat Alcoa and South Pitt to win the Region.

It would have been South Pitt and Boyd. That is pretty much 6 of one half dozen of the other don't you think?

If you look at the West Tn. teams in 1a, then you would see that Temple will probably never dominate. Teams like JCS, Fayette Acadamey and the 2A schools Dresden and McKenzie and the 3A school Adamsville moving down (according to list at the beging of the thread) The state champs will from west tn almost every year.

Wrong I think. South Pitt will be as good or better than those teams year in and year out. So will Gordonsville, and don't count Cloudland or Greenback out. Further, if Trousdale moves down they will be tough too.

I said it before and I'll say it again. South Pitt has the most dominating record in 1a ball for the last 20 years. Trousdale is close. Those 2 will continue to be great programs. Last year South Pitt was easily as good as anyone else in the state and could have been state champs. We just played better on special teams than they did in our two meetings.

• 9 months later...