Memphis Has Best High School Teams

Joka

Waco, it's a dying generation filled with TV, PlayStation, and XBOX. No one wants to work on their game. Even the great Charlie Bayless said something about kids committing less to the sport in his article in the Kingsport paper. It's really SAD!!

:D

Edited by Stokomo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget numbers it is all about what you emphasis. I live in East Tennessee and the only sport that Memphis really dominates is basketball. I must say this hasn't always been the case look back to mid and late 90's. Alot of East Tennessee schools did their thing. Science Hill was as dominate as White Station is today. The Science Hill teams are still the best I've ever seen. Schools such as Sweetwater, Harriman, Cleveland and Chattanooga Brainard won titles. Several of those schools tried to repeat. So this current trend in Memphis will drop as far as state titles go based on the one game anything can happen scenario. I said all year that the best area for girls play was east tennessee even though no team won a title. Four of the top 8 girls teams in aaa are in the same region. I feel as though you could take 8 teams from Memphis and probably find the most talented teams. Its a shame only one or two of thenm can go to state. However, back to what I was saying Memphis plays basketball. that is what they emphasis and they will be the best at it for a long time probably forever. I think East Tennessee is better in football. look at the past few years Maryville hsa won 4 or 5 titles, Fulton, ae have both won titles, as has Alcoa. Other east tennesse schools have made the title game. Baseball has been strong as well. Farragut was national champs last year. Not a person can argue even if Bradley wins state that the best basketball is played in Memphis. The amount of talent regardless of size, open enrollement or whatever is unbelievable. its because they work at it and then there is talent there.

East Tennessee pushes football and the results prove it.

while the nashville knoxville chattanooga kids are playing there xbox playstation and all that the memphis kids are playing basketball. the kids familys out side memphis has generally more money and it provide them with more to do. lots of memphis live near or under the poverty rate. a basketball let them have some thing to take there mind off the worry and trouble at home and in the hood. they do not live in big sub divisions or places where you do not have to watch your back. many of these memphis kids live were the cops will not go. until you go there and live and see the projects the slum and are around the many place in memphis like orange mound you do not know what it is like. drive through the hood in memphis at night by the park and on the block and look at the kids ballin under the dim street lights. drugs are rampant and with the life many of these kids are force to live in they is the easy way out. most kids out side memphis get a shiny car when they turn 16. when a kid in your hood in memphis gets a car [most the time when your 18 or 19 and its rusty and smokes] you take your boys where they need to go cuz they dont have a car. our memphis parents care bout our memphis kids but when they in the street they are easy influenced by the older ones. these things should not be going on but you can face it they are every day. the ones on the out side looking in say why dont they move? most the time you are there in the first place cuz that is the best you can do. a youth in memphis not in a gang is in the minority. a gang is a way for them to feel like you belong to some thing. you got some body that got your back. you do not see why these boys do not go to your big prep colleges. here is some thing for you to see from some body that has been there and know what its like. it is from the heart. keep your head up my boys. some day you can get out to. r.i.p. lil smitty

blacksheep

well, i don't know what year it was but a few years ago dick vitale was asked about hotbeds of basketball across the nation. this would be division one calibur players per capita and he listed as his top three:

flint, michigan

memphis, tn

peoria, ill

THIS IS IN THE NATION DUMMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you have the gall or the ignorance to come on here and say times will change

LOL

it has been this way for 30-40 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to end this debate right NOW!!! Nashville has 1 county and that is Davidson Co. The other counties such as Sumner, Robertson, Montgomery, Williamson, and Cheatham have their own major city-school districts. 2 examples would be Montgomery County (Clarksville) and Williamson Co. (Brentwood). These counties together along with a few others (which I really do NOT care to mention right now) are known as the Metro area. The fact is though that all of these counties have nothing to do with Nashville (with Davidson being the only exception).

Well, Shelby County has two different school districts itself, so the Nashville/Davidson district may well be the largest in the state. And the point is, the Nashville metro does extend beyond Davidson. While the census defines Fayette and Tipton as being in metro Memphis, there's definitely not a continuous buildup in those directions like Nashville has going to its various outlying counties.

Wow, coach1888, I don't think I've ever been called a dummie by a vollyball coach before. Do you coach boys or girls vollyball?

and we all know if "Dick" said it its gotta' be so.

and who would ever be ignorant enough to think things would change. we all know nothing ever changes. well a person would just have to be stupid to think something would change.

maybe you should just kick it back over to the girls basketball board.

Edited by WaCoJaCo

opperman, Im not sure I know what your talking about. The Tri-Cities are Bristol Tn., Kingsport Tn., Johnson City Tn. None of the three spread out into another state. If you are talking about Bristol Va. then that is another city that borders Bristol Tn. They are seperate. No school in Bristol Va. plays under the TSSAA. I believe you have a school in Arkansas that does.

I hope this doesn't offend you

have a nice day

WaCo ;) JaCo

Here's something you might find interesting. Since all of the sudden we're talking about counties, and cities spreading out into different counties. I decited to break it down this way........

Here are the boys basketball state championsips

East - 41

Middle - 53

West - 51

Pretty even between Middle and West with the East not that far behind.