MTSU Staff and Atsmosphere

flemtone

After over 30 years of being involved in high school sports, I have developed a very high regard for the integrity of the TSSAA, especially Ronnie Carter, Gene Beck and others, however, I have a problem with most of the staff of MTSU and the way they treat fans and coaches and their staff. I came back this year strictly as a fan and wondered if I would feel that same antagonistic attitiude from them as I almost always did as an active member of a coaching staff. To my amazment, from the time I entered the first door and had my ticket punched, I was ordered (not asked)to move out of the way and the same attitude and treatment continued until and including after my team, Shelbyville, won the state title. I understand security and control but honestly, having just won the highest honor in our sport, we were treated like criminals from the moment the final horn went off. Don't go here and go there immediately, in almost military style, was the order of the time. I don't think this attitude or treatment truly reflects the feelings of the TSSAA nor its administration or members. It appears to come directly from one person, a man named Larry Counts, who seems to have a personal mission to be in total control of everyone and everything with no consideration for the people or the event. A special moment like winning the state is nothing without the ability to share it with your family, friends and fans, however, most people were facing someone with a badge on saying literally "Get Out of the Building, Now". I was just wondering if others sensed or were exposed to this treatment also. As an active member of a stafff in years past I felt the need to simply comply for fear they would make things even more difficult on us the next year, however, since I am not officially connected with a team I feel the need to share my feelings and share this with others. I intend to put my feelings in writing and send it to the proper authorities for consideration. Again, I was wondering if I am alone or if others from any teams experienced the same treatment? Please have the courage to speak up if you have experience some of this type treatment remembering change can't happen unless enough good people are willing to say enough is enough.

Edited by flemtone

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were an outcast, like the division II teams were this year, you would have been treated with extreme courtesy from the Lipscomb staff. They put on a great tournament and treated the teams with a great deal of respect - something Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA consistently fails to do.

By the way, congratulations to Shelbyville. It was so impressive to listen to the announcer list off the years of state championships. When HH played Shelbyville at Shelbyville this year, the coach, the team, and the officials were the best around. Congratulations on having such a top notch program - it really helps put Tennessee on the map for girl's prep basketball.

I have to agree with flemtone. In one situation a trainer brought in his gear, and let them know that he would have to go back after more supplies and they said that they would have to punch the card again. For crying out loud, he was a trainer with a team. Very rude and pushy, they just wanted to get it over with.

After a win at the end of one of the sessions, 3 of us were slowly making our way toward the door, talking and enjoying the win, and a guy came up trying to usher us out the door faster. Kind of frustrating when you are trying to enjoy a moment and someone is in your face being pushy. Could just be me, but you almost feel unwelcomed.

They have been treating most people with the same disrespect as all have mentioned for the past 10 plus years. You enter into to their kingdom and live by their rules or whatever they decide the rules are at the moment. They are a direct reflection of King Ronnie and staff. The entire staff at MTSU that I have had chance to have encounters with are jerks.

Yes I feel people were mistreated!!! After the Livingston win for the GOLD(Good Job Girls), me and some of my friends were also enjoying the moment. Has we were walkin out the door.... A MTSU staff member walked up to the door and slammed it...after we walked out of course, but still I thought that was very rude. And they were very rude to our crowd of young students. They were just tryin to enjoy the game but you couldnt because u had a MTSU staff member in your face the whole time!!!

Could increase attention to security be an issue this year? That still doesn't justify rudness, but what sees as rudness may not be intended that way at all. I'm sure crowd control is a major issue at such sporting events.

At an event like that, those staff members are not as emotionally involved as the winners might be, thus, they may not "feel your pain" or your joy, whichever the case may be. Those staff members are probably just doing their job as best they can.

What do you suppose they get paid for being a staff member? It's probably not much, and generally, you get what you pay for. Some of them probably do feel their importance a little more than they should. But again, that doesn't justify rudness.

Big IF, but IF something had gone wrong, the loudest cries in the state would be, "Where was security?" I imagine if we all had to work security at an event like that, we'd have a different perspective, but probably wouldn't be rude.

The lady that took my $10 at the ticket booth was nice. The lady that ripped my ticket in half was nice. I came in contact with nobody else. I have no complaints. :P:D:D

85, thanks for the honest report. That is what I wanted. I and the others that have responded may in the vast minority. I thought long and hard before making the post because I feared that as a result my team could be penalized by being treated rude, with disrespect, unwanted, and just in general badly. But then after considering it carefully the reality hit me, what do I have to lose since we are already being treated as badly as possible now so I proceded with the post. Thanks for your input and sorry I did not get to meet you at the game. :(

I HAVE BEEN GOING TO THE TSSAA TOUR. EVERY YEAR SINCE IT WAS MOVED TO MTSU. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED WITH ANYTHING BUT RESPECT. EVERYONE WAS SO HELPFUL. EVERYONE ON THE STAFF AT MT WAS VERY NICE TO ME AND MY FAMILY. I HOPE THEY NEVER MOVE IT FROM MT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

I'm with you flemstone. Maybe if they didn't have 327 staff members working this event you might could park for under $5(and if you left and came back 10 minutes later, $5 more bucks), watch and game with your family and eat for under $50, and not get pushed out the door so they could rob the next group of fans coming in for the second session. I hope Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA get so many letters concerning this topic that it makes their heads spin. If anyone has an address please let me know and I'll send a response myself.